Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Sylvannia XV 6024 tonight on my 09 Bonneville after reading some threads on here. It's certainly brighter than stock but I haven't been able to hit a dark road and decide if I'm satisfied yet.

Install went clean (plug and play) and everything's working great except for the Highbeam idiot light.

Is this because of the loss of the parking light? If so, is there a way to get the idiot light back without chopping wires or reinstalling the stock light?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Power to high beam filament is carried by blue/white wire. It branches off towards the instrument panel connector. With headlight high beam working, check with meter or test lamp that the wire has 12 volts on it. If it has then either the beam indicator bulb is blown, has a bad connection or its ground is missing. See this diagram:

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
I installed the Sylvannia XV 6024 tonight on my 09 Bonneville after reading some threads on here.
Install went clean (plug and play) and everything's working great except for the Highbeam idiot light.

Is this because of the loss of the parking light? If so, is there a way to get the idiot light back without chopping wires or reinstalling the stock light?
Mr. JxBonnie,

I used the same bulb on my 06, without issue. Later I used the parking light leads as a voltage source. Go with Forchettos advice.

Namaste,
Charles

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great. Thanks for the advice guys. I won't be able to check it out until tomorrow but I'll try to report back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I installed the Sylvannia XV 6024 tonight on my 09 Bonneville after reading some threads on here. It's certainly brighter than stock but I haven't been able to hit a dark road and decide if I'm satisfied yet.
If you want to get the headlight to its brightest there will be a noticeable improvement by making sure that the bulb/sealed beam unit is fed with full voltage. Voltage drops can be caused by the pathetically thin wiring and through connectors and switches. A voltage drop of around 2 volts will almost halve the light output (in lumens).

To address this problem you would need to install relays and take the main wiring straight back to the battery:

http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-twins-technical-talk/419825-headlamp-improvements.html

As to your idiot light not working I would suspect that the bulb has either blown or lost contact in the rubber holder. This can be checked by carefully popping off the lens of the light using something thin such as a knife or scraper. The bulb is capless and just wedge fits in the holder. Also check the instrument panel connector block inside the headlamp shell in case you disturbed anything when working on the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts