Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since doing the NARK and adding a Procom igniter, I'm having some problems with hot starting. Idle is 1000RPM, pilots are 40s, 2.5 turns out. Bike idles fine once it starts, carbs are jumpered across vac ports. Suggestions?

[ This message was edited by: stu on 2006-11-15 20:38 ]

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mine starts better hot than cold I have 42 pilots and about 2.5 turns, try richening the idle mixture out to even as far as 3.5 or4 turns. If thats better than you might need some 42 pilots
Does it run OK with the carbs jumpered across vac ports? If so leave it.
The best way would be to get it on a dyno.
Also you could swap back to the stock igniter and see if it starts better with it.
Darcy

[ This message was edited by: DickBender on 2006-11-16 00:33 ]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Stu,for what's it's worth I experienced the same problem adding the igniter.I found myself fouling plugs frequently and slow starts when warm.I've removed the igniter and the bike went back to normal.What I'm going to try next is the igniter with nology wires and coils,but that won't be until spring.I feel that the igniter may increase the timing so I think that a increase in spark may help weather its a hotter plug or the coils and wires.Good Luck

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Sounds familiar! Some reported the early Procom igniters (sold on E-bay) had problems starting hot...later some reported later ones had problems starting cold...recently I have read threads where users have said they start fine hot or cold. My conclusion is they may have the early bugs worked out; however, I hate it when someone builds something electronic with flaws and sells it until they finally get it right--you never know whether you are getting one with a flaw or not. The ones Jojje changes the rev limit on WORK fine...wish he did it for us in the States!

Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts