Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So where did 2019 go?

It's the gift giving season again, and trying to decide what to put on my holiday list. After another hot summer of commuting in my leather jacket, arriving home at the end of the day in a ball of sweat, I'm trying to decide on the best options for next summer's riding season. Leather jacket has worked fine until it hits 70 degrees plus. Not so good after that.

Looking at the fitted mesh jackets with a snug fit that provide cooling and protection over a dress shirt or t-shirt. Short list includes the Dianese and Alpine cafe/street racer styles.

Thoughts anyone....help appreciated.

Meantime I'll try going for one last ride today....40s predicted, before winterizing :(

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've had a few mesh jackets and decided I like the Triumph mesh offerings with lightweight elbow, shoulder, and back armor.
Not as much protection as heavy leather and serious armor but if you want cool in summer you compromise.

Well enough made, good fit, and often found on eBay at VERY reasonable prices in "as new" condition.

The less velcro closures the better. Velcro loses it strength after time but zippers and snaps don't especially at the wrist .

Here's the one I landed on and am very happy. comes in many colors...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
I used to wear a mesh jacket, switched to perforated leather. Not as cool, but even the mesh gets hot when in traffic. All about air flow. The biggest drawback to the leather is that it's black. Not the best in the sun and heat. Grey/silver would be better. I prefer the better protection of leather over mesh. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
185 Posts
So where did 2019 go?

It's the gift giving season again, and trying to decide what to put on my holiday list. After another hot summer of commuting in my leather jacket, arriving home at the end of the day in a ball of sweat, I'm trying to decide on the best options for next summer's riding season. Leather jacket has worked fine until it hits 70 degrees plus. Not so good after that.

Looking at the fitted mesh jackets with a snug fit that provide cooling and protection over a dress shirt or t-shirt. Short list includes the Dianese and Alpine cafe/street racer styles.

Thoughts anyone....help appreciated.

Meantime I'll try going for one last ride today....40s predicted, before winterizing :(
I have a Dainese Air frame jacket and it's great. Live in Southern Fl and it's a must, flows a ton of air and still has great armor (added back protector as well)

·
Registered
23 Posts
No one in their right mind rides in PHX during the day
i have a mesh firstgear jacket that i wear when i have to go to phx for a meeting. i'm wearing the liner leaving the verde valley at 7am, but not on the way home at 4pm. i even have to pull off at black canyon to make sure the bike's tires aren't melting.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I've had a few mesh jackets and decided I like the Triumph mesh offerings with lightweight elbow, shoulder, and back armor.
Not as much protection as heavy leather and serious armor but if you want cool in summer you compromise.

Well enough made, good fit, and often found on eBay at VERY reasonable prices in "as new" condition.

The less velcro closures the better. Velcro loses it strength after time but zippers and snaps don't especially at the wrist .

Here's the one I landed on and am very happy. comes in many colors...

Of the three I own , this Triumph jacket is the hands down winner. Very well made, vents well, and is very comfortable. They also had matching mesh pants. Those I don't own, but have a friend that swears by them in the summer.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
i have a mesh firstgear jacket that i wear when i have to go to phx for a meeting. i'm wearing the liner leaving the verde valley at 7am, but not on the way home at 4pm. i even have to pull off at black canyon to make sure the bike's tires aren't melting.
Phoenix... valley of the sun and where there are the most black cars I've ever seen anywhere and can't understand why?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I run with the Reax Alta Mesh Jacket. Good ventilation and protection. I have long arms and this one fits me well. It also comes with a zip out waterproof liner that will cut the wind if you get caught out and the weather changes. The waterproof liner can go over the jacket if you get caught out and it will keep the jacket dry along with you. The Loden (green) is a nice look, too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For me, there is nothing better than BMW AirFlow. I have mine for at least 10 years and it is perfect for summer riding in weather in California.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
The majority of SUV drivers in Florida I would wager don't go Everglades romping. I've seen those Everglade rigs jacked way up. Maybe some Jeep drivers are on the beach surf casting, but it's more a status symbol for most.

·
Registered
307 Posts
In central TX I've worked this problem a bit. Fact is if it's over about 93F then mesh makes things worse and there's really nothing you can do besides a more active cooling approach, but if you wear any jacket over ordinary clothes then you're going to sweat. You'll be cooler with a jacket that actually blocks wind because the air is hot enough to make you hotter. But you're still going to be hot.

I had to swap my jackets because of weight loss (hey my XL leather perf jacket is still for sale!) and I went from a power Trip mesh to a bilt mesh and the power Trip definitely flowed more air. I also have a 100% perforated leather jacket and it flows almost as much as the mesh making the mesh kind of redundant. Before next summer I plan to get a wind blocking light vented textile for the really hot days.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts