Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!!
I am having a problem with my Daytona (yr.2000). Some times when I try to start it I hear a hiss or a puff noise and its hard to start when this noise occurs. I am now starting to hear at low rpm also, but it is non consistent. Also it dies sometimes while at stop lights when I hear it. My thoughts are it is missing or an exhaust leak??? Would an exhaust leak cause the motor to die??. I have had an exhaust leak on my car and it was very consistent so I am not sure if that is it. It also sounds like it is coming from the front of the motor
Things I have tried
New Battery
New Plugs
New air filter

Any Thoughts??? Please :???: :???: :???:
Thanks Guys

·
Registered
90 Posts
hate to say this daytona 2000, but sounds like a head gasket. That would cause the motor to die at idle. Hard to start because of compression loss. The reason you're hearing it more is because the gasket is progressively breaking down. The hissing is compression passing through a small space, ie headgasket.
Check your coolant , if ok get a compression and leak down test done. The leak down test will pin point any combustion issues if indeed it is the head gasket.

·
Registered
899 Posts
A head gasket shouldn't be to bad to change either. Should be able to leave the motor in the bike, just follow your manual and tear down is a breeze, make sure everything is clean going back together. It'll also give you a chance to decarbon your pistons and head. Like 93-daytona said leak down will tell you for sure and will also tell you if your rings and valves are sealing good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
not quite that easy, thought I would share a little info on head removal. Re-sealing the sleeves is highly recommended. the 955i uses ThreeBond 1215 as a sealer.The engine 885cc used Hylomar. Even if you are very carefull not to turn the engine over with the head removed, there's no guarantee that one or more of the liners has a damaged seal. When the head is lifted clear of the locating dowels the liners can stick and partially lift, inturn damaging the semi-flexable seal.
You may get it back together and experience no leak.
If it does leak, you will have to do the whole job again plus the cost of another head gasket. Not worth the risk.
To make matters worse, when you do go to remove the liners you may find that they are very secure. The ThreeBond grips far more effectively than the Hylomar, but it may still leak. The only and correct method is to use a liner puller. Sometimes I have noted that with the liners removed for resealing, the seal in places was very thin but still hard to lift, even with the correct triumph puller, others have been very easy to remove with hand lifting pressure only, and would have leaked for sure.
If indeed it turns out to be the head gasket, you will have to make the 'call'. Re-seal or not. What ever you do don't allow anyone near the cases with a welding torch offering to loosen the liners. They are a hand slip in fit. Heating achieves nothing but potentially set fire to the bike or at least damage the paintwork!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,

Ill do the leak down....my service manual is on the way.

93-Daytona Thanks for the extra advice I think Ill do the seals also but since this is the first time Im taking a bike engine apart and I dont have the manual yet I not quite sure what your talking about..but will find out soon :)

Thanks again
ps the coolant is fine for right now

[ This message was edited by: daytona2000955i on 2006-12-02 12:57 ]

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey 93-daytona how much is a liner puller??

·
Registered
90 Posts
good news on the coolant. Fingers crossed its not the gasket. Once the leak down is done you will have more answers. Have you been looking around for any other obvious causes in the meantime. With the tank off you could check for a loose, cranked or missing vacuum line from around the inlets,throttle bodies,stepper valve and fuel pump regular. Also check the air pressure line from the air box to the ECU. An air leak will cause the engine to stall. The hissing could actually be vacuum leaking.
If you have the fuel vapour canister as part of the emission control check the air lines there too. If you have this it will be found under the fuel rail, and it has Honda on it :)
The puller was nearly $700NZ
Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
daytona2000955i, Symptoms of a failed head gasket are:

1. Milky oil
2. Discoloration of the coolant
3. Unexplained high rate loss of coolant
4. White smoke out of the exhaust when engine is fully warmed (most visible on a hot restart)
5. Failed leak-down (generally two adjacent cylinders)

I haven't heard noise from a failed head gasket, but I wouldn't discount it. Sometimes the engine even won't run much different. Is it getting cooler where you are? If so that can really make a vacuum leak pesky. Throttle bodies balanced recently? Fuel pressure checked?

Brad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts