Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After winter riding I forgot just how bad the glare can be coming off the dash on my America. Has anyone found a good solution to the dash glare problem ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
After winter riding I forgot just how bad the glare can be coming off the dash on my America. Has anyone found a good solution to the dash glare problem ?
I haven't found the glare to be a problem myself...

You might try spraying it with rattle can clear acrylic
in a matte finish. I think Krylon makes it!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured that a flat paint would cut the glare, but was just interested in any other methods America and Speedy riders have come up with. And I'm surprised that it doesn't seem to be that much of a problem with others.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've got the 2011 America Classic which has no "dash" and just a single black faced speedometer (other than the indicators on the top of the gas tank). I find it refreshingly easy to see the speedo even in bright sunlight. My last bike had a full fairing and full instrumentation and I could not reach anything in the bright glare of the sun and wearing dark sun glasses, but this bike makes it a pleasure. Maybe I am misunderstanding of what you are referring to as the "dash"?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know what you mean. I have a 06 America and I have the exact same issue: if you get in the right (or wrong, I guess) position relative to the sun on a bright day all of the shiny bits in front of you shoot wicked glare back in your face.

I've been shopping for a pair of good polarized sunglasses, as they can help reduce glare. Until which time that I purchase a pair, however, I just try to avoid situations that I know cause the glare.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Wear polarized sunglasses.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
I've never had a problem, can't really see the dash when I am driving and looking straight ahead.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Could it be a fumction of where you live? For me living in CO at the time, painting stain black was the first mod i did. The glare off it in the montains made it hard to ride on sunny days

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
I have the same glare problem at times. It depends on the time of day and the direction I'm driving, but when it hits, it's just like staring into the Sun.

As I said before, polarized sunglasses may help because they filter out directional light just like a polarizer on a camera lens. I'm not sure all are created equal, it all depends on the direction of the polarization.

·
Registered
706 Posts
That would happen to me also...come out a turn and sun hits the dash and I might as well looked at the sun...and yes I would be looking ahead turn exit not down.......

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've got the 2011 America Classic which has no "dash" and just a single black faced speedometer (other than the indicators on the top of the gas tank). I find it refreshingly easy to see the speedo even in bright sunlight. My last bike had a full fairing and full instrumentation and I could not reach anything in the bright glare of the sun and wearing dark sun glasses, but this bike makes it a pleasure. Maybe I am misunderstanding of what you are referring to as the "dash"?
It is the indicator panel on top of the gas tank, which you have on your bike, that the OP was referring to as the "dash" .

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think we are talking about the chrome piece with the indicator lights and gas cap. On a Speedmaster it has the tack in it..........

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
I think we are talking about the chrome piece with the indicator lights and gas cap. On a Speedmaster it has the tack in it..........
That's the one!

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I have ridden a lot and at all different times of day, and I have never noticed a problem. Perhaps it could be an issue of rider height or seating position.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lee, it could be that the smog in Riverside shields you from the glare of the sun. LOL Up here in the foothills it becomes very noticable at certain times of the day, depending on which way I have the bike pointed. I'm thinking that a nice color of flat paint might be one of my next modifications.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Part of why some people may not notice is because of their riding glasses. I typically wear clear lenses and so there's no blocking the sun. A decent quality pair of glasses will be polarized and therefore will filter out the glare.

Sent from my Milestone using Motorcycle App

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
On my ride home last night I took note of why I have never been bothered by glare. The chin-piece on my full face helmet would block any possible glare reaching my eyes from the instrument panel. I have to turn my head downwards to look at the dashboard directly. So I am wondering if those who experience glare problems are riding with an open face helmet (or no helmet?).

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
^^ Open-face for me

1 - 20 of 25 Posts