Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enjoying my ST 1050, hoping to add another bike to my stable next spring, sat on a street triple last week, fell in love. I enjoy doing my own mods/repairs/servicing, which year might be the best choice for me? I am looking for a bit of a hooligan bike, and something I can ride to work everyday, and play around town. I am 6' tall if that makes a difference, but don't plan to do serious long range touring as my ST works well for that

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm 6' tall and recently picked up a 2014 Street Triple ABS and absolutely love it. Slowly getting it ready for track days next year. I just saw stock 2014 STR in white posted for sale in NY on here for $6500, which is what they book out for. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prefer the white or black colors myself, is it worth the extra cash to go with the R?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate your replies, thought I would have a bunch of people chiming in, any other opinions out there?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 2016 Street Triple R and previously had an '09 STR. I am 5'11" and find the riding position fine for day rides. But I am getting older and my knees do start to ache after awhile. Nothing severe, just due to age. I actually found the '09 to be a bit more comfortable. If you are simply riding around town I think you might be better off not going with an R. The R suspension is sport tuned and on the crappy bumpy roads around where I live a more supple suspension would work better. But on track and on twisties you won't be able to stop smiling. Plenty of good deals out there right now!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info! I would mainly be using it around town, but not far to some twisty roads, and suspension is so important. I am still leaning towards the R

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2016 Street Triple R and previously had an '09 STR. I am 5'11" and find the riding position fine for day rides. But I am getting older and my knees do start to ache after awhile. Nothing severe, just due to age. I actually found the '09 to be a bit more comfortable. If you are simply riding around town I think you might be better off not going with an R. The R suspension is sport tuned and on the crappy bumpy roads around where I live a more supple suspension would work better. But on track and on twisties you won't be able to stop smiling. Plenty of good deals out there right now!
The suspension is adjustable both front and rear. You can soften it up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2010 street triple, just been on a 830 km ride with some mates on country roads I am 6foot 3 inch and find the bike quite comfortable, I have loosened up the rear shock so that it wouldn't be so bumpy on the rough roads that we have in Australia.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve just picked up my 2012 street R, so my experience can’t hold too much value. I did do a lot of research before buying though, which could help?

I’m pretty sure triumph produced more R models than regular, and the option was less than a thousand more for the bikes that are now 5-10 years old.

ie just go for it. The user manual tells you how to adjust suspension for soft or sport.

It’ll hold its value a teeny bit better for resale, I suppose.

depending on where you live, $5k us will get you a pretty decent 2012 ish street R.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 2 street triples. A 2016 R and a 2018 RS.

The R is more comfortable, but the RS destroys it in handling and power. I will be selling the RS. I live in Alberta, but I am working in Louisiana which is why I have 2 bikes.

Bike is on the marketplace at a special winter price.

Facebook Marketplace: 2018 triumph streettriple - Cars, Trucks & Motorcycles - Blackfalds, Alberta

Jason
Times are tough here in BC as in Alberta, but am hoping by April to be able to come get your bike if it is still available!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts