Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I posted here back in Feb when I found a brand new 2004 955i, and now that it has sort of warmed up here in the great white north, I've taken it out of the crate and put ~400 km on it (the break in period is painful...). All in all I'm pretty impressed.

I would like to upgrade to a high mount CF can, but I do a fair bit of sport touring, and have a great set of Nelson Rigg throw over saddlebags (panniers) and matching trunk bag that worked really well on my TT600. As the TT and the 955 have basically the same stock exhaust configuration, I'm sure the bags will work equally as well on the 955. However, if I upgrade to a high mount, I'm concerned the can will melt the bag on the right side (they have neoprene backing).

Anyone running this sort of combo?? Also, the bags attach at the passenger footpegs, so I'm a little unsure as to how well that will work out...

Sorry for the essay. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Edit: Just read HiDesert's post "Tell me why this won't work", and I think I have my answer...
Guess I'll go with a regular mount CF can, when i get around to it.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
I dfid it !?

Hi Brian............not sure where u ended up with your questions with this, but I had the exact same thought's thru my noggin last year.Got some good advice,but, did it anyway.
I'm running a Trident-Wolf hi mount Carbon system ( the best ) and have a three bag set up for the long distance runs.I picked up Cortech bags.Two tear drop shaped paniers and a rear mount trunk style, all soft sided.I mount the side bags backwards so the tear drop shapes follows the slope of the carbon can,looks good and works great.Keep the bag attachment strapes good and tight to prevent them from getting to close to the can,also don't overload it with weight either.Never any concerns.
This year gonna make a clip on Aluminum bracket that fastens to the old standard exhaust mount bracket to push the panier outward an inch or two so thatr I can load the bag with more gear for the longer trips.

over-all works great,would not have any other set up.
Note:Cortech waterproof system needs work!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know it can be/is being done. As the bike isn't even broken in yet, I'm not in a big rush to upgrade the exhaust. When I do, I will likely be going with a CF Trident exhaust, either high or low mount. I'm pretty sure I can rig something up to keep the bags away from the pipe if i go with the high mount.

Tri955i, you wouldn't happen to have some pics of your set up...

Brian

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are going to switch exhaust anyways why not go to the Trident stubby can and then you can put whatever bags you want on.
http://www.trident-exhausts.com/page-silencers_stubby-cans.php
Yeah, I saw those, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the look...think I would have to see them in person. I definitely like the idea, though.

Our high pipe tucks in behind the footpeg too so if you go for the carbon (no radiated heat unlike stainless) that should work fine too
I was wondering if heat was really an issue with the CF pipes. Being as they tuck under the footpeg, this is likely the route I will take. Too bad we got 2 inches of snow overnight - no riding till the weekend!!

Brian

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Boy those stubbies are gorgeous imo and a fellow Sprinter just put one on his earlier ST and gained serious power on the dyno , I think about 11hp. I would have to reread the post to be sure but it was major significant.

They also sound gorgeous and won't wake up the Mounties.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts