Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the greatest study I've done here but I've had a few friends (3) with Triumphs and I've got my 06 Sprint and we've all had a really hard time selling the bike when it's time for something new. I've got mine listed on the low retail end of the spectrum and can't even get interest. I have thoroughly enjoyed this bike. The motor is wonderful but unfortunately the Mrs is just not comfortable and I enjoy her wanting to go ride with me so I opted for something different

I know times are tough with the economy and everything but... dang

·
Registered
138 Posts
...but unfortunately the Mrs is just not comfortable...

One of the greater values of the bike.:D

My missus is a terrible passenger, milk vans and children on skateboards overtake and she moans I'm going too fast.:(

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Hi Stinger, I always trade not sell so haven't had this issue. I know I get lower $ but as long as the changeover/ride away price is right it works for me.

If the MRs doesn't like the Sprint what about the Tiger - less sporty seating position for both of you, although it is a taller bike. One of the best OEM seats I've ever had (though a GSX1400 I rode a month back was about the best - but that bike had it's suspension sorted!). Also less Tiger weighs less than the Sprint so performance is about the same.

Good luck,
Russ

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yea, been trying to sell my 07 T100 for a year now (I'm wanting a sprint) and these things simply do not sell. I'm asking what I think is a VERY reasonable price but simply no interest.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I feel its for 2 reasons. First, thanks to Motorcycle Mania, American Choppr and a few other biker shows, a motorcycling fad has been created. A large percentage of the motorcyclists out there are new to motorcycling and want to be part of the whole biker lifestyle, which means they want a customized OCC type thing or at least something that says Harley Davidson on the side in order to convey a certain image of themselves (or if Harley is too pricey, a japanese cruiser). Another large portion of the motorcycle population is the younger crowd who only want the baddest crotch rocket (Superbikes TV)they can get, which is why GSXR's and that type of bike sell so well. I don't think Triumph really has anything that fits the fad very well. The Rocket is not a V Twin, The America and Speedmaster as well as the other Triumph cruisers have too small a displacement for someone trying to convey an image. Daytona is close but they aren't as easy to come by compared to Japanese counterparts. Speed Triple has the same issues as the Daytona. Tiger and Sprint aren't even really something that the newbie Fad riders are even looking for. Just my thoughts, I could be wrong

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi :)

... can't even get interest. I have thoroughly enjoyed this bike...
In Poland it's clear - poor dealers network and parts distribition, lot's of doubts about quality versus good opinion about Japanese bikes and their service network and very fast parts distribution.

Buying English bike brings You a kind of risk...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting thoughts guys..

ruscook... I looked into the Tiger. It came down it it and a R1200GS for me. Took both out and ended up getting a pretty good deal on a 08 GS.

Anyways... the Tiger was a GREAT bike and I enjoyed it but like zuzka600f said.. Triumph dealers here in Atlanta aren't the best in the world (one just closed it's doors). I can't imagine trying to get rid of another Triumph when I wanted a new bike and lastly the little lady was a touch more comfy on the GS and we had a little more room.

If I bought another Trumpet it'd be a Street or Speed Triple

and King Key.. I know all to well what that's like.. lucky me that Kelley just sits behind me and goes along with whatever happens

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I would say you are probably asking too much. Seems to be the way it normally works. With the priced of used Harleys dropping like a rock recently I would imagine you will not be able to get didly squat for much of anything else.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would say you are probably asking too much. Seems to be the way it normally works. With the priced of used Harleys dropping like a rock recently I would imagine you will not be able to get didly squat for much of anything else.
Maybe so.. but even asking too much most of the time you get at least contacted or a lowball offer made..

5900 bucks for an 06 with 14k on the clock. I'm in the low retail in all the guides..

·
Registered
348 Posts
Here in Pennsyltucky the misconception still exists that Triumphs are overpriced, unreliable, and expensive to maintain. Also being it's harley country it's tough to get much for one of them ferrin bikes especially if it has any kind of mileage.

Many people don't know Triumph is still in business.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The general public fears the ghost of Joseph Lucas.
Not that anything on the machine is actually sourced by them.

I like the Harley reference as well.
I was accosted by a gaggle of Sportster riders at a light last night. Most of them didn't know Triumph existed. All were holding up 3 fingers, gesturing in amazement that an engine could have 3 cylinders.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It seems as though most Triumph buyers are either previous Triumph owners or friends or relatives of Triumph owners. My brother bought one about 8 years ago and that purchase has spurned the sales of atleast 5 or six more including mine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
my $.02

Unless you're down under, right now's a horrible time to sell a bike. Who wants to shell out a few grand for a toy you won't be able to really use for 3-4 months, especially with the holidays coming up, and the economy the way it is. I think the only way a smart person would buy a bike right now is to effectively steal it from someone who really needs the cash.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A lot of people don't even know Triumph still makes motorcycles. I have been riding Harley for years and had no idea what Triumph built. I just happened to be browsing for a new bike when I came across a write up on Triumph. My closest dealer is 45 mins away in another state. I've had 4-5 people tell me they didnt even know Triumph still made motorcycles when they see mine for the first time. I bought my sprint after a lot of research and am very happy.

I think if they work it right the Thunderbird will be a good bike for them. They don't offer much when it comes to the cruiser / touring market which is the bread and butter for Harley. Sorry but I still think the Rocket is out of ordinary motorcycle like the boss hoss.

Chuck

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Maybe so.. but even asking too much most of the time you get at least contacted or a lowball offer made..

5900 bucks for an 06 with 14k on the clock. I'm in the low retail in all the guides..
I wish I needed another one but at the present time I'm good.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Can't say for your local, but around here cars or motorcycles won't sell unless they're priced well under "book value". In other words, those books are just plain wrong.

What is your targeted market? I've had excellent luck on..... fleebay believe it or not. Much bigger market, lots of buyers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't say for your local, but around here cars or motorcycles won't sell unless they're priced well under "book value". In other words, those books are just plain wrong.

What is your targeted market? I've had excellent luck on..... fleebay believe it or not. Much bigger market, lots of buyers.
I've been doing CL locally (Atlanta is a pretty big market and virtually year round riding). I've thought about ebay. have you sold a bike there?? IS it better to start really low and set a reserve? or start at a minimum that you'd take?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Stinger,
Geeez, $5900? I sold my 05 in Sept, in Northern Alberta, for $9400 and it sold in under 24hours. At that time the cdn dollar was par with the US. I also had 30,000kms on it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
+1 on book value. Most newer bikes won't fetch book value but some older bikes (dual-sports especially) never depreciate nearly as low as the book says.

When I sold my fizzer it booked at around 5 grand but even ones not yet broken-in sold way lower. It's basically worth whatever someone will pay and that's it.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Might be the economy, or your asking too much, or the fact that were going into winter. Hold off, and wait till spring, or trade in.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts