Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to cut a steel fender along the wheel arc? I'll need to trim a higher arc about 1-3 inches along the side edge so it doesn't cut into my 170 tire.

I have been avoiding the rubbing by keeping preload at maximum but I really liked the bike lowered. Dremel with cutting wheel? SaberSaw? Grinding wheel? I just don't know.
TIA,

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Seems like a lot of guys use a Dremel. I used a small jig saw with a very fine blade because that's what I have. Worked very well.

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks davidc. I'll start with the jigsaw and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please understand it is a power jig saw! A hand held Craftsman.
Yeah, that's what I figured. We used to call those hand held models Sabre Saws. Jigsaws had their own table and were free-standing or up on a bench.

I'm thinking a nibbler may be easier and give better results, has anyone tried it?
What's a nibbler? Is it a power tin snips?

·
Registered
27 Posts
From Wikipedia:
A nibbler is a tool for cutting sheet metal with minimal distortion. One type operates much like a punch and die, with a blade that moves in a linear fashion against a fixed die, removing small bits of metal and leaving a kerf approximately 6 mm wide. Another type operates similar to tin snips, but shears the sheet along two parallel tracks 3-6 mm apart, rolling up the waste in a tight spiral as it cuts. Nibblers may be manual (hand operated) or powered.

Power nibblers are often powered by compressed air, though electrical types also exist. A common DIY nibbler tool is an electric drill attachment, which converts the rotary motion of the drill into a reciprocating motion of the jaw.​

I'm looking at the drill attachment type for around $50 on eBay. Meant to give quick neat lines with no burrs, but we'll see!

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That drill attachment nibbler seems very interesting- - - esp. if it saves lots of dough as compared to the other types. I'm guessing it does. I'm going to check these out. Thanks Als.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts