Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my old engine with one from Sandy at Triumphant so I have my old engine, '96 speed triple. I was looking it over as this is the first Triumph I have really seen up close. I noticed the intake ports look REALLY nice. Very smooth, no evidence of tools marks but I have never seen something that nice as cast. Are they all this way? At first I thought it may be cleaned up with some of that liquid porting goo stuff, but seems unlikley for a 2700 mile relativly stock bike. I plan to take engine apart to see what it looks like inside too. If they all look like this these really are some nicley built machines.
Dave

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi Dave,

I know of a friend of a friend of a friend, who happened to know the cylinder-head man for HRC. He had a T300 head to work on for a road bike. The suggestion was that the ports were not touched, as they are very large (perhaps too large) and reasonably smooth. Any work there was likely to distrurb the flow negatively (a big surprise?). The recommendation was to triple cut the valves in, and a slight skim of the head to increase the compression. I understand the owner was very pleased with the result!!!!

Ciao,
Geoff

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still haven't gotten time to pop head off, but it sure is a nice looking port from the carb side!

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts