Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just bought a 2000 Speed Triple Today! Thought about introducing myself in the proper thread but, lets get real here... Its all about the Speed Triple. To the point, the bike has 25,000 miles on it. A test ride showed some bumps in the power band. As the season is just starting here, I'm hoping some new plugs, fresh oil, and good gas are gonna work out the kinks. I was just wondering if anyone knew of things to look out for on high mileage S3's of my year or any year. Planning on taking it to the dealer for a once over anyways, but any input or knowledge would be appreciated. See you out on the roads!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hey Mate nice choice, For a start make sure the shims have been done, always make sure the battery has a good charge ( A battery tender is a good Idea, sprag clutches can fail if the battery goes bad ) and at 25,000 she's hardly run in. Give her a service, oil change ,Plugs and enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops

Thanks Stampy. That has put me at ease. Shims have been recently done so I should be in good shape. Also, to those who are paying attention, I meant "Speed" not "Street". Late nights and youtubing triumphs can get you a little mixed up.

·
Super Moderator
22,106 Posts
Welcome to TriumphRate.net anrusso.

(I fixed your street/speed typo for you)

If you can take a moment to re-visit your UserCP and fill in your year/model under favorite bike and your location: these will both be listed under your screen-name in the left margin and will serve as ready identifiers for questions down the road.
Also wqe welcome your participation in the sticky gallery thread by adding some pics of your 'new' bike.

You mentioned some 'holes' - do you have any mods, like after-market exhaust, K&N filter etc?
There is a mid-range hole anyway from the factory tune, but if any after-market equipment is added, it would benefit from having the after-market exhaust tune uploaded by your dealer.

Since your valves have been done recently, that is a good thing out of the way!
Be sure that your chain is adjusted appropriately. There is a tendency for some to over-tighten on these bikes - it should look pretty loose if done properly! :p

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MODs

It does have a carbon fiber slip on. There is no name on it, but I have seen '00-'02 Speedies with a similar looking one on. My guess is that it was a factory upgrade option. Haven't checked the air filter. The dips are in the mid range. Hoping the plugs are the problem. Any plug suggestions or are the dealer recommended fine? Also, what is this "after-market exhaust tune upload"? My Buell needed a new chip (electronic control module) to do the proper fuel mapping as well as a sensor reset. I thought I read that the stock system would adjust itself to intake/exhaust changes.

·
Super Moderator
22,106 Posts
It does have a carbon fiber slip on. .... I thought I read that the stock system would adjust itself to intake/exhaust changes.
It sounds like Triumph 'TORS' pipe - Triumph Off Road System

The ECM on a Triumph is re-writable. There are typically three tunes (minimum) available directly from Triumph - stock, after-market 'high' and after-market 'low'.
Your dealer can check which tune is currently installed and if necessary upload one of the 'TORS' tunes to match the pipe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problems Got Worse!

Ok, So I picked up the bike yesterday. I shouldn't have used the term "power band" to refer to the problem I noticed. It was more like inconsistent revving. As I rode it home, the power would pulse at whatever RPM I was at (provided I maintained RPM). It would accelerate fine and the pulsing decreased as I rode it home. I thought it was just dirty fuel injectors. But, after riding it all day, it sputtered out at a stop. On restart, it wants to start and may for a second then sputters out again. It sounded like it ran out of gas, but I know that it had gas (no light, not enough miles, could see gas in tank). I have an appointment at the dealer Monday, any guesses??

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hearing only your description of symptoms, I would guess a fuel problem. I would make sure I had burned out all the old gas, had good, premium fuel in her, maybe run a motorcycle fuel conditioner/injector cleaner, see what happens. Then i would verify i had a good, clean air filter. Next I would check/replace plugs. If I got through those steps, I would come back and ask for more help! Fuel filter??
Always start with the simplest solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts