Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent most of the last few days getting the new bars on - not that it took two days, but I was taking my time. The Highlander bars require longer front brake, throttle, and clutch cables, none of which I'd replaced before. So I found myself removing the carbs for the first time to get to the throttle attachment points, then futzing with the clutch cable to get it right, then learning how to fill and bleed the front brake line. Fun stuff - couldn't have done it without this forum and the Haynes manual.

I'm TOTALLY thrilled with the results - exactly the riding position I'd been hoping for. Guess this makes me an official member of the Bonnie high bar club, but I'm proud to join. I think I had more 70's Bonnie crossed with a bit of the Fonz in my head when I bought my bike last year anyway. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Nice.. I like em man, Good job.
I added some bar risers to mine which helped but still not where I'd like them to be.
All the cables and lines are stretched to there max but, I could still use them.

Bill

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 more thing...where did you get your clutch cable and front brake cable from?
I got everything from bellacorse. The owner (Mike?) gets the cables custom-made somewhere, they take a few weeks. I ordered everything the week of Thanksgiving, and they just finally showed up on Wednesday. Here's the link to the full setup:

http://bellacorse.com/bcc173.htm

Jeff

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool...lotsa good ridin out here. Why the move...?
Grew up and went to college there, then knew that if I wanted a decent job doing software development I'd need to get out of dodge. Lived in Pittsburgh for a long time and then came out to Phoenix early last year.

Is there even a Triumph dealer near there? I wasn't into motorcycles yet when I was still in town.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Getting High

Spent most of the last few days getting the new bars on - not that it took two days, but I was taking my time. The Highlander bars require longer front brake, throttle, and clutch cables, none of which I'd replaced before. So I found myself removing the carbs for the first time to get to the throttle attachment points, then futzing with the clutch cable to get it right, then learning how to fill and bleed the front brake line. Fun stuff - couldn't have done it without this forum and the Haynes manual.

I'm TOTALLY thrilled with the results - exactly the riding position I'd been hoping for. Guess this makes me an official member of the Bonnie high bar club, but I'm proud to join. I think I had more 70's Bonnie crossed with a bit of the Fonz in my head when I bought my bike last year anyway. :cool:

Great Job Jeffz! The bike looks wonderful my man! Welcome to the Rat Pack Highriser Group!
It's funny, when I got my bonnie, I remembered having the last one, a 72, set up with what were called "western bars" which looked just like, to me anyway, the "highlanders" so I asked them to install the western bars from the git go. When I picked up the bike, the bars were waaaayyy to wide for me to be comfortable and not even with much rise at all.
Called Mike at BC and he fired off a set of the "highlanders" and soon they were installed with great results. My guess is that over the years the two designations somehow changed a bit and so the mix up.....
You should experience a much better riding ergonomic with those. I did add a Modre peg lowering kit since my legs tend to be long and that did the job, for me anyway.
The highlanders are a great looking set of bars, just shy of being labeled "ape hangers" and so make the bike look nice as well as change your position.
Maybe we should lobby for a separate group designation.....hahahaha.....we could call ourselves The Highrollers or something unique.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the riding position is just what I wanted with these - and I wouldn't have wanted the wider western bars either. The highlanders almost seem a bit narrower than the stock bars, but with my wrists turned to a more ergonomically pleasing angle and the way they're higher I don't feel compressed at all.

I considered the peg lowering kit too, but I'm fine with the controls where they are - I added a set of the billy bars so that I can stretch my legs out forward on longer rides if I want. Now with the bars, I've got all the flexibility and riding position comfort I could ask for.

Jeff

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jeffz -- did you have to do anything to the wires to get them to reach the higher position on the bars?
Not really - just unclipped them from the old bars (there are little black plastic rings that snap into holes in the stock bars). I don't think there would be a way to route them so they're flush along the bars with the highlanders - not enough slack. So they're just angled from the controls straight down towards the back of the headlight like you can see in my pics.

There's an older thread somewhere where a guy with similar (but higher) bars actually routed the wires through the inside of the bars - but that required cutting all the harnesses (which are inside the headlight casing if you've never removed it) and seemed like a huge pain in the ass. I'm fine with the way mine look. :D

Jeff

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the BellaCorse pictures, they have the wires following the angle of the handlebars. I guess they took a little poetic license with it.
They installed (or reused) a clip to hold the wires closer to the bars. I could do the same thing, except I'll have to find new clips since mine got stripped when I pulled them out of the stock bars. If you look at their top pic, they're not following the bars all that closely.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 31 Posts