Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying with an '02 Salvage S3. Supposedly it's all fixed, restored, etc, nothing wrong with it. I'm a pessimist so I would assume that once I buy it I'll find all kinds of problems.

It's front end damage.. and being a bike noob I could assume it's bent forks, bent frame, damaged brake components, wheel, etc. Maybe radiator, etc.

Assuming all that was repaired there could still be nagging problems (maybe a fork was slightly bent but not replaced, etc) these are the things I think about.

How much in unfixed but still problematic damage could there be? A grand? More? I know this is pure speculation.

It has a single headlight and some funky cowl on the front that I'd be pulling (who could murder the awesome dual headlight S3 look?!) and painting the bike over in black (and while it is apart probably paint the frame as well).

If I get the bike repainted, how do I get OEM decals? Do dealers sell them?

·
Super Moderator
22,194 Posts
On 2007-03-02 00:23, whodkne wrote:
..... how do I get OEM decals? Do dealers sell them ......
Here's the parts fiche for the bike you're looking at - there is indeed a section for decals. You can use BikeBandit or your local dealer to purchase - prices are similar, BB has no great discount scheme. So you will also get a good idea on the cost of parts you need.
Note that the BB part numbers are their own proprietary numbering scheme - you cannot take that number to the dealer.
However it is a usful source of reference.

As to Salvage, it's impossible to generalize - some can be as good (or possibly even better) than comparable years because of new parts; others could be hiding unknown sins. You just have to do the research & use best judgement by yourself & others of knowledge (i.e. experts).
I think if the bike is a REALLY good value (a couple of thou below typical selling price), then worth a roll - but remember that Salvage title will always be there, so re-sale will always be more problematic than a 'clean' title bike.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Let me guess. Your bike is blue with white stripes down the middle? I dont know about that one. I bought my bike with a rebuilt title for 2500 bucks same story. Everything is fixed, runs great, no problems, looks excellent so I bit. I rode it from vegas back to Bakersfield and when I got home the engine was knocking progressively louder. 2 weeks after buying it, the bike is in the shop for a motor rebuild (thanksgiving weeked) and guess what? I still haven't gotten it back.

·
Registered
344 Posts
On 2007-03-02 01:23, DEcosse wrote:
but remember that Salvage title will always be there, so re-sale will always be more problematic than a 'clean' title bike.

+1...that can be the biggest issue you will face

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you're looking to keep it for a long time, salvage title shouldn't matter, if the price is right.

Salvage bikes are a good choice for anyone looking for a track bike.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If there is a G.M.D. Computrack near you, they can measure & asses the frame/suspension more accurately than the typical dealer. I'm always leary that all the cosmetics were fixed on a bike, while the important stuff is ignored.

Good luck, & hopefully you found a good deal!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2007-03-02 02:11, S32k1 wrote:
Let me guess. Your bike is blue with white stripes down the middle? I dont know about that one. I bought my bike with a rebuilt title for 2500 bucks same story. Everything is fixed, runs great, no problems, looks excellent so I bit. I rode it from vegas back to Bakersfield and when I got home the engine was knocking progressively louder. 2 weeks after buying it, the bike is in the shop for a motor rebuild (thanksgiving weeked) and guess what? I still haven't gotten it back.
Hah.. same guy or you just happen to see the one on CL?

I figure it's worth a look but I'd be weary of a condition like yours. Did you have yours checked out before you bought it? Any word on what the problem is?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just a thought but, if you have to computrac it, repaint, and change back over to dual headlights, wont that get you back to the price of a good used one?

·
Registered
120 Posts
There was a link on here a while back to that bike. That fairing looked terrible. The front end must of got smashed up to change it like that. Take it for a test , if it doesn't want to go in a straight line it's probably bent.

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
They can be ok but are NOT for the inexperienced. If you don`t know what to look for and how to check all the alignments properly then I`d give it a miss. A friend bought a gpx 750 that had had a front end repair, it seemed to ride fine for a month or so but then the front tyre started wearing prematurely on one side.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2007-03-02 14:47, speedtrip30 wrote:
There was a link on here a while back to that bike. That fairing looked terrible. The front end must of got smashed up to change it like that. Take it for a test , if it doesn't want to go in a straight line it's probably bent.
That might have been me who posted it, can't recall.

I'll check it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
but remember that Salvage title will always be there, so re-sale will always be more problematic than a 'clean' title bike.
I bought an '04 from NV off of eBay that had a salvage title and when I had it re-titled in CO, they stripped the salvage off the title. I took it to a dealer for a VIN confirmation and the DMV just spit me out a brand new (read: not salvage) title.

I did have it checked out by a dealer and rode it around while I still had a few days to get a refund - everything is good and still is (knock on wood).

As far as the decals, I had Immortal Graphix create a whole new set for me in silver and carbon fiber vinyl (no pics yet - stay tuned) - the price was $65.00 - probably half of what BB or Triumph want for OEM. I have the digital files (tank and rear) if anyone needs them.

Still, be a wary of front end damage - scary things hide under black spray paint and new cowls.

·
Registered
71 Posts
On 2007-03-02 02:11, S32k1 wrote:
You can run into engine problems like above alot, because when the bike is smashed, they quite often lie on their side still running til someone shuts it off or starved of fuel, which also means they have probably starved of oil too!! :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
I got my 2000 s3 w/a salvaged title. The guy had all the insurance documents stated what had been damaged and all the reciepts for the repair. so ask the seller if they have any of that info.

The only problem I have found was the forks were bent, only a couple of mm out of whack, but that's it. I still ride it like it is. fixing a bent fork is only about $40 a piece(not including the labor of you taking it apart.

Definately take it for a test ride (a good one) at freeway speeds and see how it handles. or get it checked out professionally.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts