Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Was looking at their web site yesterday. Do you know if they also adjust the ignition timing?

Unsure. I do know that there is not one single AFR; it varies by throttle position, engine load, RPM, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
What we need is a U.S. based equivalent to Hilltop. There'd be no need to play 'cagey' with the dyno results, and getting the motor to run a bit cooler and better overall would be a boon to the bikes' longevity and health as well.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Nah, at this point that’s not important to me. Plus it would be a lot of extra expense and hassle. The impact while riding is very apparent, and the similar work they did on my F800GS is visible on the dyno.
Do you know anyone else with a 765 that you've done pulls with out riding? What very apparent differences have you noticed?

Such a shame that the Triumph results aren't visible on the dyno, this leaves a bad taste. The "before" dyno posted by Hilltop is the only dyno curve I've ever seen that looks like that for this bike, which points to it being intentionally handicapped so their after results look better.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Unsure. I do know that there is not one single AFR; it varies by throttle position, engine load, RPM, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have spoken with Hilltop re their "flash" or rather "fueling management system" whatever you wish to call it. I did not get any real info on how they do what they say they do, but they did indicate they only change fueling and timing. so that you could do with a PCV, whether costs compare that depends where you are and dyno time.
The fact that they claim there system is dynamic and adapts to any add on or environmental parameters is what is mostly questioned. Some say it can't be done by reason of ECU design. I have no idea, but in my previous experience, wide band lambda sensors would be required in addition to software to accomplish this.
On another forum one poster claimed they change everything to closed loop and alter the output stream somehow, sounds dubious, but then that's above my pay grade as well.

I however have seen before and after dyno run charts on a street triple (with locked ECU) from a customer who rode in to Hilltops shop. The up shot was after their alterations the peak HP and torque were not affected, low to mid range values were significantly smoothed and raised, almost as if someone took a pencil and drew a straightish line to about the mid point thereafter following the stock curve almost exactly. A/F was over rich to about 3,000 RPM then leveled off at about 12.5 to 13. This at least on that bike was a noticeable improvement over the stock run where it ran very lean and was up and down. I don't have the chart, sorry. There are some before and after Hilltop runs on other bikes online, I'm sure you might find them with a search.

The take away for me was what I thought was a true flash and "unlocking" of the Triumph or Kehein ECU rather, is a fueling/timing only, kind of work around applied to a blank space on the ECU. If that's of interest then it may be a solution for you. If you want dyno proof they did something to your bike, you have to go to their shop for the procedure, otherwise if you do a mail in, your going on faith and hope.

Some believe in hilltop some don't, pay your money take your choice.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts