Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finished with college this December. I want to buy an old motorcycle so I can learn some of the more complicated maintenance. Have any of you guys hidden a small motorcycle successfully from your wive's? I live in a normal suburb of Central Florida. I think I can keep a small mc on the side of my house without my wife knowing about it for a couple of months.

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
Forgiveness is easier to get than permission.

Worst case scenario is that he will leave you, so problem solved.....go buy a couple more bikes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Been there! Bought a dirt bike and left in at a buddies for a few weeks. Then she went on vacation for two weeks in asia. At that point I brought it home and argued she spent her money on vacation, and I spent mine on a dirtbike.
Dont get me wrong, she still was pissed.
Like previous poster, better to ask for forgiveness!

Thats how dad did it, thats how I do it and its pretty much worked out all right.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Motorcycle App

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought my Thrux when my wife was 8 1/2 months pregnant. I took the day off work and rolled it into my tuff shed in the back yard. I was going to wait until after the baby was born to spring it on her.

I got busted when she intercepted the plates in the mail... It was a rough few days. However, a few months later she was buying me riding gear. So if you do hide it... Make sure you cover all your bases:-(

X

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
The best way is to discuss it and work it out with her. Of course.

The best way on this planet is to hide it in pieces. Choose a time when she's out of town for a few days and have the wheels off and disassembled as much as you'll need. That way part of it is in the shed, part in the garage, part in your shop. At least that's how I hide 'em.

Like Outlaw says, if the issue is she doesn't want you riding or doesn't want you to spend the money, then you need to deal with those issues separately.

My wife had made a big deal about the money specifically, and so I bought my first motorbike with funds from the sale of a couple classic collectible bicycles I'd had since before the wedding. When the motorbike showed up I was in the process of disassembly when she came home early--DOH. I learned her real issue was the safety thing. Maybe she learned it then too? She she opposed it back and forth on money, then safety, then money...and all the while I was working on the basketcase motorcycle project.

Later when I bought the Bonnie, she'd become supportive. Reluctantly and even resentfully if you can imagine the best kind of intense woman who can be resentful and supportive at the same time ;-)

Funny thing is at one point in opposing the Bonnie she demanded, "show me a picture of this motorcycle you plan to buy," clearly thinking she would hate it and be motivated to talk me out of it. I showed her the T100 page torn from the Triumph brochure booklet. She took a look at it and a tell tale melting expression of affection crossed her face. She tried to cover it up but she loved it. She tried to recover and said, "well, at least it's not one of the stupid ones." I have no idea which type of motorcycle she thinks is stupid. I have a feeling I'll find out when I bring the next one home ;-)

·
Registered
350 Posts
If I were you I'd prep the dog house first just in case, make sure the stove is working and that the bathroom is working fine and what not.... Good luck mate. Cheerio.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is too funny.

I was actually thinking about the same thing yesterday.
I just got a Scrambler 2 months ago. I love it to death. But what happened, is that it opened the gates... yup. She needs a mate.

Was wondering how long I could hide it.

And yeah. Definitely easier to ask for forgiveness! I ride mountain bikes. NOT a cheap sport. Usually 5-7K for a good DH rig. I pulled this with mountain bikes before. But it's easier. Once you have 1-2 in the garage, she won't notice an extra set of feels, fork etc.

But with a second motorbike... hmmm... I say let's try it! :D:D:D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tucker

A friend of mine had a Norton Commando for years that his wife didn't know about, he kept it at another friends house in his garage.
It was only when the police came to her door to inform her he had been killed on it when a woman pulled in front of him she found out he had a bike. It was 15 years ago, on fathers day as it was yesterday.

Not forgotten you Tucker.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In my case I started prepping the wife 6 months prior.
I'm going to buy a bike ( but you already have one, your not having another) sounds familiar?
I told her I was going out to buy it, this caused a slight argument, on return I didnt have the bike, (went to pub) said had second thoughts and she was right. after a week I said I had seen another bike again, went to pub returned without bike. The wife asked where's the bike, told her again she was right. Went out in the December again same story, but this time I had put a deposit on a new America, on return wife asked where's bike, same answer. In March same story (Yeh yeh the wife) but this time I arrived home on a brand new America, the wife was gob smacked, I told you I was going to buy a bike. ' i didn't think you meant it was the reply' Shes still not happy but I did tell her and it now sits proudly in my garage next to my Adventurer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Easy.
Just keep it at your mistress' place. That way, any drama that occurs by her finding out about the bike is guaranteed to be COMPLETELY overshadowed by the other discovery.

:D[JOKE!]:D

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Sad, sad, sad :(

A few months ago I told my wife that I was going to buy a 50cc just to get to work and back each day. She threw a fit and said I was an idiot!

She said a 6 foot 4 bloke on a little 50 would look extremely stupid, and I should get one that is big enough! That way I could take her on rides in Summer ;).

And as we sadly don't have our annual holidays at the same time this year, she suggested I fly back to Aus for a few weeks, or ride the bike to England to catch up with friends/family.

One of the many benefits of the wisdom that comes with age, and second wives.

With my first wife I had to beg for 6 months to get a new pair of undies, and would then get ones that made me look like Homer Simpson!

Life shouldn't be so hard, it's too short lads.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Jeez guys, just strap on a pair and tell her what you're doing not ask! When did you let the rot set in?
I mean if it's her money you are spending I guess she may have a point but it it's yours I don't see the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
There are so many things wrong with this thread! Wow.

But I am laughing at all the ideas here anyway (except for the poor bloke on the Norton, that's pretty sad, so in all seriousness an important reason not to hide the fact that one is riding from anyone, especially one's wife).

Given that, as said above its best to work it out with your wife first, find out the issue...money vs safety. You might find the safety issue easier ti work out. Even if your wife diesnt want to ride, the both of you should take an MSF course together, it'd be a fun weekend. And biked are really cheap, relative to a lot of other things.

If none of that works, hide the bike at the mistress' place. Best idea yet! :)

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Parts yes, but a whole motorcycle? That could be tricky.

I did tell my wife I was going to look at a Bonnie just before I bought it. At the time she was in hospital coming round from a general anaesthetic. It's hardly my fault if she forgot I told her.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Why don't you wait until you graduate and get a great high-paying job, then you don't have to hide a damn thing. Maybe then you could buy a brandy or nearly new scooter (Bonnie?) and don't have to learn how to fix an old bike.... Then you would have more time (and money) to wine and dine her. Promise to put her on the back and take her to the Tasty Freeze.

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
My wife told me to go ahead and buy my bike, I hadn't had one for a few years and she knows how much I love riding. I can't imagine needing to hide it from her.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
My advice

Tell your Wife.... Trying to hide it will only come back to bite you square in the arse. My better half and I have been together so long now there is really no need to hide anything. Most everything has fallen down or out by now anyway. Suggestion though, buy her something prior to breaking the news. Mine got a nice rock on her finger for turning sixty on her last birthday, I am hoping it will be good for another bike in the garage when I see the right one. Now for joke you don't tell your Wife,

How do you know when your Mistress is getting fat?

Answer,

She can wear your Wife's clothes..........

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
BTDT. I don't recommend it since it make you look like an arse when she eventually discovers the truth.

If you choose to do this anyway, find a better hiding place...I've used at one time or another the former boiler room here at work, a ministorage building, an empty enclosed trailer, and a remediation building situated at a site of environmental contamination.

Good luck.

--Rich

1 - 20 of 40 Posts