Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have HID's installed on their bike??
a few of my friends have them on their full fairing bikes and they look great.(they have lots of hiding spots for the ballasts) Plus you can see wonderfully at night.

I can get the pair of bi-xenon H.I.D.'s for both high/low beam with the telescoping bulbs for pretty cheap from the same store my buddy got them. Didn't know if the wire length was long enough from the bulbs to store the ballasts under the seat in the ONLY hidden spot on the bike.

Any pics would be awesome

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
My '00 Speedy has room under the seat for ballasts, but I'm not sure the latest generation Triples have the same options.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I've seen on NON-Triumph bikes. Yes. The kit is essentially an in-line system that plugs in where your H4 bulbs plug in and then you run the rest to the battery to wire the ballasts with eyelet connectors.
There are several types of bulbs though(not brightness in Kelvin)
There are:
- telescoping ones that a 12V reference hooked to a solenoid moves the bulbs in and out for high/low beam
- toggle ones that a solenoid tips the bulbs up and down at a slight angle
- reflector style that rotate a reflector inside the bulb

What i DO know that since the triple has both bulbs on for high and low is that you need to by a Bi-Xenon bulb that will handle both your high and low otherwise, you wont have a highbeam. The telescoping ones seem to be the best. If you were to wire it with dual filament bulbs that were BOTH HID, it would take too long for the high beam to charge and delay the high beam from coming on instantly. Also, MOST kits will not allow you to use your "Flash to Pass" trigger on the front of the controls to operate the solenoid to flip the beam.
I'm waiting on info from a manufacture on length to find out if i can reach my underseat compartment to mount both ballasts for the HID's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts