Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
60-90F -> my perforated leather jacket, with base layer under it if it's below 70.
91-94F -> very small window where the mesh jacket works
>94F -> don't ride or just get used to the fact that I'm going to be very hot. I usually wear the mesh jacket even though it's no better than the leather, but at least it's white so in my mind it has less solar heat transfer.

https://joshkarnes.blogspot.com/2019/08/august-sucks-or-why-there-is-no-way-to.html

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I can relate to this problem, living in a place where riding NAKED is not cool enough. Saw 117°f. last summer, with a U.V. index that is off the chart. Best time to ride here is at night ! BTW: This week, they are forcasting snow. ...J.D.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had my Dainese Spedio D-Dry jacket for the past 3 years and found it great for summer riding. Unzip the removable D-Dry lining (for rain) and it offers heaps of ventilation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run with the Reax Alta Mesh Jacket. Good ventilation and protection. I have long arms and this one fits me well. It also comes with a zip out waterproof liner that will cut the wind if you get caught out and the weather changes. The waterproof liner can go over the jacket if you get caught out and it will keep the jacket dry along with you. The Loden (green) is a nice look, too.
I also have the Reax Alta Mesh jacket and really like it. I'm in SoCal and find I'm quite comfortable up to 80 degrees. Above 80 it's okay while moving but gets uncomfortable when stopped. By the time it gets to the high 80s or warmer, I use a cooling vest, which works really well for an hour but is helpful for up to 2 hours.

Another perk to mesh jackets is that they're easy to wash in your sink or tub. I use Woolite and an old tooth brush to scrub the worst spots. You can't really wring out a jacket, but it air dries pretty quickly. In the end, it looks like new and smells much better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wear a Dyneema denim jacket. It breathes (or feels) better than regular denim in our super muggy Mid-Atlantic summers, and it offers more protection than typical summer textiles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had a few mesh jackets and decided I like the Triumph mesh offerings with lightweight elbow, shoulder, and back armor.
Not as much protection as heavy leather and serious armor but if you want cool in summer you compromise.

Well enough made, good fit, and often found on eBay at VERY reasonable prices in "as new" condition.

The less velcro closures the better. Velcro loses it strength after time but zippers and snaps don't especially at the wrist .

Here's the one I landed on and am very happy. comes in many colors...
I too went for Triumph's 'Raptor' jacket - black version of yours, and gave it to the Wife. Really wish I'd bought two cos in the Summer heat, they are perfect. I can't find anything them in Triumph's current clothiung offerings, but if they bring one out in their next Summer collection, I'd be in like Flynn! In the meantime will keep checking for a pre-owned one.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Honoring my commitment to providing feedback to this forum as I started this thread, ended up receiving a Speed and Strength summer mesh jacket for Christmas. What I like about it - it fits (me) well and looks good. It doesn't have loud letter branding, but has some discrete reflectors inbuilt. It includes light weight back, shoulder and elbow armor at no extra charge, and it can be had for around $120 or less on sale. Great price!

Of course the real test will be when the summer comes around. In Michigan that's at least a six month wait. Guess I'll have to be patient. Happy New Year everyone. Ride safe in 2020.

Thruxty

·
Registered
232 Posts
Last season I wore the Nera 72 perforated both in and out of the city. Probably not the best protection outside the city (fast roads), but it’s nice it’s leather and slim CE level 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I went a very different direction for mine. I ride a Thruxton but I find that the enduro category of MC apparel does a really great job of balancing function and style. So I bought Rev'it!'s Levante jacket. I don't think it is available as new anymore, but their lineup is awesome. They have other styles than the enduro with the same protection and technology. I also wear Rev'it!'s Stelvio riding shoes. I find them very breathable and quite comfortable without forfeiting the protection in the ankles, heel, and toe box.

Here is an infographic of some of my gear. I made it for a graphic design course back in the day.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts