Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often frequent the Honda of Japan website, and stumble through the Japanese text that I do not understand in order to glimpse their Japanese line, which I think is fascinating. CLICK HERE for a good example. Check out the Honda Cb400 Super Sport. I wish these were offered in the US, and love everything about the bike.

Until recently I owned a '71 Cl350. That size bike is almost perfect for inner city riding, the small size and light weight make it easy and fun to roll around corners and maneuver through traffic. Don't get me wrong, I love my Bonneville T100, but the smaller and lighter 350 was really fun to drive. I know there is no market for it here in the US, but I would love to own a 400-500cc Bonneville. I also wish that we could order any of the Honda line. I know that this is not a Honda forum, but thought some of you may find the bike both interesting and nostalgic.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Neat little bike. I know it appears to have two headers but is it possible this is a single? I just wondered since it only has a single exhaust.
Would be a great around town bike.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
The CB400F was a great bike. Stock the produced about 104 mph and handled wonderfully. It was a well thought out package. They only drawback was the cam chain adjuster. They never quite got it right. Other than that, it was a outstanding bike especially for AFM 410 Production racing. I saw a few that were raced in some unlimited classes that produced a bit over 100hp and weighed in at 320lbs. Super quick bikes and kept up with KZ900's that were raced at the time.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow. stunning. talk about fun to drive!

and 1962 gypsy, the CB400ss is indeed a twin, it has a 2 in 1 exhaust which you can see more easily in this special edition model.

It is a crime that we cannot order the Honda Japan line. There are so many models to choose from. I cant imagine getting to visit that country and browse through all of the motorcycle shops, both new and used.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow! what a cool looking bike. I've got a '69 CB 350. It's so much fun to zip around town on.

It's a shame that there is not a larger US market for small bore commuter bikes. We're pretty much limited to Japanese 250 twins. There really should be some production 350s and 400s in our showrooms. Might get more people onto bikes. Unfortunately, "Bigger is Better" seems to be the prevailing attitude in this country.

I fully expected (and hoped) to see some small 2009 bikes in the US after the reaming we took at the gas pumps this summer. All our local Honda dealers were sold out of the Rebels and Nighthawks. I thought that the Manufacturers would take the hint and ship over some of those elusive CB 400s!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny you mentioned that.....I have a friend in Austin who is new to bikes, and wanted a Nighhawk 250 but the dealership in his area told him there would be a long wait for some reason (I guess demand).

He ended up finding one used, but yes....I agree with you. I thought they would open up their line a little more as well.

I tried and tried to convince him to get a Street Triple, but he was intimidated by it, and the price of a used Honda 250 only sealed the deal.

I'm still working on him though! Next time I visit I made him promise that we would go to the dealership and test drive one. That dealership is where I bought my T100 and the people are GREAT.

Is that a CB350 K0 you have? Such a nice looking machine! I love the blue/white schemed ones, as well as the CL's from the same year.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Seeing Honda produce this 400 in that style proves what design works and what they are confident will sell. What a sweet retro! --Right out of 1975. The Rebel 250's a tad small for many starters. Bring in the 400 too!
It's just not right that so many beginners are forced to choose between a 750 and a 250 just because the big ones offer more profit for the company. I guess when we are all poorer and less able to afford the 750's and bigger we'll get the smaller ones in the showrooms.

·
Registered
306 Posts
When did 750cc's get to be mid sized anyway?

I rode a 1974 CB450 back in the late 70's and at that time a 750 was a big bike. There were KZ 400s everywhere. I remember when Kawasaki brought out the KZ(?)1300 touring bike around 1980 and it was a monster for the time. I came back to riding this year and find out that a 750 is now a small middle weight? According to my HD friends anything under 1200 is a lady's bike? I ride an 06 Bonnie and think that it is plenty of bike to haul my large self around and I weigh as much as a couple in most cases. I would love to see the 400 - 500 size bikes come back. Even though I don't think that my 790 feels heavy and it handles great, a 400 Bonnie would be great fun to toss around and still have enough juice to do some slab if you wanted.

Pops

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
According to my HD friends anything under 1200 is a lady's bike?
They are obviously richardcraniums. I'll race them from Santa Fe to Taos by the high road, and we'll see if any of their [email protected]$$ cruisers can keep up with my 955.

ARC, that's a sweet bike. I'd ride that over any 100 cubic inch chrome monstrosity any day of the week. Great job.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'll race them from Santa Fe to Taos by the high road, and we'll see if any of their [email protected]$$ cruisers can keep up with my 955.
I agree. I rode a few times the first month after I got my bike with my neighbor on his Electraglide and I don't think that he could have kept up with me on my mostly stock Bonnie and I had not been on a bike for 30 years. Personally I figure anything you are not going to use is useless to have. If you have a use for it then it is great but at this point in my life I am not going cross country with 200lbs of gear strapped on or pulling a trailer behind me. I am not even riding 2 up so why do I want to ride something so big. Plus if I did need those capabilities I would probably get a Rocket! Very few of the people that have these monster bikes do anything more than cruise around town. I wonder what they would ride if peer pressure were not a factor? I have yet to have anyone say anything negative about the Bonnie however. It is more like their standards don't apply to it. That is the one thing that got right! :cool:

Pops

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Old Honda's are great, just got my 1982 CB250N superdream taxed and tested again for the winter slog to work, keeping the Triumph for the fine weekend blasts, poor old Honda just keeps taking all that the winter can throw at it and carries on.

·
Registered
306 Posts
1982 Cb250n

Good looking bike doodledog. It looks like the later model Nighthawks that were sold in the U.S. I don't remember this one in the states but I was not into bikes much during that time so they could have sold them here as well. I googled it and it seemed that all the post were from the UK or Australia. If our fuel prices had stayed where they were for much longer ($4.00+ USD) I am sure the market for smaller c.c. bikes would have improved greatly in the U.S. I started seeing the small c.c. scooters running around everywhere which is unusual where I live. Our fuel prices have dropped back to around $1.60 USD now so everyone will forget about fuel economy again for awhile. I just checked out the Honda USA site and they have 2 bikes at 234c.c. and then the next up is a 750c.c. aside from the CBR600 crotch rocket and the DN-01which they describe as a 680c.c. crossover bike. It has a CVT automatic transmission and is a strange looking bike. It looks something like a sport touring scooter bike. I guess that is the crossover part.:cool:

Pops

·
Registered
145 Posts
Honda CB

Last year at this time I had a 1976 Honda CB 550F (Super Sport with the 4 into 1 exhaust). Great bike really. Put out close to 50hp, pretty great for a 550 engine. Alas, it kept having mysterious electrical problems so I traded it in for my Bonnie. I'm happy with the Bonnie of course, but there was something about that old Super Sport that I do miss.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts