Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my TT to the dealership to pick up a new clutch cable. While I was there I tried to have them put in the triumph aftermarket tune. Once they put it in, whenever they reved the engine it would die. They said it was probably some sort of leak or a bad 02 sensor or something like that. I had to put the stock tune back in. Has anyone had issues like this? He said it could be a couple things and that he'd need some time to look at it ($$$ which I don't have). Anyone have any ideas? Thanks. As of now it runs well, I don't think it's worth spending 300 dollars to fix something when it still runs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
what tune did they load and what mods do you have? If going back to the stock tune worked, it would be hard to say that a leak caused the problem.

·
Super Moderator
8,839 Posts
If it runs well now, leave it alone. I am a little confused about what the dealership told you, since it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tune

I have a two brothers exhaust and a K&N Filter (both put on by former owner). My battery was dead (which is what they originally thought the tune problem was) so they replaced it (it was only 12.2 and a dead battery is usually measured at 12.4 or something like that). This makes sense since I've had occasional starting issues (it would just click and not turn over until i put it in first, rolled it forward and dumped the clutch and hit the starter). They said the starting issue was probably also due to the starter solenoid (the bike turned over when they hit the sol with a hammer). I replaced the battery and have the solenoid on order (on 47$ and I think I can do it myself).

Back to the tune issue . . . they said the bike might work on stock tune since it runs richer. I was there the whole time and heard it start up just fine, rev then cut out. He said there might be a leak somewhere (i believe I heard "blowoff" in there somewhere) that was throwing off the computer or it needed the throttle bodies adjusted (It's getting close to 10,000 miles- 2,000 more to that expensive service). He said he hasn't seen anything like it before and would need to look at it (it was an hour till they closed so doing it that day wasn't an option).

They refunded me the labor so they're not running me through the wringer. I can call them back and get his guesses about what was wrong. I was hoping someone else had the same issue.

What's the difference between the tunes (ie is it worth looking into)? I'm happy with the way it runs but disappointed that I can't get it running the best it could be (it's an 01). I kinda doubt it'll be worth the $300+ (just a guess) to figure out what's wrong. I don't really want to buy a tuneboy just to figure out something needs to be replaced (I'm a recent graduate and the student loan bills are starting to come in).

So I guess what I'm asking is;
1. Has anyone had a similar problem?
2. Is the new tune worth it?
3. Can I borrow 20 bucks?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tune II

To answer the one question that I didn't before: They said there were only two tunes, the stock and the after market. Are there more tunes? If what they said didn't make sense it may have been in part my memory/interpretation of what they said. There is another dealership not too far away, but these guys were pretty friendly (they were the only ones that said the service was changed to 6,000 miles (not 5,000) which the other shop neglected to mention (hence why I am hesitant to go to them).

·
Super Moderator
8,839 Posts
If your bike is a 2000 or 2001, there are two official maps. One map is for the stock can, the other is for an open can. Most bikes end up with a 2002 and later map, regardless of year. All these maps are a bit different. It's a little confusing. If you really want to be confused, you can look at the TuneBoy website and see all the different maps Triumph has out for TT600s and S4s. They are very specific in their applications, but for the most part, they work pretty well in various different bikes other than the original intention.

So, when the dealer tells you there are only two maps, what they mean is there are two official maps from Triumph intended for your bike. If it is a 2002 or later bike, there is only one. If it is an S4, there's only one.

Most of us ignored the official line and just loaded maps until one turned out to work the best. For TT600s, it's the 2002 and later map, and for S4s it's the California AI map. An interesting part of the California map is no ignition map hole around 3000 rpm. Some people have had good results from using the 2001 open can map in an S4, except it sometimes kills the clocks for reasons I'm not sure anybody ever figured out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts