Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Has there been an update, or did I miss it?
Hi OND,

Sorry, I just returned from a business trip but meant to post before leaving.

I have replaced the parts and took pictures of the process. It took about two hours from start to finish; that includes draining the coolant, flushing the system, removing and cleaning the expansion tank, removing and replacing the thermostat, removing and replacing the water pump. I took many pictures of the process and I will post them as well (can't upload pictures from work).

Anyway, there is a weep hole on the water pump and that is where the coolant was leaking. The cooling system has been running very stable since replacing the parts and the Sprint feels like she is running smoother. Since there are many pictures, I will create a PDF document that shows the parts/process and upload the link later tonight.

Falcon

·
Registered
445 Posts
One nice thing on the 955/1050 gen motors the water pump is cak to replace. I wonder if you were to pop it open the seals/seal? are replacable?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't see any mention of whether the pump can be re-built. I have to replace mine also. Seal wore out last weekend and now I'm waiting about 8 days for a new one, but I was wondering if the old one can be somehow taken apart and new seals put in.
Has anyone tried this? Or is it basically a throw away part?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well as luck would have it, it seems that while getting the bike all setup for the new riding season, ...yep, you guessed it! Sprung a leak. So I broke out the tools, took off the chin spoiler and low and behold, it's all wet on the lower left. Looked for a place that was leaking, and the only place that I could find was on the bottom of the hose leading to the water pump from above (as in there's coolant on top of the water pump where the cable comes in). I don't know if this is where you'd to expect to see the leak to be, but I'll have to look again in the morning.

Can anybody tell me if this is what to expect? Or does this sound more like just a bad hose?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bump of a very old thread by a newb to the forum. Just yesterday, I was out for a spin. Along the way, I stopped for a crossroad and heard an unusual noise, which quit as soon as I was moving again, and headed home (about 20 miles.) Had a good look at things, nothing obvious. This morning, I was checking fluids, and LO!! the head tank showed no level. Loosened the plastic, stuck a funnel in the head tank (what a PIA) and poured some 50/50 in. Straight to the floor. Pulled off the fairing parts, and dumped in some water. Also straight to the floor thru a small tube looking thing on the front drive side of the pump. A quick consult with the shop manual tells me that changing the pump is a minor task, but there is no cutaway of the pump proper that would tell me if the tube looking thing is the weep hole or something else.

If it made sense, I would charge off to the dealer and pick the tech's brains before tearing things apart, but that's 120 miles each way. Need some hints and clues, I do, and please, before I order up something I don't need.

04 ST (955i) with 14000 on her clock. Fingers crossed that the engine is OK, but the ride home was normally perky.

·
Premium Member
24,302 Posts
Welcome aboard

Hi and welcome to the forum ghrit :)

You have a great bike, I just traded my own "04 Sprint ST on a 2011 GT a few weeks ago, I loved my '04, they are a great machine and the best of the 955's IMHO.

I never had any trouble like that with mine and I am sorry I am not knowledgeable enough to answer your question.

However we have quite a few clever people here whom i am sure will chime in.

cheers and enjoy the forums here at TRat.net :)

DaveM:AustralianFlag

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum ghrit :)

You have a great bike, I just traded my own "04 Sprint ST on a 2011 GT a few weeks ago, I loved my '04, they are a great machine and the best of the 955's IMHO.

I never had any trouble like that with mine and I am sorry I am not knowledgeable enough to answer your question.

However we have quite a few clever people here whom i am sure will chime in.

cheers and enjoy the forums here at TRat.net :)

DaveM:AustralianFlag
Thanks for the welcome, Dave. I have a couple things to get done early this week, but will probably pull the pump mid week and have a squint. It is easy to get at once all the plastic is out of the way. (That in itself is part of the design I'd like to skin someone for.)

·
Premium Member
24,302 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, Dave. I have a couple things to get done early this week, but will probably pull the pump mid week and have a squint. It is easy to get at once all the plastic is out of the way. (That in itself is part of the design I'd like to skin someone for.)
Your welcome be sure to let us know how you get on once you pull the pump off.

Cheers
DaveM:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update:
There was lots of coolant left in the system. At least I had the foresight to put a pan under. I'm much relieved to see that, was getting concerned that there could have been some overheating damage going on even tho' the idiot light didn't come on.

BUT. The manual said the coolant was supposed to be blue, this was red. Now, either the shop that did the last service replaced the blue with something else, or didn't replace it as asked. Offhand, I can't find anything pointing to steels or iron in the coolant passages to contribute rust, but could be way off there. (Seems to be all aluminum, plastic or rubber.)

Now, before I get totally off track and bugger something up with shade tree mechanic skills, I need to know something about the area behind the pump. The pump has a shaft seal, of course, but I don't know if there is a seal on the oil pump end that would isolate the coolant from the oil side if/when the pump seal croaks. I have loosened the fixing bolts (only 2!! the third seems to only hold the pump cover in place) on the pump, but haven't pried it out yet for fear of damaging something. The shop manual does not have a cut thru the shaft arrangement that would clue me in. Help a dummy, please, the shop manual says to "withdraw" the pump, but has no caveats.

Taking pix as I go --

Grumble. All this in EXCELLENT riding weather, best so far this year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update:
There was lots of coolant left in the system. At least I had the foresight to put a pan under. I'm much relieved to see that, was getting concerned that there could have been some overheating damage going on even tho' the idiot light didn't come on.

BUT. The manual said the coolant was supposed to be blue, this was red. Now, either the shop that did the last service replaced the blue with something else, or didn't replace it as asked. Offhand, I can't find anything pointing to steels or iron in the coolant passages to contribute rust, but could be way off there. (Seems to be all aluminum, plastic or rubber.)

Now, before I get totally off track and bugger something up with shade tree mechanic skills, I need to know something about the area behind the pump. The pump has a shaft seal, of course, but I don't know if there is a seal on the oil pump end that would isolate the coolant from the oil side if/when the pump seal croaks. I have loosened the fixing bolts (only 2!! the third seems to only hold the pump cover in place) on the pump, but haven't pried it out yet for fear of damaging something. The shop manual does not have a cut thru the shaft arrangement that would clue me in. Help a dummy, please, the shop manual says to "withdraw" the pump, but has no caveats.

Taking pix as I go --

Grumble. All this in EXCELLENT riding weather, best so far this year.
Update: Spoke with a service guy, it looks like the diagnosis is correct, failed pump seal. He thinks (and I cannot refute) that the outfit that was supposed to replace the coolant during a service call did so, with something reddish other than the specified "blue" Mobile stuff, and it may have reacted badly with the pump seals over time. There is, as I suspected, nothing in the engine that could rust and show a red color in the coolant. There could be a message in not using the "approved" stuff, dunno.

By the way, the pic posted above is indeed the weep hole between the oil end and coolant end of the pump, so I'll not bother with posting a similar pic. Did it's job and kept the coolant out of the oil and vice versa.

The search is now on for a used pump in the hope of avoiding the 180 frns for a new one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update, continued. Bought the pump, brought it home and installed. One of the pitfalls I imagined did not happen, and the pump nearly jumped out of the box and crawled in all by itself, the process was that easy. Thinking a flush would be good, I filled the system with straight well water, fired her up and stirred the coolant while heating the engine to normal operating temps, and drained it out. Hm. Red, again, needs more flushing. Now, I ain't particularly slow, so flushed again. And again. And again. In fact, I went thru this at least a dozen times without reduction of redness.

Being of sound (if shaky) mind, it dawned on me that it was time to call the shop again, so I did. A bit of a surprise awaited, the service guy and his minions never heard of such a thing, and I should bring her to them for a looksee. First week of August is the first opening in the work load schedule.

Thinking all this thru, if no one on this forum has a good idea, I think the next step is try a distilled water flush. If that works, well good, it's the water in the well. (Possible, but highly doubtful, since there's no red in the kitchen sink or bathroom, either the hot or cold sides.) If not effective, then just say screw it, put in the anti-freeze and ride.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
The pump has a shaft seal, of course, but I don't know if there is a seal on the oil pump end that would isolate the coolant from the oil side if/when the pump seal croaks.
I was reading about this only last night (yes, I am sad and have no life). The pump has two seals, one on the water side and one on the oil side, and the weep hole is in between, serving to warn of both water and oil seal failure. Sounds like a good design.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was reading about this only last night (yes, I am sad and have no life). The pump has two seals, one on the water side and one on the oil side, and the weep hole is in between, serving to warn of both water and oil seal failure. Sounds like a good design.
Yes, it does, and isn't a bad design other than it's a disposable part. It isn't rebuildable; if anything goes awry, replacing the whole thing is the only option. There are used units available for something over half the price of a new one, but takes a few phone calls. I got the new one, 140 frns plus tax and 120 miles worth of gas for the pickup.

Looks like we are on the same ride. Mine's an 04.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Yes, it does, and isn't a bad design other than it's a disposable part. It isn't rebuildable; if anything goes awry, replacing the whole thing is the only option. There are used units available for something over half the price of a new one, but takes a few phone calls. I got the new one, 140 frns plus tax and 120 miles worth of gas for the pickup.

Looks like we are on the same ride. Mine's an 04.
Shouldn't say this, but I don't mind the water pump being non-rebuildable. Every time I have had water pump failure on a car (never on a bike, funnily enough), I have tried to repair, but always ended up getting a new unit and hang the cost. It's one of those things that just need to work for peace of mind.

I wonder if all riders have their own bugbear. Mine is cooling systems. I've had a few cars that have given a lot of trouble in this area in the past (carrying a gallon drum of water on every outing, kind of thing) and I am very aware of overheating and water loss, to the extent that I stick with air-cooled engines wherever possible. Having said that, the w/c bikes I have had haven't given me a single problem in that area. But I still check the water level daily :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wrapping up, then. New pump went in like it was going home. Lots of flushing reduced the reddish contaminant to something reasonable in my eye, so put in new coolant and off we went testing. All tests passed, back in service.

Now to find some of those body work screws that have managed to find new homes. The "local" dealer (60 miles) doesn't stock them for some reason.

My least fave bugaboo is electrical stuff, especially now that it's all computer operated. Last go round was a sick battery that didn't manifest itself until I was 15 miles from home. A story for another time ---

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Thanks to previous posters

I'm pulling up this old thread because the same thing happened to me recently. Remembering discussions on this forum really saved me some time. Maybe you'll read this and, if you have the same issue in the future, have an instant recall.

A couple of weeks ago I changed coolant in my '06 Sprint. When I was done I left it running for a couple of minutes to expel any air from the system. Once the engine was up to temp I noticed an occasional drip from the bottom of the water pump. I checked the hoses were tight and looked for a possible source. I remembered discussions on this forum about these symptoms. I think maybe Kit posted about it - thanks. In Kit's case I think it was a gasket but my searching turned up this thread with the answer. After reading through I knew where to look. Found the weep hole in the water pump and, sure enough, traces of coolant. The dripping was just one drop every 5 or 10 seconds while the bike was running. Not a major issue but it would only get worse.

The posted info told me that a leak from that weep hole = failing seal = new water pump. OK, clear enough, no need to mess around so I ordered a new pump. Very easy to fit. With the new pump fitted I replaced coolant (again) and checked everything out. I must be lucky because I never have to do all that "burping" nonsense to get air out of the system. Just left it running until the fan kicked in - all good no leaks and running fine.

Some pics of the water pump showing the weep hole as the source of the leak.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts