Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was loneliness that led me to becoming a RAT Pack Leader. I was tired of the same routes, running by myself. My brother, Richard, is the Great Bay RAT Pack Leader in New Hampshire and he always spoke highly of the camaraderie and group rides of his Pack.
I asked at my local dealership who was the Pack Leader and I met Geof Shuford. He is an employee of my local dealership. He unashamedly said that he was overwhelmed. I offered to help with the Pack and I immediately became Co-Leader.
Since then, our Pack has grown from none to 16 over 4 months time.
P.S. I’m not quite so lonely, anymore.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In the Florida I found a yahoo_group site for Triumph owners for the State of Florida, with a RAT group out of Spring Hill. There was no activity even though there were 40+ members.

I added a event to the calendar and noticed it had the wrong time zone - when I informed the moderator that the calendar needed a quick fix.... he deleted the entire site!!!

Sooooo.... I volunteered to do another yahoo_group site with a calendar and BAM! the Fla_RATs.

I am pround to say wer have 31 members and have posted a total of 338 x's in a year!

We use the support of the 3 Triumph Dealers in the are [which isn't much].

I guess you need to be careful of what you volunteer [or ***** about] :-D

·
Registered
144 Posts
It was easy. I ride a Speed Triple and do the public relations for a large dealer, so voila' - I became the Head Cheese of Cycle Barn RAT.

If your Triumph dealer does not have a RAT Pack and you ask, I am sure they would be glad to have you head up one. As long as you have e-mail and do everything by that method, it is not that difficult. If you want some tips and some ideas for events that we do, I will be happy to share.

Of course, being paid to do it does make it a little easier!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
On 2007-01-15 16:02, DavePreston wrote:

If you want some tips and some ideas for events that we do, I will be happy to share.

Of course, being paid to do it does make it a little easier!

Cheers!
Dave has one of the best packs around - better take him up on it! :-D

I think the best pack leaders aren't getting paid for it though - they are riders with a "almost fanatical devotion" to Triumph. Of course, without a lot of support from the members of the pack, you CAN burn out of this... which is what has happened to me now, after 8 years....

I volunteered to lead my first pack when my company moved me to a new area, I had no one to ride with, and I was looking for a riding group.

[ This message was edited by: cafetbird on 2007-01-19 21:19 ]

M

·
0 Posts
Sort of by default I guess,I wanted to keep the pack going after our leader stepped down so I hopped onto the lead machine as it is. :-D

[ This message was edited by: Maddjack on 2007-06-09 08:33 ]

·
Registered
22 Posts
i more or less was drafted. but i dont want to let that sound like i didnt enjoy doing it. (i have since retired my position as the RAT co-ordinator for the Donelson Cycles RAT Pack, after 4 years). i was on the sales staff there and the owner noticed how my customers always seemed like old friends of mine by the way we conversed and acted. so, who else to start up a pack than the guy that everybody likes to be friends with.

it was a blast doing it but ive left the shop and after trying to keep the pack together for a year, ive gotten burned out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The pack here was struggling for several years, a solid base of about 6 guys but NOT ever growing. Then the former R.A.T. leader started to go off on his own direction and the dealer asked him to step down. The whole pack came apart, and the owner tryed to run the pack. Now I run the pack with the support and help from the dealership and it is the best it has ever been. Building and maintaining a pack is ALOT of work, and can get discouraging, but when you have rides and events and your members show up and have a great time you have done more than most will ever achieve.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I was the pack leader in DC, until our dealership pretty much abandon us.

So, with a list of 163 members, I started the DCTriumph Yahoo Group. Great bunch, and dealership sponsered RAT pack exist to make money. That is, you and your group members buying stuff. So why bother. It's all about riding for us.
:goofy:

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
I was fed up of nothing happening. The local dealership had no interest in it, none of the employees rode Triumphs themselves they and didn`t organise any rides. This was from a shop that consistently sells 300+ Triumphs a year. Luckily the shop was sold and the new owner could see the value of RAT. They still don`t get involved personally but they give any support I need.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My local dealer, a big one, is searching for a Pack Leader. Do I want to do this again? Someone slap me!

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
I was fed up of nothing happening. The local dealership had no interest in it, none of the employees rode Triumphs themselves they and didn`t organise any rides. This was from a shop that consistently sells 300+ Triumphs a year. Luckily the shop was sold and the new owner could see the value of RAT. They still don`t get involved personally but they give any support I need.
Sounds exactly like my dealership. Our guy stepped down (King of Fleece on this site), and it seems to have fizzled away, I gave them my email 4 times this past year, never received anything from the new guy yet. Maybe, I'm beginning to suspect, because there wasn't anything..

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Our dealership only had a pack out of one of their locations, so I stepped up to start the pack out of the other location. So we have two packs that act like one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am getting ready to start one for our new dealership. What kind of information can guys provide me? The GM is going to contact Triumph about it all but I was curious about things such as organizational structure, meetings, events, and such. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I am getting ready to start one for our new dealership. What kind of information can guys provide me? The GM is going to contact Triumph about it all but I was curious about things such as organizational structure, meetings, events, and such. Thanks!
If you'd like to shoot me an email at [email protected] I'd be happy to go over things with you, but at this point Triumph USA no longer supports RAT.

Doug

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Get a facebook page so everyone can post up. That's what we have. I printed business cards and kept them all over the old dealership. You can make an 8' banner on vistaprint for $25. have the dealership hang it up. Manly make them give the cards out to new or used Triumph buyers. Check out our facebook page. PM if you want to talk more.

I run the DC RAT pack and we have over 150 guys on our facebook page

·
Registered
435 Posts
Get a facebook page so everyone can post up. That's what we have. I printed business cards and kept them all over the old dealership. You can make an 8' banner on vistaprint for $25. have the dealership hang it up. Manly make them give the cards out to new or used Triumph buyers. Check out our facebook page. PM if you want to talk more.

I run the DC RAT pack and we have over 150 guys on our facebook page
Great ideas for when our local BMW dealership becomes the Triumph dealership as well! We are going to gently start a relationship with the current administration soon.

As for the Facebook page... well, not everyone in our area is on FB, like maybe half. The other half I have to email... then wait. So, our folks are like hearding cats. Yea, and I told them so :p

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
As for the Facebook page... well, not everyone in our area is on FB, like maybe half. The other half I have to email... then wait. So, our folks are like hearding cats. Yea, and I told them so :p
same here. I keep DCRATS.com going just in case people want to use that one. I have been doing it since '05, and with the group since '03. There are only 3 original guys left. People come and go. Some just lurk, some post up feverously for the first few months, some you never see.

If you want to be a pack leader, just be the guy who will always try to get out and meet guys if they post up for a meet. Do a few t-shirt orders, or get the dealership to buy burgers and hot dogs for a Saturday open house. stuff like that.

herding cats.... good one:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts