Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Hi from Papua New Guinea!

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Mountlocal1 
#1 ·
Hey Guys and Girls...

Just a quick post to say hello! An amazing site you have here!

In the process of sorting a Blue 09 Sprint (after seeing the bike on the D&D site) to be put on a boat in the UK and shipped over to home (New Zealand)...

After looking through the stickys and recent threads I have started to organise some bits for what I hope will be the perfect bike for me...

Parts for the usd busa conversion (getting rebuilt / revalved), Ohlins rear, D&D exhaust (mmmm...), dark screen, skiddy hugger, fender eliminator... And the list will probably go on... :D (not much to spend your money on here in PNG!)

Only problem is Im looking at a 3-4 month wait for the bike!!! :eek:

Thanks again for the amazing site and info!

Cheers! :)

#4 ·
Riding in PNG? wow...!

Hey PNG'er, Is it safe to ride in PNG these days? where are you exactly? I used to work in Moresby back in the late 1980's - I would not want to ride around in a motorcycle at night back then....ride safe

#5 ·
Hey PNG'er, Is it safe to ride in PNG these days? where are you exactly? I used to work in Moresby back in the late 1980's - I would not want to ride around in a motorcycle at night back then....ride safe
Hi Aussiematt,

I should have mentioned... The bike will be left in NZ while I work in PNG. Aiming to take 2 weeks off every 3 months and head back to NZ... The bike will be my only transport when visiting home...

I have got a 6 week tour of the Nth and South coming up early next year too... :D

The only problem I can see is its going to be very hard to leave her (sprint) there when I fly back to PNG... :(

I am currently based in Lae.. Ok to drive in a car during the daytime... Wouldnt really recommend driving too much at night.

Amazingly there is a guy here that owns a Hayabusa... There are only two pieces of road he can ride on and they happen to have potholes the size of small sedans.... :eek: The guy must be crazy!

Cheers,

Jamie

#8 ·
Hi Mountlocal1,

welcome to our forum:)

I will not bore you with my spiel as you have read the stickies already.

Where in UnZud are you from mate?

cheers,
DaveM:cool:
Thanks DaveM,
Im from a town by the name of Mount Maunganui... Given its name by the large mountain/big hill at the end of the peninsula..

Bloody Kiwi favouritism

Welcome Mountlocal1 (I hope that name doesn't have any sheep reference

Lots' of good folks here with lots of info. The Blue sprint (and an 09) sounds very sweet. Enjoy!

Russ
Thanks Russ... The only thing I do with sheep is roast and eat them... :D
Im looking forward to becoming a regular!

Cheers!:)

Attachments

#10 ·
We try not to hold that against you Dave :)

Welcome to the forum Mountlocal1. I guess 2 weeks is 3 months is better than nothing but would be hard handle IMO.

At least you'll have something to ache for whilst away in PNG :D I almost took a job up in PNG when I was a young punk chef but decided that I was no match for the rascals!!

#13 ·
Ha ha.. I have thought of that.. The best suited bike would probably be a small Super Motard... Something like a DRZ400SM... No point in getting a bigger bike as its not safe riding on any of the highways..

In all honesty.. I can see myself getting pulled back to NZ permantly by the Triumph... :D

#12 ·
Had some great riding in PNG, was with Air Niugini for 7 years, belonged to Port Moresby Dirt Bike Club and Motaka Speedway.

We had Moto-X events in various PNG districts, Mt. Hagen, Goroka, Lae, Madang and Rabaul and trailed over many more.

Remember it with fond memories but I think I got out in time, seems a more dangerous place now.

--------------
Ride on ! :)

#15 ·
Thanks DEcosse...

It will probably be the last new bike I have so I am wanting something special... Im hoping with the mods I have planned that it will be capable of doing a bit of everything... Touring, Twisties and maybe the occasional track day.

I did indeed base my decision on the pics provided online here and the D&D website. I will still have the cat mid pipe so am hoping it won't be too loud... The build quality looked ok from the photos... Im not a fan of the look of the Tridents... Is there anything else you can recommend?

Appreciate your advice.

Cheers :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.