Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 Bonneville and it is the best bike I have seen or own. The thing is I don't see that many of them. Triumph has done a great job of resurrecting the Bonneville but all I see are Harleys. I was wondering what would happen if Triumph made a 1200 cc Bonneville with say about 95 h.p. Just made it all a little bigger and very fast. Imagine what a 1200 Bonneville would sound like with some after market pipes. It would scare the Harleys and all the other "naked bikes" off the road. Harley makes a big and small Sportster. Motto Guzzi make a 750 and a 1200. I think if Triumph made a 1200 Bonneville that would blow the doors off the others and everyone knew it they couldn't make enough of them. They certainly have technology. Its just called marketing. If your are sitting next to a Harley and he knows you could smoke him he would lay his bike down where he was and buy a Bonneville 1200. I would buy one. Just imagine the fun.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've "smoked" the 883 even with airbox intact. Take into consideration, of course, the fact that the Bonneville weights near 85 pounds lighter and the other guy had about 200 pounds and 30 years on me!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Let's say a variation of the new T-Bird with a 360 degree crank and the foot pegs in a Bonneville type position. Call it dare I say the all new Speed Twin?:eek:

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I was wondering what would happen if Triumph made a 1200 cc Bonneville with say about 95 h.p.
I have some good news my friend, you don't need 1200cc to get 95hp out of a bonnie. In fact, some are very close to breaking the 90hp mark with 904cc kits. I hope to be in the mid to upper 80s hp in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My old '73 750 could smoke the 1000cc Sportsters, and has, or had... once the Triton is finished I'll be doing it again.

As the others said you can get more HP without going so big on the jugs with the current Bonnies.

In my own case I'd be more inclined to keep the Bonnie as near stock in looks than anything. If/when I start increasing the HP I don't want the guy on the big old Harley to know he can't keep up till I leave him in the dust.

There are a lot of Harley guys who buy the 1200s because the 883 is a "woman's bike" but you set any bike up right and you've got something exciting. My old man rode an 883 back in the service that was set up as a hill racer (not nearly vertical slopes, but racing a strip that looped the hill to the top) that was fast and furious.

Everyone wants the bigger and bigger engines these days, but how many of them actually tune those engines?

Better off I'd say to tune up the engine you've got, trick it out, then if you decide you want more, start boring it out from there.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
\

There are a lot of Harley guys who buy the 1200s because the 883 is a "woman's bike" but you set any bike up right and you've got something exciting.
sorry, but I must disagree. You're gonna have to really "tune" the hell out of an 883 to be very exciting, and when you get to that point I wonder how reliable or streetable it will be. The 883-1200 kit is an exciting option, but then it ain't 883 no mo!

·
Registered
276 Posts
sorry, but I must disagree. You're gonna have to really "tune" the hell out of an 883 to be very exciting, and when you get to that point I wonder how reliable or streetable it will be. The 883-1200 kit is an exciting option, but then it ain't 883 no mo!
Perhaps I am speaking from an antiquated look. My exact knowledge of the current 883 is not very well founded, I know more of the Sportsters from the 60s and 70s. Have done a lot of work on the 883s and 1000s.

·
Registered
86 Posts
To wonder if the Harley guys would lay down their bike in exchange for a 1200cc Bonnie - the answer is no. Harley guys generally are into Harley's for the "lifestyle" or in other words the name. I'm sure in the states the "buy American" mentality is a factor as well. If everyone purchased bikes based on performance there would be no Harley's on the road - and probably no Bonnie's either for that matter.

That being said you can put all the horsepower in the world under an inexperienced rider and it's not going to matter. Case in point is my "token" Harley riding buddy with a 1200cc sportster. He fits the weekend warrior "lifestyle" package to a tee so he simply doesn't ride that often. That boy will never see anything but my tail! His bike is shinier then mine though.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Revelation - Amen

I have an 05 Bonneville and it is the best bike I have seen or own. The thing is I don't see that many of them. Triumph has done a great job of resurrecting the Bonneville but all I see are Harleys. I was wondering what would happen if Triumph made a 1200 cc Bonneville with say about 95 h.p. Just made it all a little bigger and very fast. Imagine what a 1200 Bonneville would sound like with some after market pipes. It would scare the Harleys and all the other "naked bikes" off the road. Harley makes a big and small Sportster. Motto Guzzi make a 750 and a 1200. I think if Triumph made a 1200 Bonneville that would blow the doors off the others and everyone knew it they couldn't make enough of them. They certainly have technology. Its just called marketing. If your are sitting next to a Harley and he knows you could smoke him he would lay his bike down where he was and buy a Bonneville 1200. I would buy one. Just imagine the fun.

If Triumph put Dual Disks on the front, a 6th gear in the motor, and a hinged seat with integral helmet lock, I'd buy one tomorrow.

Sadly, they won't do it. Too afraid that it would steal sales away from the very profitable speed triple.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Brit...Nope...adversely affects the bottom line relative to demand specific to the Bonnie. Triumph got the Bonny right at the intended price point. You may need a Speed Triple however.
Best,
George

·
Registered
152 Posts
The origional Bonnie was only 650cc but it could smoke almost any other bike of it's time,regardless of capacity. The new Bonnies are 865cc, but about the only bikes bigger that they can smoke are Harleys. Let's forget about 1200cc's, performance isn't really what Bonnies are about. If you really want to go fast,Triumph has a great range of sports bikes

·
Registered
608 Posts
Brit...Nope...adversely affects the bottom line relative to demand specific to the Bonnie. Triumph got the Bonny right at the intended price point. You may need a Speed Triple however.
Best,
George
George,

I understand your reasoning, I don't disagree with you, but my dilemma is that the appearence and acoustical signature of the Triple is not to my liking. I like the Bonnie and it's big band exahust a whole lot. I just wish the Hinkley folks would build a 1100 or 1200 version and attach a real pair of balls to it. Not sportbike horsepower, just 'funbike' power.

If they did, they would for sure eat into the sales of Monster, BMW, Harley, and other brands.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
The origional Bonnie was only 650cc but it could smoke almost any other bike of it's time,regardless of capacity. The new Bonnies are 865cc, but about the only bikes bigger that they can smoke are Harleys. Let's forget about 1200cc's, performance isn't really what Bonnies are about. If you really want to go fast,Triumph has a great range of sports bikes
man, let's never hang out, okay?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I converted my 883 to a 1200 and only really did it because the money was available. But to say having to tune the hell out of it to be exciting couldn't be any further from the truth.

But with that being said, I believe that any bike can be fun and exciting with a rider who has the skills. A skilled rider can make any bike dance........regardless of cc's.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I was wondering what would happen if Triumph made a 1200 cc Bonneville with say about 95 h.p. Just made it all a little bigger and very fast. Imagine what a 1200 Bonneville would sound like with some after market pipes. It would scare the Harleys and all the other "naked bikes" off the road.
Hmmm... bigger, faster, and louder? Isn't this the concept that got General Motors where it is now?? :ThumbsDown:
Bob

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I ride and have ridden many Triumph's.

Ducati, BSA, Honda were others I rode.

Rode many HD's...

Why in the Sam Hill did I buy another Triumph?

Rhetorical question...

'Cuz I dreamed of them ever since I was 14 seeing the old military models still in crates in the back of magazines for sale!

Shoot that was 40 years ago!

Oh yeah! I forgot! Mod it w/o a BB 1087 and she will smoke all HD's just not a V-rod... Mine feels like a 1200 w/ just Carb's, ARK, and pipes. A lot of HD buds are envious 'cuz I have so little invested in comparison. If had the $21,000.00 they payed for their new HD's I would have $14,000.00 left over to keep vendors busy w/ orders.
Then it would be a 1200 to envy!
(Oh! There I go back to my dream state!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts