Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I"ve read the manual and it states that the oil level should be measeured after the bike has been warmed up and rested for 10 minutes in the upright position (off the kick stand). It does not state that it should be on the center stand. There a big difference in th oil level between having the bike in the upright position and on the center stand. Has anyone received any details from their dealer on this topic.

Thanks for you help

Brandon

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just check mine when it's warm and has allowed to sit at least 15 min. since it last ran. I check mine on the center stand and it seems to work okay.

The black dipstick can be hard to read sometimes though.

Happy Holidays and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dude, do you pick the specks out of pepper too?

Jeez, here you go:

With a warm bike:

While on the sidestand, take the dipstick out, wipe it dry and screw it back in.

Now hold the bike upright for oh, about 30 seconds, maybe a minute.

Put the bike back on the sidestand.

Check to see if the checkered area on the dipstick is wet. If so, you are golden. If not, wring hands and hope that if you hold it upright longer it will become wet.

Was that so hard? Am I the only person here that grew up working on cars in the backyard with their dad?

There is no jedi mind trick to this stuff. The bike isn't going to lose its lunch if you haven't checked the oil after only 9.85 minutes upright but off the centerstand. If your oil is warm it should take no more than 30-45 seconds for enough of it to settle so that you can make an educated decision on how much you have.

[ This message was edited by: Longpath on 2006-12-24 21:07 ]

·
Registered
205 Posts
Brandon,
Don't feel silly about your question as I too was not sure and have been checking the level on the center stand.
Longpath had a very easy and obtuitively obvious way of checking the level.
I even contacted Triumph re the wording in the manual which states "push the oil stick home" does this mean push it until it needs screwed? or do they mean screw it home?
Cheers
Gavin. :wink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
On 2006-12-25 05:06, gavinb wrote:
I even contacted Triumph re the wording in the manual which states "push the oil stick home" does this mean push it until it needs screwed? or do they mean screw it home?
Cheers
[/quote

And what did they say?

When I did my first oil change I filled the bike back up till I was at the top of the hatch marks with the cap screwed in. A couple of days later when I had the bike at the dealer for an unrelated issue I asked and they said it should be checked without screwing down the cap. The difference is about 1/2 quart.

·
Registered
205 Posts
On 2006-12-25 09:19, Windblown wrote:
On 2006-12-25 05:06, gavinb wrote:
Cheers
[/quote

And what did they say?

When I did my first oil change I filled the bike back up till I was at the top of the hatch marks with the cap screwed in. A couple of days later when I had the bike at the dealer for an unrelated issue I asked and they said it should be checked without screwing down the cap. The difference is about 1/2 quart.
Funny, I was told the opposite, ie screw the cap in! I agree it does make quite a difference in oil level.
Does anyone know the correct answer :???: :???:

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
As far as I am aware it should be screwed in and on the main stand so that it is level. Most motorcycles in my experience that have dpsticks are checked on the main stand or held level and screw the dipstick in.

DaveM :cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well Dave i agree that this bike says to screw in the dip stick,

However i've owned 30 + motorcycles and this is the only one that has such a dumb request in it's manual.

·
Registered
205 Posts
On 2006-12-25 22:02, Mr2U wrote:
Well Dave i agree that this bike says to screw in the dip stick,

However i've owned 30 + motorcycles and this is the only one that has such a dumb request in it's manual.
Well Mr 2U.
Firstly, quote word for word from my manual in bold page 60:
"The actual level is indicated when the motorcycle is upright, not on the side stand, and when the filler cap/dipstick has been pushed fully home"null
Secondly, what has owning 30 + motorcycles to do with anything that any motorcycle company decides to produce today, using that logic you would still be trying to change gear with your right foot.
Personally I do not think it is dumb to either ask what others may perceive as an obvious question, or to qualify a procedure. Quite the reverse, accepting whatever you have done in the past must be correct for the future is a tad naive.
GavinB :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gavin, you can call it naive if you want, but the "black magic" point of view really gets to me, mainly because I used to think some things were black magic myself. Every time thought something was that way and then dove into it, I learned it was far easier than I had ever imagined. A lot of this is really, really simple.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the great responses.

Looks like l wasn't the only one confused even if some think it's a pretty common. I've been checking the level in the upright position screwed all the way in and not on the center stand. I've check the level in the upright position and on the center stand and there was a 3/4 of a quart difference. Either way it was still in the hatch marks so harm mo foul.

I ran into the probelm when changing the oil. I filled the level to the top of the hatch marks while the bike was on the center stand. When I lowered the bike the level was over the hatch marks in the upright position. I ended up taking some of the oil and making a mess. It also pissed me off becuase I had wasted some of the expensive oil. I was hoping to get a answer so the next thiem it won't be such a pain.

I'm going to check with the dealer when they open after chirstmas.

Thanks Agian,

Brandon

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
brandon,
it was a good question and the manual obviously did not make it clear.

Isn't it funny how a simple thing isn't always simple :???:

Good instructions are hard to beat & maybe Mr Bloor is listening brandon.

Davem :cool:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Now girls lets not throw a hissy fit. Tis fairly simple (bit like me).
1. Warm up bike.
2. Put on centre stand, leave standing for a minute or two
3. Now this is the really hard part, unscrew the dip stick, and check oil level.
4. If happy with oil level replace dip stick and screw in.
5. Take bike off centre stand and go for a ride.

Brandon mate it wasn't a silly question the manual isn't very clear and asking questions is what this forum is all about.

Mr2U I have owned lots of bikes too but to be honest I can't see what that has to do with checking the oil, but if that's your thing, I'm happy for you.

DaveM, correct as usual must be that cool Kiwi head of yours.

Gav, happy, happy, happy.

Now that's all, you girls play nice.

TTFN the Tankman

:upthumb: :moon: :moon: :moon: :-D :-D :-D

[ This message was edited by: Tankman on 2006-12-27 16:37 ]

·
Registered
17 Posts
First thing I'll be checking when my GT arrives tomorrow. Get the feeling I'm gonna miss that sight glass on my 955i! Too much - Lol!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Aye Ferris... that's Google for ya; finding interesting **** for my key word searches, regardless of age. At least it was relevant but must admit to not looking at the date. Good that the online manual clears it all up when it comes to 'screwing' rather than 'pushing' that dipstick fully home, and still gonna miss that sight glass.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Not sure what was going on back there. Still got my 05 Speed Triple manual and it clearly states to screw the dipstick home. No centerstand on Speedy, so no confusion there either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts