Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Hot Weather Jackets??

6K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  J_Simpson 
#1 · (Edited)
So where did 2019 go?

It's the gift giving season again, and trying to decide what to put on my holiday list. After another hot summer of commuting in my leather jacket, arriving home at the end of the day in a ball of sweat, I'm trying to decide on the best options for next summer's riding season. Leather jacket has worked fine until it hits 70 degrees plus. Not so good after that.

Looking at the fitted mesh jackets with a snug fit that provide cooling and protection over a dress shirt or t-shirt. Short list includes the Dianese and Alpine cafe/street racer styles.

Thoughts anyone....help appreciated.

Meantime I'll try going for one last ride today....40s predicted, before winterizing :(

#2 · (Edited)
I've had a few mesh jackets and decided I like the Triumph mesh offerings with lightweight elbow, shoulder, and back armor.
Not as much protection as heavy leather and serious armor but if you want cool in summer you compromise.

Well enough made, good fit, and often found on eBay at VERY reasonable prices in "as new" condition.

The less velcro closures the better. Velcro loses it strength after time but zippers and snaps don't especially at the wrist .

Here's the one I landed on and am very happy. comes in many colors...

Attachments

#9 ·
I've had a few mesh jackets and decided I like the Triumph mesh offerings with lightweight elbow, shoulder, and back armor.
Not as much protection as heavy leather and serious armor but if you want cool in summer you compromise.

Well enough made, good fit, and often found on eBay at VERY reasonable prices in "as new" condition.

The less velcro closures the better. Velcro loses it strength after time but zippers and snaps don't especially at the wrist .

Here's the one I landed on and am very happy. comes in many colors...

Of the three I own , this Triumph jacket is the hands down winner. Very well made, vents well, and is very comfortable. They also had matching mesh pants. Those I don't own, but have a friend that swears by them in the summer.

#3 ·
I used to wear a mesh jacket, switched to perforated leather. Not as cool, but even the mesh gets hot when in traffic. All about air flow. The biggest drawback to the leather is that it's black. Not the best in the sun and heat. Grey/silver would be better. I prefer the better protection of leather over mesh. Just my opinion.

#11 ·
I run with the Reax Alta Mesh Jacket. Good ventilation and protection. I have long arms and this one fits me well. It also comes with a zip out waterproof liner that will cut the wind if you get caught out and the weather changes. The waterproof liner can go over the jacket if you get caught out and it will keep the jacket dry along with you. The Loden (green) is a nice look, too.

#24 ·
I also have the Reax Alta Mesh jacket and really like it. I'm in SoCal and find I'm quite comfortable up to 80 degrees. Above 80 it's okay while moving but gets uncomfortable when stopped. By the time it gets to the high 80s or warmer, I use a cooling vest, which works really well for an hour but is helpful for up to 2 hours.

Another perk to mesh jackets is that they're easy to wash in your sink or tub. I use Woolite and an old tooth brush to scrub the worst spots. You can't really wring out a jacket, but it air dries pretty quickly. In the end, it looks like new and smells much better.

#19 ·
In central TX I've worked this problem a bit. Fact is if it's over about 93F then mesh makes things worse and there's really nothing you can do besides a more active cooling approach, but if you wear any jacket over ordinary clothes then you're going to sweat. You'll be cooler with a jacket that actually blocks wind because the air is hot enough to make you hotter. But you're still going to be hot.

I had to swap my jackets because of weight loss (hey my XL leather perf jacket is still for sale!) and I went from a power Trip mesh to a bilt mesh and the power Trip definitely flowed more air. I also have a 100% perforated leather jacket and it flows almost as much as the mesh making the mesh kind of redundant. Before next summer I plan to get a wind blocking light vented textile for the really hot days.

#21 ·
60-90F -> my perforated leather jacket, with base layer under it if it's below 70.
91-94F -> very small window where the mesh jacket works
>94F -> don't ride or just get used to the fact that I'm going to be very hot. I usually wear the mesh jacket even though it's no better than the leather, but at least it's white so in my mind it has less solar heat transfer.

https://joshkarnes.blogspot.com/2019/08/august-sucks-or-why-there-is-no-way-to.html

#27 ·
Honoring my commitment to providing feedback to this forum as I started this thread, ended up receiving a Speed and Strength summer mesh jacket for Christmas. What I like about it - it fits (me) well and looks good. It doesn't have loud letter branding, but has some discrete reflectors inbuilt. It includes light weight back, shoulder and elbow armor at no extra charge, and it can be had for around $120 or less on sale. Great price!

Of course the real test will be when the summer comes around. In Michigan that's at least a six month wait. Guess I'll have to be patient. Happy New Year everyone. Ride safe in 2020.

Thruxty

#29 ·
I went a very different direction for mine. I ride a Thruxton but I find that the enduro category of MC apparel does a really great job of balancing function and style. So I bought Rev'it!'s Levante jacket. I don't think it is available as new anymore, but their lineup is awesome. They have other styles than the enduro with the same protection and technology. I also wear Rev'it!'s Stelvio riding shoes. I find them very breathable and quite comfortable without forfeiting the protection in the ankles, heel, and toe box.

Here is an infographic of some of my gear. I made it for a graphic design course back in the day.

#30 ·
I have a Belstaff Jubilee Trailmaster jacket that I wear in hot weather. Elbow, shoulder and back armour. Lightweight. Lots of pockets. Good enough to wear through till autumn and light showers.
Clothing Jacket Outerwear Sleeve Fashion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.