Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 955i that has not been started in about 6 months. I just did a full tune up/ fluid change. bike runs great just noticed the idle is around 2000. Is that normal?? If not what may be the cause??? I thank you all in advance for your help/

·
Registered
295 Posts
On an '02 the idle is 1200rpm so I think yours should be close to that too. I would check any vacuum lines you can find, then the sensor in the exhaust, if the '01 has that. And if that doesn't help, maybe lube up the throttle cables, perhaps it's sticky from sitting for that long. I was told to do mine every spring when I get it out of the garage. And if none of that works, then you'll likely need help from the more seasoned resident smartass here.:D

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
.... you'll likely need help from the more seasoned resident smartass here.:D
You rang? :D
Now look what you started with the other thread!
Actually a certain 'other' member started that back in this thread
The ingratitude - sheesh! :p

No exhaust sensor on the pre-02 drakewn.
Checking that the throttle itself not sticking is a good one.
Probably on the right track with the air leak on the idle control. Either split or disconnected hose, or possibly the valve itself is stuck
You should be able to follow the three hoses from the TB's to the idle control valve located on rear right side of motor.
Check all the hoses for their appearance - you can try pinching each hose (near the valve as opposed to TBs - if hose is leaking will be unchanged) between finger & thumb, which should of course affect that cylinder.
If all three affected equally, possibly the control valve sticking. Try removing it & squirt a little penetrant down the shaft to see if it will free up.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Larson, The correct idle speed is 1200 RPM, +/= 50 RPM.

You aren't alone with this problem on the older T595/D955is (my '98 has joined the high idle club, also.). Most likely culprit is a sticking IAC, but testing for vacuum leaks, throttle cable and etc. is important before plunking ~$120USD down for a new IAC.

My testing has already been through everything, but the IAC itself, which will likely be removed today or tomorrow.

Brad

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
update

Larson, In my case it looks like the IACV is at fault. Basically it's a needle & seat valve with the valve in the IAC manifold. The needle is threaded into a plastic 'nut' in the IACV and in my case that plastic 'nut' is stripped.

One other item to check are the two nuts that hold the two halves together. Make sure that they're tight.

Brad

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
I showed the later style IAC in the fiche print above - I think that's your configuration Larson955i - brad's T595 is a little different (physical) design of IACV but essentially works the same way. Older one perhaps more prone to failure however.

Just to be sure - do you really have a problem? The idle when cold could be as high as 2000 (depending on temp), gradually decreasing to 1200 at 74 deg C engine temp.
Allow the bike to warm up fully to see what the real situation is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your help. After running the bike around town (about 6-10 miles) the idle sits back at 1200rpm. Maybe it was all the new fluids are just needed the throttle spun abit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts