Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have just started a new project that is getting bigger all the time. It is a 1935 triumph 5/1. It has been sitting in a shed for at least 40 years but still the engine turns over and has compression. Now all I need is all the worn out bits. Does anyone know where I can get a replica tank. Mine seems to be very rusted and dont know if it can be salvaged.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
It is a 1935 triumph 5/1.
A rare bike. Unfortunately this forum being US based deals mostly in the Triumph Twins that were exported to the US from the mid-50's to 1983. Very little before that and certainly not singles. Also the 30's were the "Dark ages" as far as Triumph were concerned as they went out of business, were rescued in the mid 30's and then the factory was reduced to rubble by bombing in 1940. So spares are almost non-existent.

However there are people who can help. Where about are you?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would join a Triumph club that supports the pre-war bikes. I know tanks for my '37 Ariel are being remanufactured in India and the quality is supposed to be good.

Bruce

·
Registered
601 Posts
My tank has many holes in it and where the tap has a crack half way around. All up there are 8 visible holes and a lot of rust can be heardmoving around inside when you shake it. I am in Wollongong Australia. I have a couple of photo's. See what you think.
I can see what you mean about the tanks, for every hole you
see there are three weak spot ready to give up. A replacement
would be great. However, you may have to send your tank into
a shop to have a new one patterened off of it.

It is a shame really that here on Triumph Rat, that there is not
a larger group of people with the prewar units. I would love to
have one, but have been having trouble finding a unit with a
title and the all important money to pay for the ride, Oh someday.

Pookybear

·
Registered
625 Posts
There are several folks here in the States and Canada who could bring that tank back. There has to be SOMEONE in Australia who's good enough with metal to do it. Else, start paying attention to some of the resources specifically for pre-war Triumphs ... there are several people scattered around the world with a lot of knowledge (not to mention parts) and connections for information (and parts!). A good friend of mine is deep into pre-war twins ... I'll inquire if he thinks any of his connections would overlap into the world of Trumpy singles ...

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
just a thought

long shot but have you tried Trojan Classics? (if they don't have a tank they may know someone who can do the repair)

02 9759 6990
Unit 4/117 Punchbowl Road
Belfield, Sydney, 2191

they also have a web store on ebay

always good for a chat about old triumphs too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
hey mate...you can allso try british motor cycles spares at ashfeild in sydney he will find one for you..0297987822.......if i was you id go to a pannel beaters shop and see if they will cut out the rusty parts and weld a new sheet on ,,,,will be the cheap way to go ....albert the tiprat

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Unable to help much with Australian sources but I understand www.britishspares.com/ in New Zealand might know who can help.
Also the Australian branch of Triumph Motorcycle Owners (TOMCC) www.tomcc.com.au and Vintage Motorcycle Club www.vmccnsw.org.au. will have members who are into this.
There is also a Vintage Motorcycle Museum www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.com.au who will be doing their own restorations and will therefore have contacts that they may well pass on.

Hope this is of some use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts