Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

HID drop-in into stock 5.75" headlight?

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  sfscrambler 
#1 ·
I know LED's, especially the Cyclops LED are commonly used to replace the stock halogen light in the 5.75" Scrambler headlight housing, but has anyone put an HID in there?

Specifically this kit from the retrofit source (theretrofitsource.com) which is a drop-in HID system with bi-xenon bulb that contains a high-beam solenoid, the proper guard for installing into a reflector housing, and all necessary equipment: Single H4: Morimoto Elite

I'm wondering if anyone has put this in? I'm planning on getting one as I love the HID output and used to have it in my old 600rr and looking to upgrade the Scram but not sure about going with LED if this HID kit is the same price. Usually HID's shouldn't be put into reflector housings, but these bulbs come with the proper shield so that they can be used in a halogen reflector without needing a projector. The 55W 4300k bulb puts out almost 4400 lumens, which is a fair amount more than the LED equivalents!

Thoughts?

#2 ·
My own experience with HID has been appalling (atrocious beam focus leading to significant dazzle) so I'm a little biased, and with this much light any stray light will have a huge impact on oncoming vehicles.

That said, the LEDs that I've just installed are 6000LM so I'll need to make sure they are perfectly aligned.

Another concern with these though is that, despite it being an established product line, it only has 2 reviews and they are from 4 and 5 years ago.

#3 ·
What LEDs did you install? I haven't seen anything that high in output, but I also haven't looked very much.

I've been using products from TRS for years and never had anything but positive experiences with customer service so I have no worry about lack of reviews. But, HIDs in reflectors instead of projectors its always a gamble on what the light pattern will be.

#5 ·
I have the Cyclops LED kit and it is very bright. The biggest problem I can see with that HID kit is the amount of stuff you're going to have to fit inside the headlight bucket. Even the LED bulb took some massaging to fit in there - I think you're going to have a hard time making space for the HID ballast.

#8 ·
Will do, thanks. Also about the Cyclops....I had no idea that the new version put out so much light, so I'm considering that highly.

On these bikes, when you switch to high beam mode does the low beam turn off? With LEDs will the low beam cluster turn off when the high beam cluster turns on? Is that what makes the Cyclops ultra so special, that in high beam mode all of the diodes are lit up still? I guess a multimeter would also answer my question...

#9 ·
Will do, thanks. Also about the Cyclops....I had no idea that the new version put out so much light, so I'm considering that highly.

On these bikes, when you switch to high beam mode does the low beam turn off? With LEDs will the low beam cluster turn off when the high beam cluster turns on? Is that what makes the Cyclops ultra so special, that in high beam mode all of the diodes are lit up still? I guess a multimeter would also answer my question...
Tbh the high beam mode just changes the beam pattern a little bit to light up different parts of the road, but doesn't really produce "brighter" light. I don't use it too much as the the low beam mode is plenty bright.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.