Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

So my Triumph dealer closed down shop. Found out today. Big mega-dealer here in Houston, TX. Said Triumph USA required too much inventory, separate showroom, accessories. So, they dropped the brand. Last fall when I was in there they must have had 25 Triumphs including some of the new Triples.

Not happy. My 2015 STRX is due for a maintenance. Now what? There may be one other dealer in town, but they have a decidedly dicey reputation.

Triumph USA shot itself in the foot. Houston is the 4th largest city in the USA.

Thinking of trading the bike, but not at the dealer I bought it. Everyone in Houston with a Triumph has been hurt by this event.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Join the club, fellow Triumph member... I used to have a dealer that I could almost literally throw a rock at, from my driveway... Now I have to take a day off work, and endure a 2 hour round trip for any warranty or dealer maintenance. I’m so thrilled about it, that I sh*t rainbows almost every time I think about it.

As awesome as Triumph’s bikes are, Triumph North America cooperate is equally as pathetic.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Damn. Not good news at all. I’m actually surprised there is a Triumph dealer in New Orleans, which is less than 1\10th the size of the huge Houston Metro, and they are still open. They share BMW and Ducati, with a small showroom. They are outstanding to work with, and above all, KNOWLEGABLE. I hope they are not dropping Triumph, judging by all those closures...

·
Registered
344 Posts
With ever-declining bike sales, I think this is going to be more of the norm. Less dealerships for all brands.

I don't know if you have a garage, but it may be a good time to start thinking about doing all the maintenance yourself. There are plenty of youtube videos to help you (as well as this forum) and the money you save can buy tools. That won't help you when you need serious work done, but if it gets you through the warranty period, then there might be a good non-Triumph family-owned service shop that can help you with bigger stuff post-warranty (IOW, you'd be paying someone either way).

When I bought my bike, there was a dealer 20 min away. Now the closest is 1 hour. I usually just order parts online now instead of stopping by. Too bad, as it's a good dealership.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
I'm a bit skeptical about the complaints from dealers that say they need a separate showroom. A multi-brand dealership here in NJ that I go to displays Triumph bikes on the first floor of a two floor large building. On this floor are also Japanese brands, Slingshot cars/bikes, ATV, watercraft etc. Sure the Triumphs are lumped together on one end and there is a small alcove with Triumph gear, but certainly not a separate showroom. Some of these closings I believe have to do with how many Triumphs they are selling or aren't selling. You can be looking at a Triumph and look over to the next bike and it will be a Japanese cruiser or the new Kawasaki 900RS.

·
Premium Member
8,313 Posts
I don't think it's so much a separate showroom, but the area in which the Triumphs are displayed has to be separated from the other brands in some way. Could be different flooring, and/or different paint on the adjacent walls. Whatever it is, my understanding is there has to be something that tells the customers they are in Triumphland. I also think that's probably not so much of a problem with dealers as the Triumph inventory they are required to maintain. That's where the big cost is to the dealers.

Of course, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Triumph has been reorganizing their dealerships. They also seem to be not very keen on multi brand dealership especially ones that have the Japs. They are also pushing dealers hard which shows their sales achievement in 2017.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The dealer where i bought mine also does Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki. All in the same showroom, but there does seem to be a Ducati section and a Triumph section, just like when you go into Macy’s and suddenly find yourself in the Levi or Polo section. The Triumph bikes are located near the Triumph merchandise and clothing (who buys Triumph branded clothing, seems like a waste, but i do remember the Triumph survey asking if the dealer had made an effort to peruse through that merchandise, so I wonder if Triumph is insisting on carrying all that stuff).

In any case, sucks for the OP that his dealer shut down Triumph, hopes it’s not a trend for smaller dealers who simply can’t accomodate Triumph’s demands.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've read this same thing stated about Harleys, their declining bike sales. What accounts for the overall decline in bike sales?
The baby boomers were keeping Harley profitable, now they’re getting too old.
The generation after the boomers who are now mid career don’t seem to want to buy new Harleys since they are expensive, so that leaved tons of used Harleys on the market being sold by aging boomers. So the used Harley market is picking up nicely.
As for motorcycles overall, I think that younger people getting out of college are strapped with sizable loans, middling salaries, and buying a motorcycle is the last thing they want to do when they still need to pay off a car.

But hey, that's just my humble opinion!

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Probably due to many factors. Some blame Millennials for HD's slow sales or too many used bikes out there for less money. The drop in sales is worse for small displacement bikes(up to125cc) while there is actually an uptick for larger cc bikes. In 2014 there were 8.4M registrations, double from 2000. Other reports indicate that even though there is a % drop, registrations are vastly up for women riders and other categories. The market may simply be changing or making an adjustment. Remember, what goes up, usually goes down as well. But, for Triumph, they are beating the sales slump for other brands. Maybe it's like what BKK posted, a lot of money required to maintain a large inventory of bikes so those dealers who can't afford the inventory or their sales don't support the investment, will be weeded out. Good for Triumph, but not necessarily good for the owner.

·
Premium Member
8,313 Posts
...Good for Triumph, but not necessarily good for the owner.
I'm really not sure how good it actually is for Triumph when they loose a dealer in a city the size of Houston. I really have no idea, because I'm not in the business, but instead of (more or less) penalizing dealers for carrying my brand, I would be trying to incentivize as many dealers as I could to carry them. Of course, maybe that's why I'm not in the business. ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm really not sure how good it actually is for Triumph when they loose a dealer in a city the size of Houston. I really have no idea, because I'm not in the business, but instead of (more or less) penalizing dealers for carrying my brand, I would be trying to incentivize as many dealers as I could to carry them. Of course, maybe that's why I'm not in the business. ;)
Exactly. What is good for Triump if there is no place to buy their motorcycles? We are not talking electronics here that you can buy online...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'm a bit skeptical about the complaints from dealers that say they need a separate showroom. A multi-brand dealership here in NJ that I go to displays Triumph bikes on the first floor of a two floor large building. On this floor are also Japanese brands, Slingshot cars/bikes, ATV, watercraft etc. Sure the Triumphs are lumped together on one end and there is a small alcove with Triumph gear, but certainly not a separate showroom. Some of these closings I believe have to do with how many Triumphs they are selling or aren't selling. You can be looking at a Triumph and look over to the next bike and it will be a Japanese cruiser or the new Kawasaki 900RS.
From what I have heard, it’s actually true... However, the dealer you are referring to does such a high volume of Triumph sales, and have such large square footage of showroom space, that Triumph NA considers that part of the building on the lower lever, to the right of the staircase, it’s own separate showroom. Hence why they were allowed to move the inventory from that initial little shed of a showroom when you first pull into the lot on the left (if you make it thru that death defying intersection), to the main center building.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Exactly. What is good for Triump if there is no place to buy their motorcycles? We are not talking electronics here that you can buy online...
I totally agree... However, from seeing what happened when the NYC (sorta big, and just sooorta hipster’ish city) dealership dropped Triumph for very similar reasons, usually some rich city person with a daddy-trust-fund that just found out about Triumph as a brand last summer, will have another Triumph dealer with an upscale fooffy showroom up & running within a calendar year of the other big city dealer closing... Hopefully this will be the case for you and other Houston Triumph riders. Cheers.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
I think for NYC, there will be another dealer in Brooklyn. That little shed of a building housed Cross Country BMW for many years, the larger building had a big Honda sign on it. Now, Honda is in the small back building. I usually forget all about Honda because of that. It's still strange that there are Japanese bikes right next to the Triumphs in the right hand space across from the staircase. Although, at least they have floor space vs Suzuki and Kawa circling the base of the staircase. Ducati and BMW truly have separate showroom space. I think Metuchen sold 125 Triumphs last year and a dealership in NH sold 300. They have preorders on the new Speedmaster so some may be on view before the standard March arrival.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
We lost our dealer in Buffalo, too, he spent, IDK, in my professional estimation about 1/2 a million adding on and renovating his showroom two years ago to satisfy Triumph, they came around and said they wanted him to replace the brand new flooring with something or another, he said pound salt, come pick up your bikes. I'm sure they know marketing better than I, but I find it hard to believe they can't see they are driving the dealers out with their ridiculous requirements.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts