Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!!
I am having a problem with my Daytona (yr.2000). Some times when I try to start it I hear a hiss or a puff noise and its hard to start when this noise occurs. I am now starting to hear at low rpm also, but it is non consistent. Also it dies sometimes while at stop lights when I hear it. My thoughts are it is missing or an exhaust leak??? Would an exhaust leak cause the motor to die??. I have had an exhaust leak on my car and it was very consistent so I am not sure if that is it. It also sounds like it is coming from the front of the motor
Things I have tried
New Battery
New Plugs
New air filter

Any Thoughts??? Please
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Dunno if the 2k is the same as the 05 in fuel set up but if it is it sounds like a vacuum prob in the fuel tank. just a thought.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
It sounds like it could be the Earth Block, a blue plate with a bunch of wires leading to it in front of your battery box. Look for it and see if there are any wires fried under there. If so, do a search on t595.net and there is a lot of info on replacing it. Or, just check to be sure your battery terminals are clean and tight.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
More information required, is the hiss continual? How about the puff?

It could be that your valve clearances have closed up and are not allowing the valve to close properly when the motor is cold, the hiss is the compression leak.

Get the valve clearances checked pronto!

Mick :cool:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks for the replies,
To miker: the hiss and puff are the same noise and it is very inconsistent. For example yesterday ran great no noise at all, no stalls at stop signs, but the day before that the noise was there and hard starts...today was the worst day I can hear the noise that sound like a "puff or a hiss" and bike was hard to start and it stalled at every stop light. The bike still pulls very hard and dont think it is missing at high rpm.
It does sound like it is a compression leak bc it seems to be coming from the very left cylinder(from rider position) so I will have the valves checked.
It does it not only when its cold but even hot too.
My question is can a valve stick sometimes but not all the time???

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i blew one of my vacuum hoses off blipping the throttle about a year ago.
it was a back fire, and the bike ran rough till i took it in.
(doubt that's your issue tho)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
On 2006-11-30 19:10, miker wrote:
More information required, is the hiss continual? How about the puff?

It could be that your valve clearances have closed up and are not allowing the valve to close properly when the motor is cold, the hiss is the compression leak.

Get the valve clearances checked pronto!

Mick :cool:
If you cannot locate the noise immediatly, you should check the valve clearances as you could easily burn a valve if they are too tight.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again guys,
I ordered the service manual and as soon as it gets here Ill check the valves... don't feel like paying the dealer 600 bucks to check them.. hope that is the problem????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts