Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another RAT forum but thought it might also be appropriate here for all Triumph riders:

Screaming Banshee Horn
I've always been reluctant to install a louder horn on my 'Bird. I always thought the original was fine. Then I almost got clipped by a soccer mom yacking on the phone while she drifted into the passing lane at 70 mph. I backed off and hit the horn, but she just kept coming. Time for a new horn.

I settled on a Screaming Banshee. 139 decibels of modulating noise.

http://screaming-banshee.com/

It also flashes the high beam and allows you to maintain the use of the stock horn, meaning you can still honk to say hello or simply hold the button down for 1/4 second and get a noise that will at least make the dead roll over, if not wake them.

The horn itself is large and it is difficult to find a mounting position on the Bird that doesn't look ugly. I finally settled on the space between the engine and radiator which was still a tough fit but the end result looks good and the horn doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Even though it gets hot in that space, the hottest I've measured is less than 170 degrees, which is below the melting point of the plastic used in the horn. The only way to do this was to fabricate a rubber covered flat steel bracket and secure the horn in place using two stainless steel hose clamps. Wiring required tank removal for proper routing. Overall, installation was more difficult than the manufacturer video, but the end result was a very worthwhile safety upgrade.

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
45 years of riding, I've found riding defensively trumps a horn every time. Trouble with using a horn, is the honkee rarely can tell where it is coming from and 1) continues on their course (as you mentioned), 2) serves into something else, 3) brakes or stops causing problems for others. Plus there is the time spent finding the button that could be used to find a way out of the way.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ride aggressively (as opposed to timidly), defensively and use the horn when required. I don't ever rely on one method. That said, this horn gets their attention.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How about a picture of where you mounted it?
I just ordered one. Any advantage in getting the two piece unit?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

I've got 2 Stebel horns on my Bonneville and like the fact that they work when needed. I added flashing red lights that are horn-button activated to the front to deal with the driving brain-donors down here. I couldn't get with that stock "meep, meep" horn that was there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am surprised at the extremes. The stock horn and the banshee, that's like a scooter and a Hayabusa - there are also reasonable options in between. Personally I like the Stebel Magnum TM/1.

It's not too big, it' easy to install on the street triple (plug&play) and it's reasonably louder than an average car horn.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
FWIW, the few times I have had someone cut me off, I always handled the braking first and then the honking in protest. Screw looking for the horn, I gotta handle the emergency instantly, then honk and a few hand gestures. If the person is just drifting, then I'll honk, but if it is a threatening situation, I am all about the brakes or acceleration.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
FWIW, the few times I have had someone cut me off, I always handled the braking first and then the honking in protest. Screw looking for the horn, I gotta handle the emergency instantly, then honk and a few hand gestures. If the person is just drifting, then I'll honk, but if it is a threatening situation, I am all about the brakes or acceleration.
Well, to all of you expert riders, you'll allow me to opine that riding a motorcycle requires defensive (but not timid) riding, use of the proper safety equipment (including a horn) and common sense, meaning that you do what is required to handle the situation. Now, in my case, I do find that I am usually coordinated enough to hit the horn and implement avoidance maneuvers, usually at the same time. But then again, I actually practice this. Of course, if hitting the horn button interferes with avoidance maneuvers, then don't do it. Again, practice makes perfect.

For those of you who use the horn to signal friends or attract attention from young ladies who really didn't want to look at you in the first place, more power to 'ya. I'm sure that's why every state requires a warning device ... so we can honk at the ladies. As far as the hand gestures go, I guess that you can try to piss off the person who is driving a vehicle that outweighs you by a couple of thousand pounds, but that just doesn't work for me, so I don't do it. In my experience, tough guys who come up against tough guys who have better weapons usually loose.

I like to think that thus far, my skills (gained through experience and practice) have saved my ass more that once. That includes using a horn when required. But hey ... that's just me.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

This might get a clueless drivers attention.:) I hardly ever use my horn on the M/C. It's not going to help in most situations. I'll use that split second of time looking for a way out.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
I do find that I am usually coordinated enough to hit the horn and implement avoidance maneuvers, usually at the same time.
Just curious, you "usually" do these things, which suggests that you find yourself in need of avoidance measures quite often. Are you just unlucky?

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
If you need a loud horn to get you out of trouble then the delay on the Banshee is a waste of time. If you just want to make noise once you have dodged the danger that's another matter but I don't find it makes me feel any better when I do it. I have a Stebel horn on my Bonneville and I find I use it less and less as I drive more defensively. why do you think we would confuse "defensive" with "timid"? Just asking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts