Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Looks like I have a hole in the water pump. I was getting ready to change the oil when I noticed a little coolant on the bottom of the fairing. I was letting her run for a few minutes to warm the oil before draining. When I looked under the bike to get the drain plug I noticed the fluid on the lower panel, left side. I pulled the panel off to see if I could find the source and then started her up again. When she came back up to temp I saw a small drip roll of the pump. I shined some light in the area to see if I could find the source when I noticed a small hole on the back side of the pump on the top towards the fron of the bike. I could clearly see the pump moving while the engine was running.

I went inside to get the camera so I could get a picture but the storm started to roll in.

Anyone have any info on this? The hole looks perfectly round as if was drilled. She has been running hot while sitting in traffic but the dealer said it was normal on the fan does kick on at the required temp. Would like to find out if it normal before I go back to the dealer or order any new parts.

Thanks.
Falcon

05 Sprint ST 1050

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
Most water pumps have a hole drilled into them called a "weep hole". This allows you to check for coolant coming out of that hole when the pump seals are starting to fail. So I'd guess you're in need of a water pump very soon!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of this hole.

A weep hole would only show the shaft. You should not see the pump.

This could be another instance of incorrect nomenclature. When I read that you could see the pump moving, you might be meaning the shaft, and I am thinking pump, as in impellers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mistake on the nonmenclature; It is the shaft that I see, not the pump/impellers. I tried to get some pictures, now that it is not raining, but just couldn't get the light in there for the camera to focus. I did confirm that the coolant is coming out of the weep hole.

As soon as she came up to temp there was a very small leak, no stream of fluid. When I turned the engine off a little more fluid came out, then it stopped. Sounds like a replacement is due on the pump.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I could be wrong on this, but I don't believe the ST pump has a weep hole. A weep hole would be located on the bottom of the shaft housing. I think you might have a shaft housing that has corroded due to a shaft seal leak. Either way, it looks like you need a new pump.

Now that I've said that, watch someone post a picture of a pump weep hole. :D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Usually the castings have a weep hole......

Ok ran out to the bike and yeah, I dont see a weep hole either..... huh. learned something new today.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the best I can get with the camera.
Hole is not really visible in the shot but follow the trail of fluid up from the drip and that is where it is located. Picture is taken from the front of the bike looking back and up. The hole looks perfectly circular, but then again I'll get a better look at when the I take it off to replace it.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Weep holes are usually between the pump seal and the bearing to prevent coolant getting in the bearing. It is quite common to see a small leak from this hole as the seal fails. Replace the pump ASAP. OnD, Not everyone knows the correct terminology, you know what he means, Get over it.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Thank you for the nice words. That was very helpful.

I was seeking clarification before giving off the wall advice. Silly me! I should have just signed up for your ESP correspondence course. That way no questions or clarification will ever need be asked again.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Alright well, weep hole or not you have to replace your pump! Once it is out then take a picture and we can see the weep hole. It does sound like it has one.

Yes MrFixit you are correct on where a weep hole usually exists and I think that was what OnD put in his original post so I am not sure why you are posting things like "get over it". I didnt see the reason for that comment. These types of comments are getting boring on this forum. Cheers. :)

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Yes, they are getting very boring and tiresome. Especially when they come from someone that mentions "not very helpful" and has not done anything helpful that I can see.

I can poke some people that deserve poking, but I did not do that in this thread. And I'll be damned if I can see why Mrfixit has his panties in a wad! But, I really don't care so long as BlueFalcon understands I was not trying to offend him.

It is getting very difficult to try and help people when the peanut gallery pipes up and passes judgment on intent.

So, Mrfixit we will all be waiting to read your helpful comments.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Agreed..... it is happening way to often. It seems like the harmony that existed here is being eaten away at by people who are looking for confrontation or believe that confrontation is the only way to spice up a thread. To much of that from to many people.

Anyway back on topic. BlueFalcon I don't believe that a waterpump is to difficult a job but if you are inclined I would like to see some pics of it disassembled. Good thread as I dont believe water pumps actually get covered that often.

·
Premium Member
24,301 Posts
Weep holes are usually between the pump seal and the bearing to prevent coolant getting in the bearing. It is quite common to see a small leak from this hole as the seal fails. Replace the pump ASAP. OnD, Not everyone knows the correct terminology, you know what he means, Get over it.
MrFixit,
OND was only stating that it was possible the terminology was leading us astray which is easily done when you only have typed words.

I for one did not understand exactly what he meant.

It is true we do not all know the correct terminology but that doesn't mean we want to continue not knowing does it?:rolleyes:

I suggest if you do not have any helpful contribution you do not post.

The only negative and sarcastic comments in this thread are from you MrFixit.
I see you have been here since Nov 2007 and have a total of 8 posts several of them are here and all sarcastic and negative.
If you cannot contribute then I suggest you say nothing.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi All,

Thanks for all of the replies.

OnD, I was not offended by your comment; fact is I was thinking "Doh, that's what I meant”. Seeing the impellers would have been bad and I meant the shaft.

Calliway,
I will definitely take some pictures of the new water pump when it comes in and of the old water pump after I take it out. I will post them to this thread after I get them and try to take pictures of the removal and install process as well.

Figures, the weather is supposed to be beautiful all week and through the coming weekend and I'll be waiting for parts; I think it has rained 27 days out of the past 30.
Ugh, New England

Thanks again,
Falcon

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you need a garage to work on it in, I'm just a short ride up in Portland! :)
Thanks CaddyDaddy,

I'll be able to work on her here, it's just that now that the weather is so beautiful I want to ride her but I don't want to take them chance and cause any damage. Local dealership isn't open until tommorow (Tuesday) and I know I'll have to wait for parts to come in. Unless any one out there has a spare that won't mind shipping overnight to me. ;)

I might just replace the thermostat and the radiator cap at the same time. The hoses were replaced at the beginning of the season when I noticed they were starting to crack. She had been running hot after that and I noticed a little coolant on the radiator; I brought it back to the dealer and they said that the hose clamps needed to be tightened. Whenever I smell coolant, and you know that smell, I checked the bike; hose, radiator, etc, but didn't noticed any drips or signs until the other day.
Oh well, better to off the bike for a week waiting for parts then waiting for a rebuild because the pump failed and caused other engine damage.

I'll be back on the road after I have new parts installed. Hopefully parts will come in quickly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts