Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys.
Fist of all, I've tried searching. :)
I found little information in regards to my unique problem.
Here it goes...:confused:
The engine is smooth up to about 4500RPM when it starts buzzing putting my hands to sleep after 10-15 min. After about 5500RPM buzz becomes more like hi rev vibration which doesn't put my hands to sleep.
The engine speed falls right between my cruising speed of 65-70MPH. The vibration/buzz is present at about 4500RPM regardless of gear it is in. It is quite discouraging to ride it at sustained speeds for longer then 30 minutes, even though I have ThrottleMeister which helps a lot.
Performance wise my Trophy takes off like a stung rat and does not exhibit any unusual drive-ability problem except dreaded vibration.
Thought it was chain as I've read during research. At any speed I can de-clutch and rev the engine up to duplicate the vibration so I believe it isn't chain related.

Im seeking forum's suggestions on what might be wrong with the engine before I plonk some kelp at vulture's den |dealership|

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Is this a symptom that occurs only at very small throttle openings (as in 'cruising' at a steady speed)? You might just need to synchronize your carbs.

:cool:

·
Registered
653 Posts
I agree "Sync Carbs"

·
Registered
570 Posts
Carb sync first. If that doesn't help, check all the motor mounts and exhaust mounts. If that doesn't fix it, may be time to adjust the crank balancing shaft.

Happy Trails,
Erv

·
Registered
598 Posts
Check the coil

When I first got my Trophy (2002 1200), most of the posts complained about coil problems. I disregarded them until I beghan feeling vibrations at some speeds, deceleration, etc. It continued to get worse, so I made the mistake of taking the bike to Freewheeling in Douglasille, GA. The service manager was new, and hardly out of diapers. He offered three diagnoses over a period of six weeks. First was the computer ox ($800+), next was the carbs ($600+) and finally the coil pack. the coil was about $300 including labor, so I opted for that, and it completely solved the problem. You might want to get the coil checked it does some strange things with these bikes

By the way, the owner of the store is Jim Brannon, a fine gentleman, and he did his best to make it right. When he fires the service manager, The former service was Roger Smith, and he was great. Maybe they'll get their problems solved.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I first got my Trophy (2002 1200), most of the posts complained about coil problems. I disregarded them until I beghan feeling vibrations at some speeds, deceleration, etc. It continued to get worse, so I made the mistake of taking the bike to Freewheeling in Douglasille, GA. The service manager was new, and hardly out of diapers. He offered three diagnoses over a period of six weeks. First was the computer ox ($800+), next was the carbs ($600+) and finally the coil pack. the coil was about $300 including labor, so I opted for that, and it completely solved the problem. You might want to get the coil checked it does some strange things with these bikes

By the way, the owner of the store is Jim Brannon, a fine gentleman, and he did his best to make it right. When he fires the service manager, The former service was Roger Smith, and he was great. Maybe they'll get their problems solved.
Can you describe vibrations you were experiencing before coil R+R pls?

I've done carb sync, it shifted vibes to different RPM spectrum.
Still vibrates, but now at street speeds.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts