Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It normally takes a lot for me to get upset and complain about service employees, but what I recently went through with California Triumph in Mountain View, Ca., pissed me off.
About two months ago I called their parts department and asked to order and purchase the rider's backrest for the long haul seat on my 2010 Tbird. I was told that they did not have any in stock and were on back order and would take weeks to get in. I decided to take his word for it and figured I could wait.
I waited a whole two weeks and went ahead and ordered the backrest on their website. After a couple days I received an email from the parts department stating they did not have it in stock; no explanation. I emailed them back, twice, and asked if my credit card was charged and to make sure I was refunded if it was charged.
A few days went by with no answer and I finally called. The salesman was rude and told me that there was no reason to refund my card since it was never ordered. I asked him how long it would take to get it. He told me its on back order. At this time I am getting upset since he is not trying to explain to me why it could not be ordered; it was like pulling teeth to get info from him. I asked how long it would take if it was ordered, and he said no one in the US had it in stock. I asked how can they get one for me. He said the backrest would come from England. I continued to pull teeth and asked him, if he ordered it, how long would it take. His answer was, one week, two months, a year - I have no idea. At this point I just hung up.
That was in September. Last week, I decided I had nothing to lose and went ahead and ordered the backrest from Pure-Triumph.com, which is located in Florida. I received it in 6 days. I cannot, for the life of me understand why California Triumph pulled my leg, not once, not twice, but three different times. I have been to their shop numerous times and I have to say that their sales people and service department are top notch, however, I will not go there again due to the horrible experience I had with their parts department.
I will, however, shop regularly online with Pure-Triumph - Thank you Pure Triumph.

·
Registered
2010 Thunderbird 1600
710 Posts
I have ordered from Pure Triumph before with good results also. That is if they can actually get the part. The wife had ordered a shirt for me and at first it was back order , then after three months and a few calls they found out it was discontinued, so I got the chrome line brake pedal instead and it arrived in three days.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
It can be VERY frustrating, and I don't entirely blame the dealers at all...they must build up some kind of immune system to people ordering Triumph parts...Triumph is clearly dropping the ball on this issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It can be VERY frustrating, and I don't entirely blame the dealers at all...they must build up some kind of immune system to people ordering Triumph parts...Triumph is clearly dropping the ball on this issue.
It is story like this make me considering more and more on getting a Victory instead of Tbird. JMO.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts

I don't have any problems and I have ordered a lot of stuff. There have been a few delays, but the dealer was always able to tell me the approximate wait time and the parts always showed up on or before the anticipated delivery date. In the case of my bags, the delay was longer than I liked, but the bags still showed up as promised.

I don't think Triumph is the one dropping the ball and I do blame the dealers. I order Triumph parts from my dealer ... no problem. 95Bravo orders from his dealer and it's a disaster. How is that Triumphs issue? The dealer salesman was obnoxious. Again, how is that caused by Triumph?

Triumph is not perfect and occasionally, I get annoyed by them. But overall, they are a good company with a great product.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
It is story like this make me considering more and more on getting a Victory instead of Tbird. JMO.
Go ahead ... Victory makes a good product also. While you're deciding, I'm having a ball racking up the miles on my T'Bird.

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
But in this case I don't think Triumph is to blame. If the dealer would have been honest and upfront in the begining, perhaps 95Bravo wouldn't have felt the need to take his business to Pure-Triumph in Florida. Instead, they couldn't even answer the simple question that was being asked of them.

There's a popular aftermarket parts distributer for Bonnevilles I used as my primary supplier, but after being crapped on by them on more than one occasion, I've shifted my business to someone else who provides the same parts who better understands the meaning of good customer service.

If you're in the business of providing customer service, GOOD customer service is everything. It's what differentiates you from everyone else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a similar horrible experience here in West Texas, so I now only deal with PJ's in New Mexico (3.5 hours away). I will only spend my $$$ with businesses that have some customer service skills.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
FWIW, I've bought 3 new Triumphs from Cal since 2000. And even now that I live 100-odd miles away and have several dealers closer, I favor them for any service I don't do myself. Granted, I don't often order parts from them, but the few times I have it hasn't been a problem.

I wonder if turn-over has led to some poor staffing, if you just got a fluke deal, or if things really have changed for the worse there.

·
Registered
684 Posts
You should consider writing a letter to the dealerships general manager. It might make a difference. Every business has their share of bad employees. As a consumer it is in your own best interest to report poor experiences. You might be pleasantly surprised the next time you need to order a part, and find a much better attitude with their parts department, and possibly different staff as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts