Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the mist of a minor restoration on a 67' bonneville. I thought I was there, but 1.. it doesn't start, and 2 the coils get extremely hot to the touch when the battery is connected.. Appears to be wired correctly, but obviouslly not.. Anyone else had a problem like this? Must be a ground or short someplace.... It's getting spark and gas, but not starting... timing problem???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the mist of a minor restoration on a 67' bonneville. I thought I was there, but 1.. it doesn't start, and 2 the coils get extremely hot to the touch when the battery is connected.. Appears to be wired correctly, but obviouslly not.. Anyone else had a problem like this? Must be a ground or short someplace.... It's getting spark and gas, but not starting... timing problem???

probably not wired right, but used haynes mannual...Took a look at a local shop where they were selling a 68' and it look like I had it right...
12v coils I have lucas and another brand, but their both doing the same thing..
I'm fairly new to working on bikes.. I appreciate the help and thanks for taking time to view my thread...

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've experienced a 'hot coil' before... ignition key left on and only one got hot. You've got a wiring problem. Coil power should be coming from ignition switch and you probably have something clunky between your ignition (points?) and your coils. If you have points, double-check that the insulators are installed correctly ...

·
Registered
970 Posts
this is just a guess, But if I were you I would remove the ground wires from the coils, and check along them to find an unwanted ground connection. A favourite place for this is the insulated plastic bush on which the points arms pivot, failing. Often they are compromised by a steel washer, stray filament of wire or being forgotten.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks a lot to everyone who has taken time to respond. I'll be out there ASAP to give these things a go...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts