Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The short answer is yes. Tuneboy can help you sort out hour problem. In and of itself it won't allow you to solve your problem.

Tune boy can: Diagnose faulty sensors, read ECM fault codes, and zero out your ECM if for some reason it has developed a software problem.

From your description I would guess you have a mechanical problem somewhere, but it could be anything.

Here are some things that could be causing increased fuel consumption:

1) A leaky fuel injector. (Tuneboy can't help.)
2) A faulty Ambient Temperature sensor. (Tuneboy may help diagnose.)
3) A faulty O2 sensor (Lambda Sensor). (Tuneboy may help diagnose.)
4) Valves poorly adjusted. (Tuneboy can't help.)
5) A faulty Throttle Position Sensor. (Tuneboy may help diagnose.)
6) A faulty Barometric Pressure Sensor. (Tuneboy may help diagnose.)
7) A clogged air filter. (Tuneboy can't help.)
8) A faulty thermostat. (Tuneboy probably can't help.)
9) A vacuum leak. (Tuneboy can't help.)

There are a few other possibilities where Tuneboy would be helpful, and also some where it can't possibly help.

It's a good tool to have in the toolbox any way you look at it.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Add one more - faulty engine temp sensor.

This would be my first guess. It will cause the engine to stay in a rich condition and burn lots of fuel.

It might be as simple as a bad connection/corrosion.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Home mechanics build up their tool inventory, spanners sockets etc etc etc. Now with these new fangled electronics popping up all over the place, think of tuneboy as another tool for the toolbox.

As I said before we're mighty lucky that our Triumphs are probably the only bikes that permit us to peek under the electronic hood via tuneboy.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I too get pretty bad mileage (and sooty exhaust pipe). My dealer is too far away for me to be able to go back and forth with them repeatedly. Would the dealer's diagnostic tool be able to idenitfy which problem it is quickly, or do you expect they'd have to go through hit/miss scenarios?

Capt.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2007-01-19 15:23, Captain_Rat wrote:
I too get pretty bad mileage (and sooty exhaust pipe). My dealer is too far away for me to be able to go back and forth with them repeatedly. Would the dealer's diagnostic tool be able to idenitfy which problem it is quickly, or do you expect they'd have to go through hit/miss scenarios?

Capt.
Captain rat, did you ever figure your mileage problem?

Still trying for me. Im bidding on some injectors on ebay, and hopefully that will solve it. I dunno. My spark plugs 2 and 3 are always dirty within a few miles.

I added a tune the other day, and i got 33 mpg.

I also got some errors on the tune boy, saying my idle motor something was malfunctioning.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Roadkill,
I would suggest finding the problem with the ISCV.

Also, if you simply send your injectors out to be cleaned and flowed, you will be better off than just getting someone elses old injectors, that may not be any better. And it should be cheaper.

With the flow numbers, you can also blueprint the flow for the cylinders that need/want more or less flow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts