Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to this forum, and Triumph bikes for that matter. I picked up this vandalized what I believe to be a '70 650cc T100R Tiger (engine #KD 27991). I've been looking for original colors, and only found green for this year. Anyone know any others? The engine still turns over, which I think is a good sign. I've still to acquire whitworth tools. I'm hoping I can get this up and running here in '09.
I've a friend down in El Paso who says back in the day he had one of these and that it was a torque monster allowing him to wheelie for about 2 miles down one of those forever desert roads. Truth or fiction? Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
wheelies well whenever someone tells you tails you divide the distance 4 or 8 if there drunk. 2 miles /8 = 1/4 mile 1400-1500 feet.
not bad because I have done this on a old honda cb350.

the thing with riding any farther is the rear brake (used to keep balance) dosen't really work on old bikes making very hard to ride 2 mile long wheelies.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Not exactly torque monsters, but these bikes rev freely and can sustain a higher than expected cruising speed because they run so smoothly, probably smoother than any Triumph except for the 350's which are the same engine with smaller pistons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it seems I am misinformed. Turns out this bike is a 500cc Daytona. One learns a lot on this forum...

·
Registered
625 Posts
As a '70 Daytona colors should be jacaranda purple and silver. Side cover and oil bag would be black. The bike looks complete and shouldn't take much to become a pretty nice ride. Mine didn't have paint all over it (odd vandalization - I'd guess jaded ex-wife) but looked a hell of a lot worse than that one when I got it. 500s are a lot of fun, easy to work on and did I say a lot of fun?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Great project. 500's are cool. I once bought a Norton that was vandalized and left in a garage. One side was completely silver spray painted, tires carb, everything. I traded it to a club member that did a good job restoring it, in less than a year. Just in case you don't know, clean the inside of the motor,( sludge trap) before running it. That is often overlooked disaster , don't depend on luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts