Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subtitled: "Hurray for global warming!"

Really, this is phenomenal. Tomorrow is going to get up to around 60, its been great for over 2 1/2 weeks and no real cool down expected until about Christmas _ when Sue and I head for Myrtle Beach for a week. I've ridden about every day lately and Sue has gotten to ride her new toy the last two weekends and it looks like she'll get to ride again this coming Sat and Sun afternoon! Will wonders never cease?

Its fun getting calls from my riding buddies who have already done the FULL MONTE hibernation routine for the duration on their rides and can't decide whether to take them out of mothballs or not. I just smile and tell them that it is their decision and remind them that, even without a spell like this there are at least two or three days EVERY month around here that you can ride. DUH!!

Secretly I feel just a little "I told you so," but I don't, being a preacher and all.

How about you other guys and gals east of the mighty Miss? Are you ridin' or are you hidin'?

Monte :-D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Man I am jealous as heck. I haven't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

Rain, rain,rain ......I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! awWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rick.......................

·
Registered
913 Posts
ridin' ridin' ridin' keep those bonnies ridin'....

·
Registered
711 Posts
30 degree jump from last weeks high temps. Early Christmas gift from Mother Nature and Ol Man Winter. Have to break out the shorts and flip flops for riding in this weather!

Ride safe!
BobW

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Lookin' at 58 degrees and partly cloudy today in NE Ohio. I'm takin' the bus! The big red bus. I bought the ST1300 nearly two weeks ago, and to date it has a grand total of 35 miles on the odometer. That changes today. Bonnie gets a break unless I get bored on this full-faired bagger and come home to swap. I think it'll be ok (hoping). Sorta like taking the Buick Roadmaster and leaving the Mini Cooper in the garage .... but...... she's now one of the family and cannot be neglected.

I've adopted the Full-Monte approach, and purchased the Giant Economy Size Stabil at NAPA the other day. I'm gonna carry it with me on every ride, and simply add it when I fill up a few blocks from home. Thanks, Monte. I now know that Stabil doesn't mean the end of the season!

Have a good one, Buckeyes ..... and the rest of you guys and gals with a bit of sunshine and 40+ temps. This is indeed a rare treat!

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I'm ridin'. With the exception of last week's brief snowfall, the weather here has been great. It is fun to ride past the fields that still have patches of snow in them. I'm usually the only bike out there.

When I lived in Ohio back in the day, and now that I have returned, I have always continued to ride all winter. The snowstorms come in, but they go away and, like you say Monte, there are always at least a few good days every month all winter long. When it snows, I ride the snowplow. When it's clear, I ride my bike. It keeps the gas moving through both of them and last year I hardly even used the battery tender.

To quote the local weather guru, Dick Goddard: "In many Januaries a welcome small reward comes in the form of the legendary January thaw, usually about the third week." When I was in college up in Cleveland, that thaw conveniently, and reliably, took place during the break between semesters. I usually spent most of the break in the saddle of my Norton (if I wasn't fixing it).

·
Registered
194 Posts
54 and sunny in central New Jersey right now. Rode the V-strom to work Monday and Tuesday. There was dense fog and sopping wet this morning at 6:30am - fog's not my favorite thing. Will ride to work again tomorrow if it's not too foggy. The V-strom's been getting the nod for most of my commuting, I have a 14-mile stretch of interstate on my commute, and it does interstate so much better than the Bonnie.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rode to work this morning, mid 40's and beautiful sunrise....

Took a ride to a burger stand on the North Coast (Great Lake Ontario for the rest of you) for lunch, mid 50's!!

Looking to take the long way home... :)

Had a "salt the roads" event last week, but one day of good showers since cleaned it up.

Still gets dark too early though....but Saturday!!!! :razz:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Monte,

I'm not East of the Mississippi river, but I'm going to respond anyway. In the high 60's and low70's here all week...may get a thousand miles this week...took off one day to go to the rifle range and do some paper punchin...sure feel for those that have to go to work in this Wx...sometimes it pays to be older than dirt. :-D

I did do the Monte hibernation routine for my three lawn tractors--no chance of needing them before the grass grows a LOT. :-D

Just got an email from our rat-pack--ride scheduled for this Sunday afternoon. :-D

Larry

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to see others are taking advantage of the weather. I snuck out of the office two hours earlier than usual and got in 110 miles. Temp in high 50s. Bonnie turned over 6K so I came home, cleaned and oiled the chain, removed the drain plug and drained the oil.

Put a 3/8 socket wrench to the K&N filter, turned counterclockwise, nothing. Again. Nothing. Took a rubber hammer and tapped. Nothing. Harder. Nothing. Got down on the other side of the bike, grabbed the handle with both hands and with feet on front tire pulled -- so hard that the bike pivoted on the center stand. Nothing! (Well, something. The pot metal nut welded to the top of the filter was so soft it stripped in the socket!)

Borrowed a band wrench from a friend. Hard to get on, not much room up there, but finally got a tentative hold on enough of the fIlter to grip it. Pushed, pulled, tapped with hammer. Nothing! Going mad.

Guess I'll call Owen Lehman's Cycle Shop in the morning and if he can take a look at it I'll put three quarts of dino oil in it and ride it up to him and let him try his luck.

Man am I FRUSTRATED!

Going to post the problem on the Tech forum and see if anybody has any ideas. Wonder how often I will have to change the oil if I can never change the filter?

Monte :hammer:

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Monte, I don't have a filter wrench, so what I do to remove my filter is use a home-made tool.

I have about a foot long piece of either 1/4'' or 5/8'' round rod that I sharpened at one end.

Between the exhaust and the frame, I slide the rod up against the filter, and get a rubber mallet and hammer it into the filter. (near the footpeg)

Once it's through the filter (I try to penetrate both sides, about as centered as I can), I loosen the filter.

Usually after a 1/4 turn or 2 I can hand loosen it.

If you can't get something like this, let me know and I'll make one for you to use and mail it to you, on me!

good luck.

Basically it's a foot long sharpened piece of round steel that I jab into the filter.

let me know!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the offer, Sweat. If it comes to that I can make the steel rod you discribe.

My problem is that I am 25 miles from the nearest shop (Owen's) that I trust and 20 miles from two that I don't. I don't want to tear up the filter in my garage and still not be able to get it off - then I am in real trouble.

The way it is now I can still ride it. I figure I'll put in 3 quarts of inexpensive dino oil and get it to Owen and am sure he can get it off. He's been doing this stuff for a living for 40 years. Then I'll just have him put in a new filter and full syn while he's got it apart and on the lift anyway. I will just try to be a little more careful next time and get a good filter wrench like the one the fellow had a link to from Sears.

I'm finally over most of my initial irritation and frustration - mostly at ME. Probably shouldn't have inflicted it on the group. Funny how its the little things that get under the skin, isn't it?

That was very generous of you to offer and I will remember your kindness.

Monte :cool:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Monte, Murphy's Law strikes again! It seems as of late there have been too many of his Gremlin helpers in my garage. Ya just don't want to go blindly through life relying on taking 5 minutes for a 5 minute job.

Wait, maybe it should be Dazco's Law for our Triumphs (sorry Daz)!

Good Luck with her and enjoy!
BobW :lollol:

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the support with the oil filter. Rode up to Owen's and he got it off with a huge ViceGrip, about 18" long. Guess that's another way. Finished up the oil change, had him balance the carbs - they were off only a tiny bit - and was on my way.

Nice again today but very windy. Next two days are supposed to be 55 and 63 so there is more riding ahead. We have to take advantage of these great days. What a gift!

Monte :cool:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Certainly am glad you guys up north are getting some decent riding weather this late. My early morning commute down here has been as low as 34 and as warm as 55 with afternoon highs in the 60's and low 70's. . It is a welcome break from the heat and humidity of summer. January and February will be a bit dicey, but is still very rideable.

Monte, hope the oil filter event turns into a story that you can later grin about. Murphy is an equal opportunity trouble maker.

Dennis

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.