Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
What I really mean is take the fairing off and add Renthal bars
It's not that complicated, but a bit more then that.

Mine was orignally a Speed Triple but the motor is from a Daytona (I did it back asswards).

You'll need a Speed Triples upper clamp and risers, a 7/8" bar from anywhere, doesn't really matter (as long as it doesn't touch the tank) and headlights.

The S3's headlights are mounted to the front fairing stay and the signals are on the sides of the radiator with a single bolt and bracket. These brackets are kind of hard to find anymore. Likewise the top clamp should be changed, unless you are comfortable machining the holes to mount the bar risers. This will involve drilling the rivets out of the key cylinder...whoo fun.

Thats about the hardest part to it really.

Of course you could just leave the clip-ons and get some heli-bars with a 2" rise. I've had both clip-ons and bars on my S3 and it just depends on what I'm using the bike for....Of course I've had the bike forever and have a GSXR front end and a stock front end that I swap back and forth as one of the other messes up. I also have both a Daytona and Speed Triple top clamp and handlebars and clip-ons for the Triumph.

You should see the look and the shop's face when I walk in with the fork tubes in my hand and ask them to change the forkseals...sans bike.

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
The S3's headlights are mounted to the front fairing stay ....
:confused: The S3's headlights are mounted to an OEM bracket (unique to the Speedie) that itself, is mounted directly to the steering head. The lights & bracket are rare on Ebay and likely to be expensive.
The instruments on an S3 are mounted directly to the top triple clamp, via another intermediate bracket - on the S3 the intruments turn with the steering, on the Daytona they remain static per the frame as the bars turn.

I would recommend you vist bikebandit & pull up the parts fiche for the Speed Triple so you can make comparison with that of the Daytona.

http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Triumph/TR-0606-1358.gif

It all depends whether you want to create an 'image' of a Speed Triple, or simply add bars and do away with the fairing and just fulfill the other requirements with after-market parts.
There are some after-market lights available with other types of mounting of course, like clamped to the fork legs.

Alternative to OEM Speed Triple bracket, would be to purchase LSL kit from Spiegler.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the effort guys and long/detailed replies, but sounds way too hard to be worthwhile. My problem is I 'm trying to get myself a naked sports bike, on a budget, but with no ability to do any difficult work myself. What should I do, just give up - surely not?

DEcosse, I'm sure we've 'met' on the TLS forum, but again the clocks caused problems in creating a simple streetfighter.

:confused:

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
...DEcosse, I'm sure we've 'met' on the TLS forum, but again the clocks caused problems in creating a simple streetfighter....
Same handle over there CarMan?
Maybe you could fill out your profile in the UserCP for location etc

We can re-engage the instruments thing over on one of the TL forums (Zone or Planet?) but I have solutions for fully functional TLR or GSXR gauges on TLS now (either of which look much better on a TLS street fighter than the ugly TLS gauges!)

I would say same work/cost with either TLS or Daytona to make a good looking 'naked' bike that doesn't look 'kludged'

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes - same handle on Zone. Didn't persue the TLS I was after as it seemed the clocks issue was a 'biggie'.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts