Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got the you're going to die horribly on that thing thread and a distracted drivers thread.
Here is the Just Plain Stupid Drivers thread.

What made me think of it was my afternoon ride today.
I live in a small town and to get to the good roads I have to hang a right on Main Street and go through what passes for the center of town. On the right hand side is a road which eventually leads to Wally World (source of all things good).

For those of you who haven't been in a Wal-Mart, it's basically a maze of demented souls alternately blocking the aisles and nearly mowing each other down with shopping carts. It's a mad rush to get to the deodorant first before someone else does and every step of the way is fraught with peril as the angry soccer mommies come barreling through with a shopping cart full of totally useless junk which will fall apart in short order.
I'm pretty sure that it's one of the 7 Circles of Hell.

At any rate, the happy customers eventually get in their cars and drive home which takes them to the intersection at Main Street. There is a stop sign, not a stop light.
I have had people look right at me and decide that they're more important than a motorcycle and force me to come to a dead stop as they pull a left in front of me.
Maybe the shopping experience was too exhilarating and they have to go to the bathroom?

Today was the stupidest driver to date.
A car full of guys is sitting at the Wally World Intersection Of Death and I'm on a 955 Tiger with a Corbin seat so my head is well over 6' off of the ground. Big monster bike, silver helmet, Staintune canister makes some racket and the car driver carefully looks right, sees nobody there and decides to tromp on the gas pedal without looking to his left which is where I am coming from.

This is a Main Street, did I mention that? It's not a one way street. Traffic goes in both directions.

Being prepared, I slam on the front brake, somebody in the car must have screamed at this idiot who then looks to his left and sees me three feet away from his window.

Idiotic, that's the word for these guys.
Not distracted, probably not drunk or stoned, just plain stupid.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I had one, and before cell phones were invented so a truly stupid woman driver.
Was just cruising down the road when she backs out of her driveway into the road crossing my lane.
Saw it coming so there was time to brake accordingly....everything under control.
Then she made eye contact and decided that the thing to do was to cross back in front of me again and head back into the driveway. This was a very close interaction now.

Luckily when we are young we are full of talent and invincible.
Ended up in a dirt track maneuver sliding sideways across her lawn, brakes applied and turf flying out in front of the sides of the Bonneville's tires; never went down.
Just to make sure that when her husband got the message that something happened that day it seemed appropriate to do a few doughnuts on the lawn before giving the salute of the times and blasting off.
Unforgettable and proud riding memory. Never another since.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beemie,
I had similar a few years back.
I'm bombing up this long hill on a fairly loud, Molton Orange Buell S1. It's kind of a hard thing to miss.
Somebody up towards the top of the hill backs out to do a K turn in front of me, sees me doing about 65 MPH bearing down on them and then they floor it and go shooting across the street onto the street on the other side.
It was the funniest looking thing watching this car accelerate like mad in reverse to get out of the street, it looked like a movie where somebody sped the film up.

Luckily, I was past the point of potential impact before the car driver could get it into forward and try and run me other going the other direction.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Unfortunately for me there has twice been the look from the car driver that didn't see me. I saw their heads look in my direction. The first time I swear she just didn't see me and the second time I think she thought she it was now or never to be the traffic in both directions. Both times big injuries and bikes totalled. This is why I have an artificial right hip. These were years ago and I am still a bit skittish around town. I don't want to start "it's a women driver" thing as there have been just as many close calls with male drivers. Both times were on a city main street with the car driver coming from a side street with a stop sign.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Steve,

We do have a lot of dumb a$$ drivers in Pa don't we ? I too live in a small town, slightly off the beaten path here in the Poconos. To make it worst, we have tons of touron's, that think they own the roads.

P.S. a touron is a tourist who is also a moron.......

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Steve,

We do have a lot of dumb a$$ drivers in Pa don't we ? I too live in a small town, slightly off the beaten path here in the Poconos. To make it worst, we have tons of touron's, that think they own the roads.

P.S. a touron is a tourist who is also a moron.......
And here we also have cyclits a pushbiker who is also a cxxx , here in the UK it has become fashionable to ride pedal cycles . On narrow country lanes there are hordes of them recreating the tour de France , not a pretty site oozing out of their lycra clobber like something from a sixties sci fi movie .>:)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spent 20 years in the Poconos but at least a lot of the car drivers will pull right and wave you past them. Not here in Central Pensyltucky, it's every pick up truck for itself.

One rush hour in the Poconos I'm nearly home on the main drag doing about 35 and this lady is exiting the gas station on my right.
She pulls partially out into the road, she sees me slamming on the brakes to keep from eating her hood, she does the same, I let off the brakes to keep going and she steps on the gas!
I'm back on the brakes, she stops and I can finally get past her without getting run over.

Just plain stupid.

Had a guy pull the same thing here at that all roads lead to Wally World intersection. Would they pull that crap with a cement truck?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I watch out for pickup trucks. It used to be the soccer mom's were the scariest thing. Now it seems the pickups are full or super aggressive a - holes. I passed one pickup on a back road out in the apple orchards here in NY last month - blew his horn and chased me. For no effing reason. Guy was doing 35 mph but when I passed him he stepped on the gas. And its happening more and more.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You, too?
The diesel truck boys are a lot of fun. Putt along doing three miles an hour and then the step on the gas on out comes a cloud of black fumes.
I don't know what has gotten into people, they're all just nuts.

Coming home today it was 80 MPH to 50 MPH to 80 MPH to 50 MPH with everyone right on each other's bumper hitting the brakes.
Things finally spread out a bit and I got to the head of the line and there's this woman in a monster SUV in the fast lane happily texting away without a care in the world. Speed up, text, speed up, read text, repeat.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I watch out for pickup trucks. It used to be the soccer mom's were the scariest thing. Now it seems the pickups are full or super aggressive a - holes. I passed one pickup on a back road out in the apple orchards here in NY last month - blew his horn and chased me. For no effing reason. Guy was doing 35 mph but when I passed him he stepped on the gas. And its happening more and more.

Ever notice that passing or even pulling up aside some guys is a challenge to their masculinity?
They putt along until someone moves to go by then they speed up but can only hold it for a little spurt.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Coming home today it was 80 MPH to 50 MPH to 80 MPH to 50 MPH with everyone right on each other's bumper hitting the brakes.
Things finally spread out a bit and I got to the head of the line and there's this woman in a monster SUV in the fast lane happily texting away without a care in the world. Speed up, text, speed up, read text, repeat.

Sounds like a time to pull up aside, take a picture, give a smile and make sure she sees you doing it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You, too?
The diesel truck boys are a lot of fun. Putt along doing three miles an hour and then the step on the gas on out comes a cloud of black fumes.
I don't know what has gotten into people, they're all just nuts.

I've been there! This is all too common now. And some day when I get pulled over for passing one of these jckwads I'll probably get yelled at by the police and laughed at by the texter. It is so so unjust. I don't know the answer but the police let them text.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Sounds like a time to pull up aside, take a picture, give a smile and make sure she sees you doing it.

Isn't that just doing what she is doing?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts