Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been through the exercise of changing the high beam to a HID globe.

It was alot work ie, remove right and left lower fairing, remove upper
fairing, and headlight assembly, to fit HID globe and ballast, as yet to
test it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
very interested to know how you find this works - It is a mod I have been considering for a while.

by the way that looks like quite a big ballast, which brand have you got?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've been running a 5600K Hid in high beam for a good while.
I had it spare after I wrote off my GSXR and took it out of the dip.

On the standard bulb I couldn't tell when High Beam was on. Now I get a good 1/2 mile plus of light.
The only drawback is that I've lost the flash function unless the bulb is already hot.
I'm seriously considering investing in two more for the dips.

·
Registered
218 Posts
for those of you who have done the HID mod, was it a big improvement in field of vision illumination, or was it more of a cool mod?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Lino-There are many threads on HIDs discussing pros and cons. Briefly, for myself, this is a must do. The difference is night and day. Almost literally IMHO. I have have had mine for approx 1 1/2 years and I run the highbeam during the day, there is no way to ignore it, yet it doesn't seem to really bother people I follow because of the cutoff. At night you really have some extra light down the road unlike the stock high beam.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have done the HID main beam conversion (sourced from a lister here) and after some adjustment I can say it's well worth it. High beam actually work now. Should be standard - are you listening big T?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I fitted a 4300K globe to my hi beam, very happy with the improvement.

Had to wind the hi beam adjuster considerably like Mick to light up the road ahead.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Point of information, not that this would dissuade me from making the mod, but some states do not allow retrofitting HIDs because of light scatter. But if the mod makes me safer, I'm for it! In fact, I plan to convert both low and high beams to HID on my CBR.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,

for those of you who have done the HID mod, was it a big improvement in field of vision illumination, or was it more of a cool mod?
In my '06 ST it was not improvement - the true is that the original high beam was such a suck that I can tell changing to HID was like installation of a high beam - really good one :) It's the huge improvement.

The other way - I could test '08 ST some days last year and could ride during night time - I was really satisfied with its lights - it was worse than my HID but if I had the same lights in my bike I wouldn't change to HID, I suppose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts