Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to stir anything up but....I am the owner of a V Rod, but like the Bird. Will I be happy if I switch??
:confused:

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Did you ask this at another forum? because i answered this somewhere else recently. Anyways, i don't know if you will or not, as i'm not you. But i can give you my thoughts on the difference. The Vrod is a higher tuned engine. It's a little further towards a standard bike rather than a cruiser which is more of a low RPM torque machine. Thats the big engine difference as far as performance. The rod is going to be quicker but the Tbird will have more low RPM grunt and may take the rad thru a couple gears or so. Then it will watch the rod go by. You have to weight whether thats important to you and what you're willing to trade that for. The Tbird will outhandle the rod with ease. It's probably the best handling cruiser ever built. It's smooth and comfortable, handles like mad and has a lot of torque like i said.

You can take that info and weigh the differences and see what you come up with. But unless you ride one you'll never come close to having a good idea as to whether selling the HD and getting a Tbird is what will make you happy. To me it's easily the best bike i've ever owned or ridden. But again, i'm not you. Demo one asap. Make it a 1700....the 1600 is rather weak due to the cams in the 170-0 being much hotter.

·
Banned
530 Posts
Erm ... I dont know will you?

Totaly different bikes . If you had said "should I change my dynaglide will I be happy ?" Then the answer is easy but as your Rod is tuned completely different then I cant answer Im afraid . Daz has summed it up really.

Ride one and see.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Not to stir anything up but....I am the owner of a V Rod, but like the Bird. Will I be happy if I switch??
:confused:
As others have said you really need to ride one to get the full understanding of what all the trade off will be!

To answer your question better without the test ride we would have to ask you what you are looking for in a bike? What things you are unhappy about with your v rod? What type rider or rideing you do most.

For me I test rode a friends v rod a while back and couldnt be happier when it was over and I switched back to my 25 year old kawasaki. The bike was uncomfortable, didnt handle well and the performance was lack luster when compared to its intent and cost.
Whith the thunderbird the outcome was much different. After a long test ride I didnt want to take the bike back and knew I wanted one. It was comfortable handled extreemly well no matter what speed or type road I was on it gave perfect feedback letting me know exactly waht it was capeable of! The power is there instantly and for real world rideing its there when and where you need it anyplace between 1 and 100 mph!

So with no info really given I would have to say if you are a real rider and not just looking to fit into the crowd a few times a year the thunderbird is the way to go!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I tested both and traded a Lowrider on my Tbird. The Vrod was too low and stretched out feeling for me and the Tbird fit well and seemed to handle better. Then add the lower price point and here I am. To me the Vrod seems like a drag bike and the Tbird is a cruiser which makes each in a different class.

But like said before...try one. You will be amazed how well it handles compared to a Harley.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I like the Vod for the engine, however as of late I've getting into longer rides
What I don't like
Saddle bags are small and storage is hard to come by
Cornering
Did'nt think it was uncomfortable, but my back is bothering me
Sick of being a "Harely" guy

Plus I have ridden the T'bird and really liked it and think it looks way cool (like a Shelby Mustang if that makes sense)
I guess I was wondering if anyone else had the same story
Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well I like the Vod for the engine, however as of late I've getting into longer rides
What I don't like
Saddle bags are small and storage is hard to come by
Cornering
Did'nt think it was uncomfortable, but my back is bothering me
Sick of being a "Harely" guy

Plus I have ridden the T'bird and really liked it and think it looks way cool (like a Shelby Mustang if that makes sense)
I guess I was wondering if anyone else had the same story
Thanks
Todd
Take one for a second test ride. this time focus on the power curve threw your favorite type back road and if your happy with that you might have found your match. Its funny how sometimes we think the power advantage is what makes a bike when in actualaty we dont even ride within the power advantage on some bikes!

Its aslo funny how some of us can find one bike or seat uncomfortable and the others find the same bike more than acceptable.

You dont have to get rid of the harley to stop being a "harley guy" but its definately a step in the right direction!:D

Good luck with what ever you decide to do!

·
Banned
468 Posts
Power? I traded my 2300 cc Rocket III for the TBird and am happy as a clam. The VRod engine is superb but the handling and comfort suck, in my opinion. If all you care about is power, stay with the VRod. Otherwise, the TBird beats the shorts off of the VRod.

And I agree with everything dazco said except, I'll stay with the 1600 engine. I rode the 1700 and it is amazing. However, the few times I would use the additional power don't outweigh going from close to 50 miles per gallon into the 20 plus range. The 1600 is no slouch. If you're a boy racer and the hell with gas mileage, go with the 1700. If not the torque of the 1600 is both satisfying and surprising to the typical rider. Ride them with that in mind. Most Triumph dealers allow demo rides.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Power? I traded my 2300 cc Rocket III for the TBird and am happy as a clam. The VRod engine is superb but the handling and comfort suck, in my opinion. If all you care about is power, stay with the VRod. Otherwise, the TBird beats the shorts off of the VRod.

And I agree with everything dazco said except, I'll stay with the 1600 engine. I rode the 1700 and it is amazing. However, the few times I would use the additional power don't outweigh going from close to 50 miles per gallon into the 20 plus range. The 1600 is no slouch. If you're a boy racer and the hell with gas mileage, go with the 1700. If not the torque of the 1600 is both satisfying and surprising to the typical rider. Ride them with that in mind. Most Triumph dealers allow demo rides.
Thats exactly what I,m saying about many folks never really use the so called power advantage!

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Where did you get your numbers about the change in the gas mileage? I'm quite surprised if it makes that much of a difference.

However, the few times I would use the additional power don't outweigh going from close to 50 miles per gallon into the 20 plus range. The 1600 is no slouch. If you're a boy racer and the hell with gas mileage, go with the 1700.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I rode the 1700 and it is amazing. However, the few times I would use the additional power don't outweigh going from close to 50 miles per gallon into the 20 plus range

Is this true?? I would be looking for additional range, right now having to stop every 90 miles gets to be a drag

·
Banned
9,598 Posts

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off base !!! The difference is about 2-4 MPG, (more like 2 because i ride harder now and if i rode that way as the 1600 i may have got the same or maybe a couple better) and the 1700 is capable of as much MPG as the 1600 if you ride it the same. In fact, never got more than 46 on my 1600, but i recently got 50 MPG with mine and it is now a 1700 !(and has been since December) Now granter, that was riding extremely easy while riding with a buddy on his HD which he rides like a grandma. But as you can see you're way way off with that statement.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have spent many miles on V-Rods, Night Rods, and Muscles. I traded my Super Glide in on my Thunderbird. The V-Rod has the edge on all-out full throttle power. That's it. The Thunderbird is built better, rides better, handles better, and stops better than any Harley, period.

It's just a better bike. Riding my brother's Dyna now, it feels like a old, slow bike with bad brakes. He rode the Thunderbird. His Dyna is now for sale.

·
Banned
468 Posts
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off base !!! The difference is about 2-4 MPG, (more like 2 because i ride harder now and if i rode that way as the 1600 i may have got the same or maybe a couple better) and the 1700 is capable of as much MPG as the 1600 if you ride it the same. In fact, never got more than 46 on my 1600, but i recently got 50 MPG with mine and it is now a 1700 !(and has been since December) Now granter, that was riding extremely easy while riding with a buddy on his HD which he rides like a grandma. But as you can see you're way way off with that statement.
Glad to hear that, and maybe it's just the difference in the way the two bikes are ridden but every post I have read from 1700 owners and from talking to my dealer they all talk about numbers less than 30 mpg for the 1700 motor? It's simply what I have heard from every source I have seen or spoken to. I guess you kids with your hot rods just can't keep from twisting the throttle. I know I couldn't.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Not one post you'll see here or at the other tbird forum will say 30 MPG. I have literally heard dozens and dozens of MPG quoted since the tbird debuted in '09 and not one 1600 or 1700 has ever quoted that low. I have no idea where you saw these, but please link me to even one of those posts because i have yet to see that even once, and i've been reading RAT and the other Tbird forum since day one. In fact, most 1700 owner quote over 40 ! I once got 31 when my bike was horribly tuned but since i rectified that my minimum is 35, and thats hauling a$$ around town stop and go. And thats also the lowest i've seen anyone else quote and only one other. Riding what would be considered normally (which i rarely do) i get 40-42 .

·
Banned
468 Posts
Careful how you phrase your disagreement, please.

Not one post you'll see here or at the other tbird forum will say 30 MPG. I have literally heard dozens and dozens of MPG quoted since the tbird debuted in '09 and not one 1600 or 1700 has ever quoted that low. I have no idea where you saw these, but please link me to even one of those posts because i have yet to see that even once, and i've been reading RAT and the other Tbird forum since day one. In fact, most 1700 owner quote over 40 ! I once got 31 when my bike was horribly tuned but since i rectified that my minimum is 35, and thats hauling a$$ around town stop and go. And thats also the lowest i've seen anyone else quote and only one other. Riding what would be considered normally (which i rarely do) i get 40-42 .
OK, here's just one post from the Triumph 1600 forum. It's in the thread called "Good game, good game" and posted by Druid.

"Posted : Oct 04 2011 - 18:20 Post title : Re: good game good game (Re: mat1600)

Mine is a 1700 just for the record . I found the fuel consuption was at its best at 2800 revs.

Thankfully the bike is back to normal now and Im getting 160 odd miles to the tank now on average ."

The service manager at my dealer has said the same thing.

You figure out 160 miles per tank. Using ALL the fuel (5.5 gallons), which is unlikely, that comes out to 29 mpg. There are other posts but I'm not going to chase around looking for them to satisfy someone that came very close to calling me a liar for reporting what I heard, and qualifying it as such. Sorry you took my post as a personal affront. Maybe I should send them to you in a PM to approve before I hit SUBMIT in the future.

What the hell, maybe someone needs a nap.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I'm pretty sure he's talking imperial gallons, as druid is in england. that would be more like 35 MPG US gallons. By the way, it's not me thats getting hot here. I'm just telling you that i've never seen this yet and you're sounding like everyone and his mother with a 1700 is getting 30. If it sounds to you like that, sorry, but it's not like that. Chill...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I'm getting about 45-46mpg with my brand new 1600 and it isn't broken in yet. My first 100 miles used 2.2 gallons. :confused:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts