Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

In speaking with my brother, who though a motorcycle mech, lives too far from me to make taking my bike to him easy, he gave me a list of simple thing to check regarding my mileage drop. Make sure the wheels don't have undue drag, check the chain for over tension, is it running smoothly, lagging, missing, check the hot headers with contact cleaner, and oh...is your readout analog or digital? Well the tach and Speed are analog...but the odometer/trip meter is digital. (says I) Well make sure you haven't somehow switched it to or from kilometers to miles.

So. Anyone know how or if you can check it or change it?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
i dont know how to change that, but what you could do is drive a route in your car and then on your bike and compare what the distance was. it'd be off quite a bit if it were in kilometers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Press and hold the "select" button for something over 5 seconds and the units should cycle through their combinations... on my RS there are more combos (I think) since both temp and miles are digital, but the same should apply...

·
Registered
488 Posts
There is no way to switch the odometer display on a 2001 ST from miles to KM; it is set at the factory. If your speedo says MPH then the Odometer and trip odo will both read miles as well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no way to switch the odometer display on a 2001 ST from miles to KM; it is set at the factory. If your speedo says MPH then the Odometer and trip odo will both read miles as well.
Ah. I knew how to reset it to zero (re a post further up) but I also read that the newer models could change from mi. to km. and wondered if that were the case on mine as well. Thanks for clearing it up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well that's no fun at all :p

I think better in miles and degrees C, for some odd reason... I'm glad I have the option :D

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Whats a state inspection? I love that MI does not do that.

Seriously, I wouldn't want to do that but if that were done accidentally to Mmagus' ecm then that could possibly explain his mileage errors.

however, a KM is longer than mile so if the suspected change were to have occured, which in all likely hood it did not, his mileage should actually increase not decrease.

Example - I get 40 miles per gallon now, giving me roughly 200+ miles per tank. If my tripometer were to have been changed to register KM I would be getting a reading of 321 miles per tank.

But if it were to go the other way, i.e. KM to Miles, than the sharp decrease in mileage would be evident. The question now is what was your MPG and MPT prior to the drop off?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Whats a state inspection? I love that MI does not do that.

however, a KM is longer than mile so if the suspected change were to have occured, which in all likely hood it did not, his mileage should actually increase not decrease.
A kilometre is shorter than a mile it's 5/8 mile.

Is a state inspection like the UK MOT test which is just a safety check or is it more?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
haha, whoops I kinda got that messed up huh.

Take what I wrote and flip it around. So it is entirely possible that having the trip meter set to kilos would cause an approximate 5/8 drop in mileage.

That sounds a wee bit better.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
You guys!!!!

To change the speedo to read in metric or imperial you -
turn the bike on, set the speedo to clock, press and hold down the select (left hand) button for about 5 seconds.

It then changes from metric to imperial or the other way depending on which way it is set. You change it back the same way.

Some guy on Ebay charges 1 pound plus postage for that gem!

The odometer changes when you select the odo and hold the reset button down for a couple of seconds ...

Sorry I didn't answer this earlier Mmagus. Gearhead had it. I thought someone would have already confirmed your answer by now. :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
The ST has a different dashboard than the RS. The RS (digital speedo) can switch from miles to kilometers; the 99-04 ST (analog speedo) cannot. There is no "select" button on the 99-04 ST.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Sorry, my bad! :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts