Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent hours using the search function to research seat options for my 2008 Sprint. I seem to be almost unique in that the last thing I want is a lower seat - being 6' 4" tall with a 36" inseam. My feet are flat on the ground with my knees very bent!

The bike now has 12000km on the clock and the seat seems to be getting softer and softer. I now suffer from numb nut syndrome after just 30 minutes. I have tried an Airhawk which was just as bad if not worse regardless of how much or how little air I put in it. Because of my height I sit as far back in the seat as possible and any air in the Airhawk simply displaces to the front to accentuate the numb nut syndrome!

Last week I got my local motor trimmer to fill the dip in the seat with EVA foam to raise it a bit and stop me sinking into the seat. Contarary to my instructions he also put EVA foam over the peak of the seat and 2 layers up the back - so it pushes me forward. So I have ripped the cover off, put it back to original, and now I am back to square one.

I would appreciate some advice. I get the impression from previous posts and associated photos that the 2008 gel is lower than the stock seat and also seems to have the same sort of dip. Is that correct?

The Corbin and other options are also lower?

Are there any tall riders out there who have modified the stock seat successfully.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
0 Posts
You might be able to peel the foam away from the seat base and add some foam under there. I was able to do it on my 2007 non-gel seat. You just need to take your time and only peel enough away to give you room to insert the extra foam. A Stanley knife will help.

If you get yourself one of those blue camping mattresses (about $A10.00 and 8 - 10mm thick, so not as thick as a Collingwood supporter) and cut a/some pieces in the shape of the rider's area of the seat base, using a good pair of scissors, you can insert them in there. If you only add two or three pieces your stock seat cover should still be able to fit with a bit of a stretch.

You might even try inserting a layer on top of the existing foam to add firmness but the lines will show up through the cover. It should look acceptable if you shape it properly.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the effect I was after and ended up remodelling the seat.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you John. I'm not quite as tall, but I don't like the seat either. Sitting so low tends to push me straight into the tank, which forces my legs to spread wider. Since the seat is like a valley that you're stuck in, I can't back up and away from the tank. I use an Airhawk and like it for my rear end, but after a while, my hips get really bothered from my legs being spread at such an awkward angle. I also would welcome a bit of extra legroom to though!

What I'm interested is a flatter seat (one that doesn't "lock" me in between the pillion and the tank), as well as a bit of extra height.

I keep meaning to visit an upholsterer, but I just haven't found the time yet. Do you think things would have been better if your seat guy had just padded the trough of the seat and not up the back?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am curious as to your findings.. I too am a tall rider a little over 6'2 with long legs. I find that my knees hit the fairings at times.. thought of the lower pegs, but that would cause the knees to make contact all the time with the way the seat kinda keeps you near the tank.

still love the Sprint though :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Custom Seat

I experienced the same problem with numb nuts and knees hitting the fairing. First tried the gel seat, better but still not good. Finally had a seat builder customize my original pan, which lifted me up and relaxed the forward slide. So find a local upholsterer or seat builder.

B

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Likewise, I'm 6' 2" and had the seat reworked by a local upholsterer and extra foam added, and extra for the pillion as well... at the rear the foam is only around an inch thick near the bolts !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions. The main problem with the modification done by the auto trimmer was certainly how he built it up at the back. Apart from that it was 8 out of 10.

I think I'll try the suggestion of peeling part of the foam from the seatpan and inserting some EVA foam from a sleeping mat between the two. If that doesnt work it's back to a different auto trimmer with some of the ideas from this thread and also from Ralphus with whom I exchanged personal messages after reading one of his earlier threads on the subject of seat modifications.

I have to say that the seat on the 1999 Sprint 955 that I sold to buy my 2008 Sprint 1050 had a very comfortable seat. I could ride 10 hour days without any discomfort. The "new" seat is very disappointing.

I'll keep you informed and post some photos if there is anything worth looking at.

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Got bored watching TV so I had a go at separating the foam from the pan along one side of the seat. It was very easy as it is glued on only along the edge.

A potential problem with inserting a layer of firm foam is the fact that the pan is heavily sculpted with deep troughs and large ribs that penetrate up into the existing foam. I assume they are to give strength to the plastic pan. It looks as if the foam is blow moulded in-situ on to the pan as it is such a perfect fit onto the valleys and ribs.

Can anyone who has done this modification tell me how the inserted foam behaves when it is put between the sculpted pan and the mirror image on the bottom of the original foam? When first inserted it must take up at least double the height that it will when compressed into shape - because of the huge airspaces above and below. Does the inserted foam eventually deform permanently to fit between the pan and the original foam or does it sink down every time you sit on it and then rise when you get off? My worry is that it is going to be very difficult to gauge the correct thickness of foam and it might be like sitting on a soggy cake rather than creating a firmer seat.

John

·
Registered
0 Posts
The inserted foam, if it's the camping mattress type, once used for a short while, will conform to the existing shape of the seat base and seat foam. I did it with two layers at the one time and both conformed, so no problem there.

If you decide to take that foam out after having ridden with it a few times, it'll stay that shape.

By the way, you don't need to cover the whole seat base, just insert it to the spot that needs building up. So, if you want to raise it in the middle, just place a piece there.

Also, if you just remove a few staples, there's no need to staple the seat cover in place to test. Just pull it back into place and it'll stay there. If you aren't happy with the result, try something else and when you eventually find the seat is where you want it then you can staple the cover back in place. I rode without staples in the front half of my seat cover for a month with no problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that Flinders 72. This morning I am going to Canberra for a couple of days. Will take the opportunity to get a better quality EVA sleeping mat than the one I have at the moment and then I'll have a go.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts