Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,i was just wondering if anybody on here found the bike uncomfortable,on wrists and hands in the begining of ownership seats fine,im getting pins and needles in me fingers also,dont have the money for risers so not a option.so was anybody in the same boat as me and did it get better. its a 955i:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
ynotbiker, The thing to learn is to support your body with your stomach muscles. This takes the weight from your hands and allows a defter touch on the bars. One way to practice is to drop your left hand from the bars. You'll notice that the gut is doing a bit more work.

If you have a '97-'01 D955i you can swap the slip-on mounts for a slightly higher bar position (I'm told).

Brad

·
Super Moderator
21,763 Posts
in uk,shipping ect works out a lot more...
If you could update your profile with your location, that would be helpful - if you look at the other posts here, you'll see that the location appears under the member name and avatar - helps others when responding to recognize if there is anything regionally that might apply (or not) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ynotbiker, The thing to learn is to support your body with your stomach muscles. This takes the weight from your hands and allows a defter touch on the bars. One way to practice is to drop your left hand from the bars. You'll notice that the gut is doing a bit more work.

If you have a '97-'01 D955i you can swap the slip-on mounts for a slightly higher bar position (I'm told).

Brad
thanks brad will try this,infact will try anything to save £300 which i have not got,who invented santa clause hes killing me:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
21,763 Posts
.... will try anything to save £300 which i have not got...
Not trying to be a smarta$$, but do you have the exchange rate backwards?
Those bars are $139, which is only about £85 - even with shipping, maybe not that bad?
Still - even a hundred is a lot if it's not there.

If you do end up thinking about risers (there are a lot of other different options out there), you need to figure how much rise you'll be able to use without interfering on the fairing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Ynotbiker,

The advice about using your stomach is good, you can also support yourself by sqeezing the tank a bit more with your knees ( which brings the abs into play anyhow).

I've only had mine a week but already my body is adapting and I'm feeling more comfortable on the bike. The other side benefit is that when I jump on my Tiger and FJ I'm feeling better connected with the machine because of the improved posture.

I'm going to buy some risers anyway, but I think the above are good habits to get into, just riding a situp bike lets you get away with being slack.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Riding position

I have the Two Brothers clip on riser kit on my 2002 and love them. While you are watching the bucks, something to keep in mind is that the front break line is pretty tight if you try to raise more than a couple of inches or so. Clutch cable doesn't have much room either.

You may want to consider using a kit that allows you to easily adjust the ride position back. You may find yourself wanting to do a track day or setting up some time to aggressively ride the twisties and jonesing for the edge back.

While squeezing the knees and distributing your weight to your lowers is likely to cure the pins and needles, having ride position options on longer trips is a must for me anyway.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
hi all,i was just wondering if anybody on here found the bike uncomfortable,on wrists and hands in the begining of ownership seats fine,im getting pins and needles in me fingers also,dont have the money for risers so not a option.so was anybody in the same boat as me and did it get better. its a 955i:confused:
I did the Heli bars on my '05 955i and really liked them. I now have a set on my 675 as well. The 955, in my opinion, benefits much more from the Helis than the 675. The comfort on the 955 was greatly improved, especially around town. The Helis are a bit wider, too, which helped me to keep the bike turning. The riding position tips you're getting are really going to help you. Getting used to sport bike riding takes a bit of time. Using core and peg weighting is the real key to keeping the upper body quiet and able to relax the arms.
The 955 was the best bike I've ever owned and a REAL sport bike for the street. Keep it stock as long as you can and save up for the Helis if it gets worse.
If Triumph ever makes one of these litre bikes again, I am so in!

·
Premium Member
17,471 Posts
Giving it time is a good idea; I find that I need a sort of muscle/joint calibration period with a new motorcycle. Your body gets used to the riding position.

My 955 had risers on it when I bought it, so I don't know how I'd feel with stock clipons. But I could have done another 750 mile day the next day after I went to Monument Valley. My T595 had the stock clipons, and I had some ergonomic doubts after my first day of riding it. Complete with the pins and needles you mentioned. After a short while, it felt perfectly comfortable, and I did a 600 mile day on that bike. Give it time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
instead of paying for another set of bars,,i heard that you can turn the bars upside down,,,move the left handlebar to the right side and vice versa....these will give u about a 2 inch rise....more comfort.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ebay

just like to thank everyone for there help,ive ended up with some lsl bays off ebay cheap, all fitted to the bike and ready to rock,but the weather in northern england at the mo,and the last week has been ice and snow,am thinking i will get the benifit of these bars in the spring,dont know about yous but i am not as relaxed doing winter riding,might be ok heading home to work on the bike am meaning enjoying your self on twistie roads. i know its easy to say relax but the next bend may just have black ice :eek:wait till spring and get them tyres to the edge roll on;)next thing wanted is a decent screen wind at high speed is a bit hard on the chest anyone know of one am 5ft 11in not bothered about style as long as it works,after this i think ive got the comfort of a 1050 st but with better handling with me daytona me thinks, thanks again great site,safe riding in the new year all the best:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
alternative bars for 955i

So...since Heli Bars are no longer available for the 955i Daytona, has anyone found a new and improved way to modify the bar positioning? By any chance, do Sprint bars fit onto the Daytona?

·
Registered
35 Posts
gets better

I agree with the getting used to the position, and, as my local bike shop said "just get out there and ride it". I found that using my stomach muscles and gripping the tank with my knees helps. The one other thing I did that helped me was to rotate the clutch and brake levers by the tiniest amount - (so as not to trap fingers etc at full lock) - in order to try and keep a straight line from elbow wrist and fingers. I only moved the levers by a fraction but it helped reduce one aspect of the strain. Am 6'1" in case that helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts