Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I don't think the NC700X works as a motorbike. Tho', the main reason I say that is because it is a common 'platform' design & also exists as a scooter.

The point being, this is really a 'performance' commuter bike. Zippy enough to handle a distance commute with some highway/motorway running & still get really good fuel economy & likely low overall running costs. Probably engaging enough for an experienced rider to commute with, saving their fun bike(s), well, for fun.

So, for a commuter bike why buy a version (the bike) that has no weather protection when a virtually identical scooter, that has all that, is available. No point at all, as far as I can see.

There's a video of it here:

Notice the handling movement on what look like good roads. The suspension is worth every cent you pay for - ie not much. 47bhp can be fun, but not with that chassis imo.

A rider who wants (or can afford) only one bike & wants it to be fun as well as commute, will surely go for one of the much better middleweight options around. Those options won't have 70+ mpg (imp) of the NC700X, but should get 55 to 60 mpg & have 15hp more to play with & much better handling, especially on less than perfect roads.

So, as a scooter (called 'Integra' I believe) the high mpg, torquey motor looks good, especially as a commuter in high priced fuel Europe. But as a bike, no. Tho' Honda deserve some credit for developing something offering higher mpg.http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/honda-nc700x-0

Kev Ash wrote a review here too:

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/honda-nc700x-0

·
Registered
733 Posts
Saw the 700X at the NY bike show yesterday, and I think Honda has a potential winner, especially at the $7000 price point. Good looking and versatile. Not for me or many here on RATnet, but it makes great sense as a commuter, introductory, light tourer, or scale down motorbike for those done struggling with 800 pound parade floats. Makes much more sense than a low end cruiser for so many, and maybe it will stoke sales for the traditional, standard all- rounder. Hope so.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts