Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

long shot but hope that anyone can help.

Have an 03 TT600, which has just had a major service at 18k miles. Garage was unable to locate cause of my problem.

When cold bike starts fine and revs to 3k ish, til warm then drops back to idle speed, 1kish. Fine.

Problem is when i start the bike when warm. It revs upto 5k until dropping down to 2k. eventually dropping off to idle speed.

There are now engine management warnings on the bike.

So has this happened to anyone before?

Someone suggested air intake or choke problems. I am reluctant to take it to dealers are the cost they charge for looking at bike.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
There's no choke, per se, on a TT600; the engine management system controls the air/fuel ratio at idle by adjusting the fuel ratio and through the IACV (idle air control valve). Because the engine eventually idles well when warm, I don't know if it would be the IACV, but it is worth checking by holding a screwdriver to the stepper motor and holding the handle to your ear. It is possible that the fuel trim/CO setting is off, as that can cause some funky idling issues. A bad reading at the air-temp sensor can cause idling issues, and a clogged barometric line leading to the ECM can also be problematic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it's been ages in garage and finally getting some ideas as to the fault.

Have the PC logged in and no change could make the throttle go to 0% and get above 77.6% despite adjusting the input between 0 & 100%. Not sure what i should looking to get.

No air is getting into the engine as all sealed but still revs high on warm start up.

An experinced Triumph mechanic said i sould look at the Idle control valve, whch could cause is palying up so on the hunt for a second hand one.

Trying to do the breakers route but don't have a picture of one, any one help?
Garage going to remove and clean it up if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Have you checked the IACV as I described above? It's pointless throwing parts at the engine before figuring out if the old parts are faulty.

The throttle position value will not show 0% or 100%; it is a number based on where the throttle position sensor is fixed on the engine in relationship to the throttle shaft, so 10% showing can be closed throttle. The ECM uses those values to ensure that you are getting full throttle, and throttle doesn't sound like your problem. Obviously, if something is obstructing the cable, or if it is incorrectly adjusted, there will be issues, but that is easy enough to check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It wasnt idle control valve, garage had one from spare bits so tried it and made no difference. Phew no money spent there.

They manually adjusted a sensor on RHS, can't remember what it was called and this has helped, making the engine drop from 5000 to 3000 on start up and settle back to normal running much quicker.

Going to try an have bit more time on it tomorrow but looks like we have got somewhere nearer.

Cheers for help. I hope

I so wanna get out on her.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Was searching for the subject, could not find one here, sorry to hijack this post.

2012 Bonneville, only discover it recently. when one ride or slowing down, say 20-50km/h, with clutch press, when i try to REVV the throttle, the bike does not follow the REVV but instead like wanted to die off, not enough petrol up or what could be the likely cause, if any has experience.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,473 Posts
You may want to ask in the Bonneville forum. I don't know if your bike is injected or if it's got carbs. It sounds to me like it's a vacuum problem or maybe badly out of tune, but it could be a lot of things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts