Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was dark, 5:45am. Sunrise was 45 minutes away. Two lane country road, 50mph speed limit. I had just passed a car, then crested a hill doing 65. My right turn was within sight. DEER, walking left to right! Not alone, two more at a small space behind. No time to brake, off throttle, steer right and shoot the gap between one and two. Speed? Don't know. Wasn't looking. GET SKINNY! Almost made it. Clipped number two on the left side of my bike. Left leg hurts, bike seems fine maybe a bent shift lever. Made it through.

·
Registered
2003 TBS
1,453 Posts
Sounds like you're pretty fortunate, it could have been a lot worse. Glad you're okay, what happened to the deer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly, the deer didn't make it. I hit her head with my fork and left leg. Lost a reflector from the left fork, but no other damage to the bike.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Deep Sea, Don't feel sorry for the deer, think of it this way; you eliminated one, and maybe saved someone else from hitting it later and suffering far worse damage than you did. I've nailed two of the #%[email protected]* things with cars , and had several close calls, fortunately none YET on an M/C. Here in upstate New York there are are too many getting nailed by cars, and promoting Lyme Disease. More need to be culled.
We are getting into the time of year when they represent the highest danger on the roads.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I hit one 3 years ago with my bonneville. Deer ran out from the middle of the divided street and pretty much t-bonned me. Kneed it in half, head ended up hitting the front fender shattering it, and the hit was hard enough to be knocked off the road. Kept the bike up.

Ended up pulling back onto the road and pulled off a little bit up the road and laid on the side for a bit. Bike didn't have much damage. Front fender had snapped in half, the side casing on the bike ended up with a very small leak from my ankle hitting it hard enough to disrupt the seal, and the "choke" was smashed by my leg. I had a shattered ankle, leg broker below the knee on both sides, and more knee damage to an already screwed up knee.

I inspected the bike, got back on and road home. On the ride I called my brother and had him meet me at my house to take me to the ER.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It was dark, 5:45am. Sunrise was 45 minutes away. Two lane country road, 50mph speed limit. I had just passed a car, then crested a hill doing 65. My right turn was within sight. DEER, walking left to right! Not alone, two more at a small space behind. No time to brake, off throttle, steer right and shoot the gap between one and two. Speed? Don't know. Wasn't looking. GET SKINNY! Almost made it. Clipped number two on the left side of my bike. Left leg hurts, bike seems fine maybe a bent shift lever. Made it through.
Sounds like you did the right thing! A lot of people may have panicked and target fixated on the deer and not been able to react but it seems like you were able to make some pretty quick decisions. Well done and glad you are ok!

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's rough dude. I nearly hit one yesterday about 1645. One of the scariest moments I've had on a bike.

Big picture though, I'm glad you're okay. That's a scary moment.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Glad you're OK, no fun that's for sure. The increasing deer populations are no joke and I have contacted my local DNR and written to my state legislators about increasing the hunting limits. I urge you all to do the same. Good luck DeepSea!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Glad to hear you made it through okay.
It's that time of year, they're all over the place.
I have nothing against deer but they're like giant squirrels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts