Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. One of the main things on the Thruxton that had been bothering me was the stock gauge pods. They seemed too large and textured plastic stood out as cheap against the better looking metal bits. I thought about getting the chrome gauge pods that can be found on some websites but again, I didn't care for the stock shape of the pods, don't care much for chrome, and didn't want to pay $100 to change the pods. I really like the look of the old Bonnie's gauges and my original intent was to make some pods that would be closer to that size. After measuring it didn't seem possible to significantly decrease the size of the gauge pods from stock due to all the wires and such on the gauges. What is pictured below is my solution:

I am extremely happy with the way it turned out. The metal is a brushed stainless steel and has a black plastic insert. The new pods fit very nicely. I cut the metal using a saber saw (I think that's what it's called). The hardest part was doing the cutting. Was difficult to keep the gauge pods still when cutting and not crushing them in the vise. The cuts aren't completely perfect but they can't be seen anyway. Basically just followed the cut outs on the stock gauge pods and kept test fitting, filing, drilling, etc.. untill I got it right. The new pods aren't as deep as the stock ones and don't let the gauges be completely tightened down but should be adequate, only like 1mm of play. The new pods will also be more areodynamic than the stock pods giving the bike the ability to hit 170mph :clown:

If you're interested in getting some different gauge pods that look great, are inexpensive, and have a different shape than stock, I highly recommend doing this. If you're curious as to what I used, I purchased two thermos from Walmart, $14.50 a piece, and used the top cup part as the gauge pods. So now, I have new gauge pods and two thermoses :wink: Total cost of the project was $35 after purchasing some saw blades.

If anyone is interested in having me make them some, send me a pm or email me: [email protected] If there is enough interest, I may try to contact the company that makes the thermoses to see if I can order just the top cup/cover part to lower the costs.

Shane

·
Registered
799 Posts
Those are bitchin!!!

What I have noticed their are very few of us whom are willing to take a chance at something new and that has never been done before. With this I would like to comment that being part of a Cafe bike world you should rarely see two alike, and if you do then somethings got to go.
I hope that everyone can learn a bit form this thread and better understand to be different is to be different not just different from the Harley or Rice Rocket down the street.

Good Job - luv them.

Ter-

·
Registered
873 Posts
Very clean, very original, and I want to copy them, do you have a model number for the Thermos. What about using some kind of black ring between them & the mounting plate so you can snug them dow abit more ?

Excellent idea.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comments/replies.

Motley... :hammer: :-D

CYNCRZR: Yes, some kind of ring between the new pods and the gauge mount piece and or between the gauge and the gauge mount would snug it up. It wouldn't have to be anything very thick though. When I'm home next (I'm up at school, will be home over the weekend) I'll post the part numbers and brand of the thermos. In the meantime I'd say check your local Wal-mart or similar store and try and find something that looks the same or is similar. I went to the store and brought my measurements and stock gauge pod with for reference. As much as I hate giving Wal-mart my money, they had what I needed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
OldSkoolFool

They look great! If I may, what about some black car door edging or if that wouldn't fit over the edge slit some small rubber hose and slip & glue it around the top edge to take up the difference you need?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for the positive comments. I was very excited to get this little project completed. All the cutting, fitting, etc... at a carefull pace took about 3hrs I think.

Thruxtonone: Those are some nice looking gauge pods as well :wink:

4Triumph: If we're both thinking about the same car door edging, it would probably be too thick, doesn't need to be that wide I don't think. But, the rubber hose may be a good solution, it'd have to be some very small diameter hose, 2mm at most. I'm thinking that the easiest thing may to be to wedge something like that at the bottom of the gauge, front side of the motorcycle, since that wouldn't be seen and could keep things tight. I haven't had a chance to ride the bike yet to see if the gauges are too loose and get too much vibration or something but like I said, the looseness (I think I made that word up) is very minimal and if I remember correctly my gauges weren't very tight w/ the stock pods anyway.

[ This message was edited by: OldSkoolFool on 2007-01-15 21:23 ]

·
Registered
68 Posts
On 2007-01-15 19:14, sweatmachine wrote:
On 2007-01-15 19:00, thruxtonone wrote:
Similar idea, but made out of stainless canisters. I do like your rounded ones better.-T1
T-1, what turn signals are those?

Nice lookin, very sano!
Also, where did you get those headlight brackets?

·
Registered
891 Posts
The turn signals are Rizoma. They look nice but are not bright enough. I recently hard wired some 1157 bulbs in the rears. The bulb becomes the lens. I made the headlight brackets out of 3/16 Al. For all I just got an add from harbor freight showing a stainless thermos for 4.99 that has a top that looks like it would work for the pod mod.-T1

·
Registered
57 Posts
They kidna look like boobies.

I dig them but I already love my bike...if I put these things on I may actually start sleeping with my bike! My wife is already raising an eyebrow when I talk ever so softly to Thruxina...

Seriously though. I like em and am gonna start looking for a change.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
On 2007-01-15 23:55, thruxtonone wrote:
The turn signals are Rizoma. They look nice but are not bright enough. I recently hard wired some 1157 bulbs in the rears. The bulb becomes the lens.
Hey T-1, I have the same signals and have been having a heck of a time getting a new lens to replace the one I lost. I'd like to see a pic of your rear replacement bulb if you have one handy. And what do you mean by "hard-wired"?

1 - 20 of 214 Posts