Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One thing you could do is install some highway pegs to stretch your legs periodically. The only option I can find is expensive: R n G engine guards plus the pegs...probably an expensive proposition. But hell, if you are going to tour well worth the investment in comfort
Ndo,

I totally agree with you and did exactly that. After mounting the very expensive R&G Adventure Bars, I bought a pair of Kuryakyn Trident ISO #7560 highway pegs, a pair of Kuryakyn Peg Mounts #7573, and a pair of Drag Specialties Frame Clamps for 7/8" bars, all in black. These two sets cost a total of $105 plus tax.

Mounting them was relatively easy, although I discovered that the clamps around the bars could slip even after tightening them down quite a bit. I inserted a thin strip of rubber between the clamp and the bar on each side. The extra friction seems to have done the trick.

After returning from a 250-mile lunch ride today, I took several photos of the highway pegs as they are attached to the adventure bars.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has anyone mounted highway pegs on the new trophy? Perhaps on R & G crash bars? Does this work? Do your legs easily reach around the fairing? Thanks for any responses. I need to straighten out my knees sometimes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has anyone mounted highway pegs on the new trophy? Perhaps on R & G crash bars? Does this work? Do your legs easily reach around the fairing? Thanks for any responses. I need to straighten out my knees sometimes.
Hi Broom,

Yes, indeed. In another thread I just posted that information for the highway pegs I recently installed on my R&G bars.

I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam and can rest my feet quite well on these pegs or stretch my legs out by laying my calves on them. The only caveat is that my knees are slightly higher and can block the rear view in the mirrors, unless they are readjusted.

Don

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don how do you find the pegs that are mounted on the bars for position and comfort ?
Although they could perhaps hang down a bit lower, they are reasonably comfortable. On a 250-mile lunch ride today to Lake Placid (FL), I tried them out for quite a while and do like how they allow me to change leg position.

The only thing missing now would be a good backrest. My 2010 Concours 14 had the Corbin seat with Smuggler case and I really enjoyed having that case to support my lower back on long rides.

I've updated my previous post to attach several photos.

Don

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
How good a job does the r and g crash bars do with a stopped drop do they protect the bags too?
Hi Steve,

Since I have not (yet) dropped my bike, I really can't give you a definitive answer to that question. I've thought about just laying it over on each side to check, but just haven't been very eager to risk it.

In addition to R&G's Adventure Bars, I've also installed their Rear Axle Slider, Front Axle Sliders, and Exhaust Protector. All items were ordered through TwistedThrottle.com. I also installed R&G's Radiator Guard, Downpipe Grill, and the Mudguard Extension from Triumph.

After paying nearly $23K with registration and taxes for this bike, I decided the extra expense to protect it would be worthwhile.

Don

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To enjoy the beautiful weather today (4/2), I took the bike out for a 100-mile ride (r/t) to Port Mayaca on the east shore of Lake Okeechobee and while there shot some additional photos of the highway pegs.

The first two show the cockpit view in both the down and up positions.
The last two show a closeup view of the right-side peg in both positions.

Now that I've ridden several times with my feet on them, I find that they are actually helpful and comfortable, and also help with some airflow through my mesh ridng pants. I did have to adjust the mirrors so that my knees wouldn't block my rear view.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those look nice, but wow almost $700?
Unfortunately, yes :( Since only R&G Racing currently offer any kind of "adventure bars" for the new Trophy, they can dictate the price. For me the bars are a mandatory accessory to protect the expensive fairing panels in a tip-over, which happened to me on several occasions with my Concours 14, which I had protected with a frame slider kit from ProjektD.com in Taiwan.

At least the highway pegs were not too expensive after I tracked down the various pieces for a complete set.

Don

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks Don , couldn't find anything that dia on line though when I had the part number we found them ...
Thanks again
Brad

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Don , couldn't find anything that dia on line though when I had the part number we found them ...
Thanks again
Brad
You're very welcome, Brad,

As I mentioned in a previous posting, I found it difficult to snug the clamps tightly enough on the adventure bars to keep the pegs in position when I put my feet on them and pushed down a bit too hard. I solved that by putting thin strips of rubber, such as from an old inner tube, between the clamps and the bars before tightening the bolts a much as possible. That seems to have solved the slipping.

Good luck!

Don

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don, Thanks for the posts and especially the pictures. Think I'll wait on the bars for a bit and see who comes out with a less expensive set. Right now I'm playing with my GPS to figure out how I want to mount it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don, Thanks for the posts and especially the pictures. Think I'll wait on the bars for a bit and see who comes out with a less expensive set. Right now I'm playing with my GPS to figure out how I want to mount it.
I mounted my GPS with a Ram Mount ball screwed into the spot on the brake perch where a mirror would go. I put it on the right side because it is closest to the battery.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I mounted my GPS with a Ram Mount ball screwed into the spot on the brake perch where a mirror would go. I put it on the right side because it is closest to the battery.
Thanks. I ordered the Triumph GPS mount, a Garmin 350 (with the $100 rebate) and a Scena SMH10-11. I think I'll cool it for awhile, blew the bike budget for this month.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts